Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 31 May 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post

Je suis ici enfin!

...Slidding doors! Good start.

Sorry I couldn’t find a studlier Mountie for you, ladies. You know I looked.

Here: -

And, "elegant French" - well done you! Mine's, "almost entirely forgotten school French". It's good to know tensions between English and French speakers are disappearing. It benefits no one in the end.

...infused of hay, indeed.

*rolling eyes* What's wrong with chocolate? Chilli-infused, of course!

I feel I should say I can't identify with this: -

Our “Montréal clothes” (I was WAY more vexed about this than a normal person would be, I’m sure ...

...But, alas, I would have been a tad mournful, too. I'd have put a lot of thought into it and been looking forward to it. The Next t-shirts are lovely, too.

...but we just called it “The Butter People”.

Apparently, this one's real butter

Lots to see around Montreal. I've spent time in Toronto and driven across to Kingston, but didn't get as far as Ottawa, never mind Montreal. ...Would love to, though.

Gymnastics...

I'm a bit disappointed not to see a picture of you doing a ...handstand?... in front of the sign, but onwards and upwards...

As for the theatre lighting, wouldn't camera flashes from the audience be more likely to distract the gymnasts in such conditions? *ponders*

Still, this is photo gold

I love it!

Whoops, injuries!

I love the French, I really do - but let’s be honest - organisation is NOT their forte. I’ve been to LOTS of sporting events all over the world - and well, just...no.

Am I the only one who thought "cheese forte", when I read this?
(Taking liberties with language, there, I know. )

Kudos to the Swiss fans. I'm tempted to think that if you dip your whole body in red dye for the event, you should be able to keep your cowbell. Well, maybe not if you're sat right next to me, but a few rows away...

Also, I realise it's not the same, but that kind of level and variety of sensory stimulation (bright lights, big noise, gymnasts to watch in several directions, etc.) could be a lot for anyone. I don't think I'd have been able to read with all that going on. Poot did well. His explanation is très articulate, too.

Shame about the horseboy!

Oh! Just Max in just one final?

I'm not sure I can read on.

But I shall solider on.

Yay, Tink!

She and Mother decided to call Kenzo Shirai (a gymnast from Japan) “Twisty MacTwistyTrews” because he’s good at twisting. They thought this was very funny. But I think it would have been funnier if he had been Scottish - and not Japanese.**

...TR gold!

Interesting what you say about C de S. I haven't been, but when I see bits I think, "Impressive, but I don't think I could sit through a whole show."

The photo of Mont Royal from downtown is a beautiful contrast. Must sign off for now, but back real soon to see how you got up the mountain.

Nice job with the Mountie, there. Oh, Canada!

(...and that's gotta be the name of a male strip group from North of the Border, eh?)

We'll be back in Montreal in 2020 - so we get a do-over on the themed clothes...I'll keep you posted.

Do you remember the butter sculptures from back at the State Fair in post #1?

Well...all the girls who make Princess Kay of the Milky Way's court (and, of course, Princess Kay herself):

...get their heads sculpted from butter. The butter heads are on display in the Dairy Building during the Fair - but after the Fair ends each girl gets to take her butter head home. Many put them out at corn roasts back in their hometowns.

I've never been to Ontario. I've done five provinces and one territory - but still have five provinces and two territories to go. I always thought it would be fun to do a "Bud the Spud" road trip from PEI to Toronto.

I used to sing that song (with the aid of this book) to Poot when he was small...

- he loved it.

"Now, the Ontario Provincial Police don't think much of Bud..."

Back later to finish the rest of this reply!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Bud the Spud! ...The things I learn about in your thread!

Well it's Bud the Spud from the bright red mud
Rollin' down the highway smilin'
The spuds are big on the back of Bud's rig
They're from Prince Edward Island
They're from Prince Edward Island

For some reason it makes me think of this (which is way before our time): -

Roiling, rolling, rolling
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies rolling...

A road trip from PEI to Toronto sounds fab! (I'd extend it down to Niagara, stopping off in Burlington.)

I had forgotten the butter sculpting at the State Fair in post one. Do I have to reread and write all new replies?

Butter seems like it would be a perfect material for sculpting - slicing through a block of cold, hard butter is pretty satisfying - although it does melt quickly and those head portraits can't be that quick to create. Chilled room? Chilled tools? Cold hands (warm heart)!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post

If I remember rightly, it takes about 8 hours to sculpt one of the butter heads. It's always fun to see that day's princess and the sculptress in their parkas.

