Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 Jun 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

But there photos of the parents with the Big Macs - it must be true! I still appreciate what he's trying to do with his many campaigns, I didn't realise I was such a fan until this thread

I find the trend of 'old fashioned' names being used for babies now quite baffling but names are such a subjective thing - expect for maybe Infinite!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

April- are you the one who wants grapes in your mixed fruits?

I had a fruit cup this weekend at a conference that made me laugh and I took a photo of, because it had a SINGLE grape. But now i'm not sharing the photo because I don't know if it was your thread or not...
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
rosered
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
And as to my Christian name, it's too late to think about alternatives now! But there are some lovely ladies' names in my extended family...I could have been named after one of my wonderful grandmothers or aunties...Audrey, Adele, Helen, Dorothy, Grace, etc...

Our DD3 is called Helen, I think it is a lovely name but she hates it, apparently it is old fashioned. She has friends called Dolores and Matilda which according to her aren't old fashioned names at all
rosered is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

This is much more my style! 😂

As for names, mine was super common - I blame my Mother and The Beatles. Michelle was very very common, there were 7 of us in my first year of High School and my best friend was also Michelle. I think April is a lovely name and I agree with Duchy, it really would only be an issue if you were Mrs Showers 😁
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

I knew multiple Aprils growing up. I don't find it to be an odd name at all.

I don't mind weird names as long as it is clearly a name. Like "North" or "Bear" those things are weird.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
But there photos of the parents with the Big Macs - it must be true! I still appreciate what he's trying to do with his many campaigns, I didn't realise I was such a fan until this thread

I find the trend of 'old fashioned' names being used for babies now quite baffling but names are such a subjective thing - expect for maybe Infinite!
But there are photos of the parents with the Big Macs - it must be true!

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
April- are you the one who wants grapes in your mixed fruits?

I had a fruit cup this weekend at a conference that made me laugh and I took a photo of, because it had a SINGLE grape. But now i'm not sharing the photo because I don't know if it was your thread or not...
Lol, yes.

From "And When...":

I am always amused by Disney’s definition of fresh fruit… ‘cause you know that in the Disney Dictionary, “Fresh Fruit” ALWAYS MEANS MELON (i.e. - the CHEAPEST fruit). Our melon bowl did have ONE grape, set on top of the chunks of melon like a maraschino cherry atop a sundae.

The PRECIOUS:

So it isn't that I am particularly pro-grape. Rather, I am anti-cheapskate melon. Two chunks of anaemic cantaloupe do not a fruit salad make!

Originally Posted by rosered View Post
Our DD3 is called Helen, I think it is a lovely name but she hates it, apparently it is old fashioned. She has friends called Dolores and Matilda which according to her aren't old fashioned names at all
So many tiny Matildas running around these days! I'm just waiting for "Ethel" to come back...

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post

This is much more my style! 😂

As for names, mine was super common - I blame my Mother and The Beatles. Michelle was very very common, there were 7 of us in my first year of High School and my best friend was also Michelle. I think April is a lovely name and I agree with Duchy, it really would only be an issue if you were Mrs Showers 😁
I can't remember if I've bored you with this before () - but I didn't learn French until I was an adult. As a kid I thought the words to "Michelle" were:

Michelle, my belle, someday monkeys play piano songs - play piano songs...

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I knew multiple Aprils growing up. I don't find it to be an odd name at all.

I don't mind weird names as long as it is clearly a name. Like "North" or "Bear" those things are weird.
Try explaining it in French. Or Spanish.

"But surely 'April' is a month...not a name! What was your mother thinking?"

I am pro names which are names in every language. Michael, Michel, Miguel, Mihkail, etc...

Once I started reading a trippie on another site - and I had to give it up - because the author's son was called "Raider". I just couldn't do it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Two of my cousins have Rachel as a middle name (the Jewish convention is you can only name a child after a deceased relative never a living one so names tend to skip a generation) and one of my middle names is the femine version of my Uncle's name who died shortly before I was born (yes two middle names and a fairly long originally Lithuanian maiden name ... what were my parents thinking !)

As for song lyrics ... whenever Grease pops up on TV we all sing along to "You're the wobbly dog"

I once had the experience of teaching a kid whose parents despite giving him a nice bog standard name insisted the poor kid was known at school as "Buster" ... no wonder he had behaviour issues !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

“This is the doggy moggy age of Aquarius”...
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

I am pro names which are names in every language. Michael, Michel, Miguel, Mihkail, etc...

Once I started reading a trippie on another site - and I had to give it up - because the author's son was called "Raider". I just couldn't do it.
Maybe Raider was a pseudonym for the internet? I hope.

I think Jessica is recognized as a name most places I go, but it isn't a name everywhere. When I go to Mexico I get called "Yessica" (oddly I thought it would sound more Hessica, but it doesn't, I think it is because they are trying to use a different J sound to match an American name? I don't know.)

We found that if I write my name on the dive gear tags as "Yessica" then most of the time it gets me called Jessica; but occasionally someone will think "she's American- the Y sounds different there" and then I still get called Yessica.
Old 12 Jun 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

From "And When...":

I am always amused by Disney’s definition of fresh fruit… ‘cause you know that in the Disney Dictionary, “Fresh Fruit” ALWAYS MEANS MELON (i.e. - the CHEAPEST fruit). Our melon bowl did have ONE grape, set on top of the chunks of melon like a maraschino cherry atop a sundae.

The PRECIOUS:

So it isn't that I am particularly pro-grape. Rather, I am anti-cheapskate melon. Two chunks of anaemic cantaloupe do not a fruit salad make!

Ah, then this one wasn't so bad. It was mostly pineapple, which is typically one of my favorite fruits (sometimes you get some really bland pineapple.)

Speaking of bland fruit- my husband just got back from Mexico- he has been raving about the amazing bananas there. And it is so true. A banana in Mexico is one of the greatest foods I've ever eaten. It's the eat local thing? Food that isn't picked too early so that it can be shipped just tastes a million times better.