Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Oct 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Look at both the amendment/ cancellation policies. I know ba are doing free amendments until the end of august, and refunds (for a voucher). Plus if you turn it into a package with a car or hotel, then you pay a really low deposit. I’m not sure about virgin.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
When comparing prices, also consider whether advance seat selection is important to you. Virgin includes advance seat selection in the price for both Economy Classic and PE, whereas BA does not in either cabin (unless you qualify via another means, such as airline status, disability or travelling with an infant).

If you are someone who likes to book seats in advance of check-in, booking seats in both directions with BA could eat a significant chunk of a £110 price difference.
Yep, we are one of the ones who get free seat selection due to disability, one of the few perks of a body that doesn't work properly
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
Look at both the amendment/ cancellation policies. I know ba are doing free amendments until the end of august, and refunds (for a voucher). Plus if you turn it into a package with a car or hotel, then you pay a really low deposit. I’m not sure about virgin.
Oh that's an interesting point, we booked with BA on our cancelled trip and have to say, their amendment policy and super quick refund of our money when it was cancelled was a really huge thumbs up to us.

I have forgotten about that so thank you!
Old 8 Oct 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Over the years we have used both , it depended on convenience , price, flights times etc .

Heathrow is our preference due to location

Sometimes flights have been disrupted by other passengers and FA's have not stepped in which has made for uncomfortable flights.

Sometimes the seats have been broken which is uncomfortable

Food- Good and Bad on both but also great on both , I do think Virgin has the upper hand on the food in PE and EC

BA premium is ok, but two years ago the flight was on newer plane LGW - MCO and return , the return flight was stifling as there were no overhead vents just in the ceiling above , I am sure someone can verify which plane it was I am not too plane savvy ( if it has seats and gets me there all's ok )

BA also charge for seat selection , which Virgin don't in Premium ..not sure about EC as haven't been in EC for a while

But from a personal point of view BA have been absolutely abominable since at least Early August we have not been able to get hold of them , no answer to emails , Twitter has been mayhem , they cancelled a flight to Toronto for us next month and when we managed to get hold of them to ask why ... their answer was we don't know and we will pass you over to colleagues to discuss , then we got cut off .

In total we have called them over 50 times , emailed and as we have a Future travel voucher from our original US flight the only way you can use it is by calling.
So BA are now holding £750 of our FTV and have been since 1st September
Back to VS for us and keeping our fingers crossed.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

I've always flown Virgin since the 80s and loved them with a passion. I flew every cabin on every aircraft type except the A350.

That was up until the pandemic. They didn't handle refunds very well at all and had an unfair and archaic change policy that discriminated against those who booked before Covid.

I'm now booked to take my first long-haul BA flight in 21 years. Last time was in CW where they had the "cradle" seat. Looking forward to seeing how things have changed!
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Going off topic now, but can't wait until I'm back on a SQ flight munmun. The Transatlantic carriers just do not compare.
What's an SQ flight for those of us who only know flights in proper words? The only SQ I know is square, eg sq ft.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

BA cancelled me in March of 2020 and I had my money back within 9 days (7 working). This enabled me to book with American for August of 2020. If I had been a Virgin customer, I would only just have got my refund back or maybe still have been waiting by the time I was due to fly again.

When August of 2020 was cancelled , I received my refund from American after 7 days. I was thus able to book Aug of 2021 almost straight away with BA.

When Aug of 2021 was cancelled, BA refunded me after 5 days and I was able to immediately go and book Easter of 2022… with American.

For the reasons above, there can only be one answer. One of the companies obeyed the law throughout and immediately refunded whilst the other did not. That puts BA (and AA) on my ‘Go to’ list along with Delta and United who have been very good with refunds on US regional flights, whilst the other I will never use again as I no longer have any trust in them at all to refund in the event that they are once more in trouble.

When I book my California tickets for Oct 2022 , it will highly likely be on BA release at 355 days. If I am disappointed with the prices (and I won’t be as they are remarkably stable right now for into SFO and out of San Diego), then I will wait on 330 days with American, United or Delta entering the market.

Quality of seats, food etc are utterly irrelevant to me when compared with trust and legal compliance. It will be Coach exit row out and Premium economy home. As I don’t like paying extra APD.

Edited at 01:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
What's an SQ flight for those of us who only know flights in proper words? The only SQ I know is square, eg sq ft.
SQ is the airline code for Singapore Airlines
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

I prefer virgin - I think the whole experience and customer service is better.

That said I will always book the cheapest but when I say cheapest I include the hidden seat selection charges in that.

I think Virgin has much newer aircraft too, especially if the A350 is deployed on the Orlando route.
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

BA goes from LHR, I don’t know if VS have moved from Gatwick too ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List