Words fail to describe the awesomeness of state fairs.

And yay for "Rawhide". We sang a TV theme tune medley in my junior high choir..."Rawhide" was one of the tunes. But my favourite was...

Have gun will travel
Reads the card of a man
A knight without armor
In a savage land.

...Paladin!

I do love Stompin' Tom. Nothing like a story song. R.I.P., man from the North Country.

Niagara Falls is a place I'm dying to visit. The wonders of creation...and...

...beef on weck.

Back to PREVIOUS REPLY...

Photo gold, indeed. You get plus ten for kindness but minus fifty for LYING.

...and...

...if you dip your whole body in red dye for the event, you should be able to keep your cowbell.

If I'm ever in charge of an international sporting event, I will print this ^^^ on all the tickets. Dip your body, keep your cowbell.

Perhaps you had to be there, but I swear "Twisty MacTwistyTrews" was really funny. And we were stone cold sober - the cheapest drinks in the stadium were $13!

I class Cirque du Soleil in the same category as noodly jazz...technically impressive - but leaves me cold. <<Looks around for CdS apologists>> To be frank, I always get a sort of "Emperor's New Clothes" feeling when I see them. <<Ducks and covers>>
Old 31 May 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Those butter head sculptures are incredible (or perhaps butterific )
The people who create them must be so talented, I can't believe they use that artistic flair to sculpt butter.

I would love to go to a state fair. The country shows here are ok but I feel the American version would put them to shame.

I saw 2 Cirque Du Soleil shows while on 2 trips to Las Vegas.
One was set in a forest and was pretty dull.
The other was Kã at the MGM Grand and it was stunning. I think the fact it had an actual storyline helped, plus as a drama/theatre student I really appreciated the staging - which has since been on an episode of CSI. The whole stage is on a hydraulic and it moves about, which is pretty cool - though not as cool as a head made of chilled butter.

I'm not sureif it was this thread where we were talking about Doctor Who and it being scary (and the delicious David Tennant as Casanova), but the earlier series of the modern DW reboot are quite fun. They were on at teatime on a Saturday and were written by Russell T Davies who wrote not only Casanova but a number of children's programmes.
'Rose' is the first episode of the reboot, but you could start with 'The Christmas Invasion' which is David Tennant's first episode, a lot of fun and aired mid afternoon on Christmas Day so not scary at all.

I've only changed planes in Canada, but Vancouver airport is the most pleasant airport I have ever been to.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Those butter head sculptures are incredible (or perhaps butterific )
The people who create them must be so talented, I can't believe they use that artistic flair to sculpt butter.

I would love to go to a state fair. The country shows here are ok but I feel the American version would put them to shame.

I saw 2 Cirque Du Soleil shows while on 2 trips to Las Vegas.
One was set in a forest and was pretty dull.
The other was Kã at the MGM Grand and it was stunning. I think the fact it had an actual storyline helped, plus as a drama/theatre student I really appreciated the staging - which has since been on an episode of CSI. The whole stage is on a hydraulic and it moves about, which is pretty cool - though not as cool as a head made of chilled butter.

I'm not sureif it was this thread where we were talking about Doctor Who and it being scary (and the delicious David Tennant as Casanova), but the earlier series of the modern DW reboot are quite fun. They were on at teatime on a Saturday and were written by Russell T Davies who wrote not only Casanova but a number of children's programmes.
'Rose' is the first episode of the reboot, but you could start with 'The Christmas Invasion' which is David Tennant's first episode, a lot of fun and aired mid afternoon on Christmas Day so not scary at all.

I've only changed planes in Canada, but Vancouver airport is the most pleasant airport I have ever been to.
The best airport is Detroit (DFW). It has poor shopping and could be cleaner...but there's a restaurant in one of the domestic terminals that serves OUTSTANDING patty melts.

For a while Northwest wasn't running a non-stop between London and Saint Paul...but I wasn't sorry, because changing planes at DFW meant I got a patty melt.

A storyline is always appreciated (I'm looking at you, Na'vi River Journey) - when D-Bro and I saw La Nouba at Disney World my lasting impressions were of a woman caterwauling and some BMX bikes. I suppose that's artistic in French. I kid, but not really.

Interestingly, when I searched for "Ka Cirque Las Vegas", what came up was "The Slave Cage - Wheel of Death".

I didn't know you had it in you, sister.

