Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
Megan will be going crazy. You can see it now.

Megan: “what the hell were you thinking?” “I’ve told you not to put your foot in it” “this in not England, this place is way more important”

Harry: “Yes Megan, no Megan, sorry Megan”

Them Yanks don’t like people telling them their constitution is bonkers, even if parts are.
Actually them Yanks are quite proud of the fact that they are FREE to say it’s bonkers if they feel that way (key word free) thanks to the sacrifice of others.
Harry isn’t a Yank the last time I checked. So if he thinks it’s bonkers he should go home.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
No worries in a few years, he will be divorced, back in the Royal Fold and he will still be trying to convince the world... Charles is his dad.

Do people really believe that he isn’t?
He and Charles are so alike - much more so than William who resembles Diana much more.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MamatoFelix
VIP Dibber

Is saying something is bonkers actually condemning or attacking it though? When you read what he said in context (below) it’s really not that bad. I mean I get it’s a sensitive topic but from what I remember from listening to the podcast it was the host that brought up the subject first. A lot of this has been sensationalised by the UK media.

“I’ve got so much I want to say about the First Amendment as I sort of understand it, but it is bonkers.

“I don’t want to start going down the First Amendment route because that’s a huge subject and one which I don’t understand because I’ve only been here a short time.
California, Arizona and Nevada - 19
MamatoFelix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Actually them Yanks are quite proud of the fact that they are FREE to say it’s bonkers if they feel that way (key word free) thanks to the sacrifice of others.
Harry isn’t a Yank the last time I checked. So if he thinks it’s bonkers he should go home.
To be pedantic. Wasn't Harry just exercising his 1st amendment rights? I found this on a legal website in the US. Not sure how accurate it is but thought it interesting.

Nowhere in the first 10 amendments to the Constitution is the word “citizen.” Often it is written “The right of the people…” The Bill of Rights protects everyone, including undocumented immigrants, to exercise free speech, religion, assembly, and to be free from unlawful government interference.
Old 17 May 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
To be pedantic. Wasn't Harry just exercising his 1st amendment rights? I found this on a legal website in the US. Not sure how accurate it is but thought it interesting.

Nowhere in the first 10 amendments to the Constitution is the word “citizen.” Often it is written “The right of the people…” The Bill of Rights protects everyone, including undocumented immigrants, to exercise free speech, religion, assembly, and to be free from unlawful government interference.
Yep. Fortunately this document covers him as well as everyone else here. He is free to be as critical as he wishes without the fear of being kicked out of the country.
I think that what is leaving such a bad taste in people’s mouth’s about it is that he purposely came here in order to be ‘free’ of the supposedly horrific life he lead in Britain. And to pursue quite a lucrative career as a public person. So he’s criticizing the founding documents of the country that for the most part welcome him with open arms?
Certainly not illegal. Just really classless and tacky.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I agree that his comments seem unwise, but under the 1st amendment wouldn't it cover the person's right to criticise the 1st amendment?
I think you’re correct, but for me it’s the old adage, just because you can say something doesn’t mean you should!
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think what we are down to is respect.

When I visit a foreign nation, I am respectful of dress codes, customs and traditions, taking the time to learn what is appropriate and what is not. I would never, ever deride a Nation or it’s laws in front of its citizens.
Whilst there are other nations who’s laws, customs and even traditions I find abhorrent, for this reason I would never visit them.

Harry (and Megan whilst in the U.K.) seem oblivious to this basic courtesy.. or believe themselves above it, such is their insufferable arrogance.

Harry would do well to remind himself that he has burnt most, if not all bridges in his homeland, despite having had privileges and patronage’s beyond the reach of practically anybody else and now seems determined to do the same in his new one.

The boy is clearly as thick as clotted cream.

Edited at 03:30 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Hi TC!

Sharp point, as always! (Missing your puns, lately, by the way.)

It's what he's trying to influence by saying it (and generally), I think.

It's such a tangled web.
Hi Bianca

Not posting so much at the moment. Probably a relief for those with bad joke intolerance.

Hope you're well.

TC
Old 17 May 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Hi Bianca

Not posting so much at the moment. Probably a relief for those with bad joke intolerance.

Hope you're well.

TC
Had a bit too much Dibbing time lately, but light at the end of the tunnel, now thanks.

Really hope things are good for you and your family.

How much to post is a very personal thing, isn't it it? ...But your post has actually reminded me that I had resolved to focus on humour and positive things.

So, I must follow my own 'advice' to H&M and repurpose my own attention!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MamatoFelix View Post
“I’ve got so much I want to say about the First Amendment as I sort of understand it, but it is bonkers.

“I don’t want to start going down the First Amendment route because that’s a huge subject and one which I don’t understand because I’ve only been here a short time.
I haven't listened to his podcast (like I said earlier, I'd guess he's generating media interest on purpose) but based on the above, it's not clear whether he's saying the First Amendment is bonkers or whether he's saying that the things he wants to say about the First Amendment are bonkers.

I guessing the only area he would have an issue with is specifically the freedom of press?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread