Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Dec 21, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The BMW App is good, I can see where my car is, what the diesel level is, the trips it's done, turn on the air to heat the car before getting in without turning the engine on and a host of other things - None of which I use.
Do you use the digital key or a hard key still?
Old 3 Dec 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Do you use the digital key or a hard key still?
YT. There is no hard key and no keyhole either. Thankfully this car has 2 digital keys not like the last one that had one digital and another one that was over £500 and the size of a mobile phone! Never used that one at all.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Be hard to get in mine then as there is no key!
So no normal key fob to open doors etc?

That could make life a pain
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

YT. There is no hard key and no keyhole either. Thankfully this car has 2 digital keys not like the last one that had one digital and another one that was over £500 and the size of a mobile phone! Never used that one at all.
So you get no key fob at all now then with them?

Interestingly was also reading about a new car thieves’ method- if they now spot a high value vehicle in car parks are sticking Apple Air Tags on them so they can track them to the owner’s house - and attempt a theft later.
Old 4 Dec 21, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I am not aware Kia has this yet. Or Hyundai.
I'll order a key pouch then - another Chrissy present for DH. Thank you
Old 4 Dec 21, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
l know of a person that has a tidy BMW that may be considered desirable to a car thief so every night he places the key in a faraday pouch and then pops the pouch in a box just to be safe

but the car does not even have keyless entry but he is adamant that that is what he has to do to keep his car safe
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Audi A5s certainly from a few years ago have a high vulnerability. Our town has had a spate of thefts, including my next door neighbour who had his taken a year ago. Thieves did not even have to relay, there was a device which gave them access to remotely open the door and then they started it up via the OBD port. I was amazed to watch the CCTV, as no relay required. I know quite a bit about this stuff and even I was surprised to see how they got in that. The gang with the same device took multiple A5s and Q5s from our town. However a 70 reg may have new key, I’d check. But as it wasn’t a relay, the key may not save it unless they have plugged the vulnerability. I would recommend a steering lock on the A5 currently.

Best keys are BMW. They now have the motion sensor in, but give loads of data on interrogation. As long as it’s driven a minimal distance for example, with a BMW key you can see how far it’s driven, when the key was last used etc all from reading it. Best technology. Merc is also good.

BMW are going the way of Tesla Model 3 and also introducing an iKey across the range which is an app and can be used with an Apple phone, quite securely.
The more I read up on this the more worried it makes me. I am reading articles where people are broken into to get the keys

This is the nicest car we have ever has and it really looks lovely too as the colour is unusual. Its also the S line which makes it looks really good.

Why can't you have nice things without someone wanting to take it from you! What a world

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List