I'm guessing we're all hoping that the new DISNEY-themed CdS production at DS will delight. I think some of the Disney films would really lend themselves well to the CdS treatment; "Fantasia" springs to mind.

And I *think* this was the David Tennant Appreciation Society thread...but the suggestions are appreciated even if it wasn't.

So far Poot seems to have zero interest in science fiction (takes after his father, such a shame) - but has enjoyed both The Hobbit and LOTR. We've not watched the films yet; I am rather dreading the nine hour-long Hobbit marathon.
Old 31 May 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

I'm a big fan of the Denver airport. Lots of really really weird art, and tons of good places to eat.

IIRC, Minneapolis also has really wonderful shops.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
If I remember rightly, it takes about 8 hours to sculpt one of the butter heads. It's always fun to see that day's princess and the sculptress in their parkas.

Words fail to describe the awesomeness of state fairs.

And yay for "Rawhide". We sang a TV theme tune medley in my junior high choir..."Rawhide" was one of the tunes. But my favourite was...

Have gun will travel
Reads the card of a man
A knight without armor
In a savage land.

...Paladin!

I do love Stompin' Tom. Nothing like a story song. R.I.P., man from the North Country.

Niagara Falls is a place I'm dying to visit. The wonders of creation...and...

...beef on weck.

Back to PREVIOUS REPLY...

...and...

...if you dip your whole body in red dye for the event, you should be able to keep your cowbell.

If I'm ever in charge of an international sporting event, I will print this ^^^ on all the tickets. Dip your body, keep your cowbell.

Perhaps you had to be there, but I swear "Twisty MacTwistyTrews" was really funny. And we were stone cold sober - the cheapest drinks in the stadium were $13!

I class Cirque du Soleil in the same category as noodly jazz...technically impressive - but leaves me cold. <<Looks around for CdS apologists>> To be frank, I always get a sort of "Emperor's New Clothes" feeling when I see them. <<Ducks and covers>>

and

...You underestimate the pathways of my brain! I sincerely do love the photo and I really do love "Twisty MacTwistyTrews"!

I don't really have much to say about jazz music except to say I agree with you. The more technical and progressive it, apparently, is, the more it gives me a headache! Mainly, I wanted to post this

He seems like he's probably more mellow!

Fantasia for C du S sounds like a wonderful idea. Disney, take note.

P.S. Glad you know Rawhide.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

On a completely different note. For a week or so, I gave the "like button" a go.

It was a low-key trial (I wasn't going "like button mad" ), but I thought I should try before I buy reject.

Verdict? It can be handy as an acknowledgement, but, overall, it doesn't make me feel good -- so, actual replies it is!

Old 1 Jun 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I'm a big fan of the Denver airport. Lots of really really weird art, and tons of good places to eat.

IIRC, Minneapolis also has really wonderful shops.
I KNOW I have posted this before (sorry)...but Reykjavik Airport used to (perhaps still does) have a massive painting along one side of the terminal. It was a big grey rectangle with a red line across the middle. And what was this hideous, depressing thing called?

Yes, in true Scandinavian fashion, it was called: Ode to Life

I don't know "Minneapolis" Airport...do you perhaps mean Minneapolis Saint Paul Airport?

MSP does have Snoopy statues...and you can't go wrong with those:

and

...You underestimate the pathways of my brain! I sincerely do love the photo and I really do love "Twisty MacTwistyTrews"!

I don't really have much to say about jazz music except to say I agree with you. The more technical and progressive it, apparently, is, the more it gives me a headache! Mainly, I wanted to post this

He seems like he's probably more mellow!

Fantasia for C du S sounds like a wonderful idea. Disney, take note.

P.S. Glad you know Rawhide.
OK, I totally need the lady version of that gopher/prairie dog - it could be my avatar!

<<Goes to look for an image of a gopher wearing a bonnet...>>

Oh, dear...I could only find this gopher in a WITCH COSTUME...

On a completely different note. For a week or so, I gave the "like button" a go.

It was a low-key trial (I wasn't going "like button mad" ), but I thought I should try before I buy reject.

Verdict? It can be handy as an acknowledgement, but, overall, it doesn't make me feel good -- so, actual replies it is!
There is another thread that you and I are both following...I'm sure you know the one I mean.

And I think it's the perfect example of the "Like"/comment difference. A comment has to be 100 times more helpful. It HAS to be.
Old 1 Jun 18, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Saint Paul...Saint Paul... Hmmmm... doesn't ring a bell.

Just kidding
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List