Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Oct 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Which do you prefer? Virgin or BA?

Hello Dibbers,

So we are again, tentatively dipping our toes into a Florida booking for Very end of May next year.
Found our villa now it's time for flights. DH has point blank refused to fly indirect and as the only car driver, his tiredness level dictates the flight length.
Anyway, I am looking at Virgin, flying out Economy classic, flying back Premium, OR British Airways, flying out Economy, flying in Premium Economy.
There is £110 difference in the price, sooooo which would you jump for? do you prefer Virgin over BA? DO you find one's food and service better than the other?
Please help a girl out here, or even throw other airlines at us if you think they are better! I am all ears to the knowledge of the Dibb

Edited at 11:40 AM.
jakesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

If you want direct, those are your only two choices at the moment unless TUI is flying on your dates - they only run seasonally and I believe not daily. But note they will land in Melbourne rather than Orlando, so DH would have to be happy with a longer drive. No experience personally since they don't fly in winter.

So back to BA/VS... In economy, pretty much no difference. But in premium, depends which plane VS is scheduled to use. If it's an older one (e.g. A330-300) with the 22" seats, VS wins hands down. But if it's the newer A350 with the 18" seats, they're pretty much the same as BA now. There's a good chance they may change the plane you're on though, so no guarantee of getting the older cabin.

Have had good and bad service in all classes on both airlines, it's luck of the draw depending on the crew. I'd say food is much the same as well. Maybe slightly better on Virgin, but certainly not enough to swing the vote. I always take my own snacks.

If DH is happy with the longer drive and you're flying from London, also consider Gatwick to Tampa on BA. It's usually much cheaper than MCO, and immigration is better since it's a smaller airport.

FWIW, I booked with BA. They have a better cabin baggage allowance and felt in the current climate, it was worth booking with a larger operator. If I have to cancel these flights, I have more options to rebook onto compared to the tiny route options offered by VS.

Edited at 11:58 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
If you want direct, those are your only two choices at the moment unless TUI is flying on your dates - they only run seasonally and I believe not daily. But note they will land in Melbourne rather than Orlando, so DH would have to be happy with a longer drive. No experience personally since they don't fly in winter.

So back to BA/VS... In economy, pretty much no difference. But in premium, depends which plane VS is scheduled to use. If it's an older one (e.g. A330-300) with the 22" seats, VS wins hands down. But if it's the newer A350 with the 18" seats, they're pretty much the same as BA now.

Have had good and bad service in all classes on both airlines, it's luck of the draw depending on the crew. I'd say food is much the same as well. Maybe slightly better on Virgin, but certainly not enough to swing the vote.

If DH is happy with the longer drive and you're flying from London, also consider Gatwick to Tampa on BA. It's usually much cheaper than MCO, and immigration is better since it's a smaller airport.

FWIW, I booked with BA. They have a better cabin baggage allowance and felt in the current climate, it was better to book with a larger operator. If I have to cancel these flights, I have more options to rebook onto compared to the tiny route options offered by VS.
Thank you for replying!

Unfortunately DH hates Gatwick with a passion and wants heathrow (yes I really do have to deal with things like this with him )
I've just checked at it's saying V330-300 for the plane, so that's the older style with the bigger seats?
it's £2694 for the three of us which is way more than previous years but i'm assuming this is just what Post Covid is going to be like price wise
Now do I jump ship and lock in my prices or sit and pray for a price drop of some sort!
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I get that, I hate Heathrow with a passion. Having to fly there though since I need MCO and BA aren't running those out of Gatwick on the winter schedule.

Looks like you cross-posted with my edit. I added there's no guarantee that the plane will stay the same, VS have been changing their schedules a lot recently. There's also a second A350 leisure due in a few months which they may shift more flights to depending what route it ends up servicing.

If the network limits and possibility of the 18" seat aren't deal breakers (both are for me) then I would probably go with VS and cross fingers they don't change the schedule. But I love those 22" seats, I've been mad about it ever since they unveiled the A350 cabin nearly 3 years ago now.

Edited at 12:10 PM.
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

We usually fly BA as we have tied ourselves to BA through the executive club and collecting miles, but I otherwise don’t really have a preference and it wouldn’t bother me which I fly on. I flew Virgin on my last trip due to BA strike action and I didn’t think it was any better or worse than BA.

I know you haven’t asked but if I were doing one leg premium economy and one economy, I would go premium economy on the way out. Reasons being it is a longer flight and would put me in a better position for arriving at Orlando immigration, especially if it is Virgin premium economy as they disembark first, even before Upper.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I know you haven’t asked but if I were doing one leg premium economy and one economy, I would go premium economy on the way out. Reasons being it is a longer flight and would put me in a better position for arriving at Orlando immigration, especially if it is Virgin premium economy as they disembark first, even before Upper.
This was true on the 747 due to the tiny Upper cabin, but not on the A330.
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

We usually fly BA as we have tied ourselves to BA through the executive club and collecting miles, but I otherwise don’t really have a preference and it wouldn’t bother me which I fly on. I flew Virgin on my last trip due to BA strike action and I didn’t think it was any better or worse than BA.

That's good to know that they are much of a muchness, we were looking at Premium back so we would have more chance of sleeping and for the extra luggage, but now i'm wondering about doing Economy delight back and paying £65 each for 2 spare suitcases . .
We get special assistance so the premium check in and getting off first make no difference to us, we always get checked in at the premium desk, and taken off the plane last as we have to wait for wheelchairs
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I agree with Claudette, we mainly travel BA to the USA as we collect and use Avios and for me their system of booking Avios flights is simpler than the VS system (maybe because I haven't used it enough)

Other than that tie in I would fly whichever is cheapest one I had factored in seat selection costs etc which are free for us as we are BA silver. My husband will only sit in a window seat! Husbands grrr...

We fly other providers to the far east as they provide a so much better product, flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines next year I hope.

For the US fly the cheaper one!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Going off topic now, but can't wait until I'm back on a SQ flight munmun. The Transatlantic carriers just do not compare.
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

When comparing prices, also consider whether advance seat selection is important to you. Virgin includes advance seat selection in the price for both Economy Classic and PE, whereas BA does not in either cabin (unless you qualify via another means, such as airline status, disability or travelling with an infant).

If you are someone who likes to book seats in advance of check-in, booking seats in both directions with BA could eat a significant chunk of a £110 price difference.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List