Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jan 22, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
For me I think people who are looking for the same experience they know and remember from years past are the ones who are having a harder time finding the Disney Magic.

My upcoming trip will be different to previous years, its a more relaxed resort style trip. I remember back to when Disneyland California was closed and the feelings I had then, when we were banned from entering USA and LA locals were posting videos and photos of a deserted Downtown Disney and the locked Disneyland Gates. Knowing that it could be taken from us, that even the park that Walt built was closed, really brought home how serious the whole Covid situation is. Watching those videos, I vowed not to take going to a Disney Park for granted ever again.

I said back then and I still feel the same way, I just want to be in the parks, and be surrounded by the sights, sounds and smells.

One thing I have planned for my trip is to buy a corn dog and just sit on a bench on Main Street / The Hub and just soak up the atmosphere and be thankful that the parks are open and that the travel ban has been removed.
This is what we'd hoped for

It was our first trip to Orlando as a couple as our kids are now young men.
We had not planned to run around the rides as we usually 'have' to do.
We'd planned a pleasant stroll round the parks, not too bothered about rides, stopping for coffee etc taking in the atmosphere and all the details we'd not had time to do before as our holidays were always so full on.

Unfortunately, we found there was no-where to sit with a coffee if we'd got one ,even all the street benches walls plantpots etc were crowded, huge queues for coffee in all the parks (and snacks at Epcot World Showcase)
We were often moving as one herd, unable to stop and take in any details. It was not relaxing at all. In fact we walked out of Animal Kingdom one day after being in less than an hour.

Maybe we were unlucky, I don't know

We did spend a few days on the Gulf Coast before going home, and that was as relaxing as ever, thankfully.

I hope others have a better experience
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Yensid25
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
hmmm a mixed bag really. 99% of CMs had the same disney magic as always. Missed having the dining plan. Missed being in OKW as it's just too darned expensive. Missed proper mouse keeping. Missed the shows such as Lion King and Beauty and the beast as they were. It's a different experience with genie plus, i think we'll just need to re think the way we do things to maximise our time. Luckily most people that go haven't a clue so we've always got that advantage! Didn't like having to spend as money on food etc. Missed the choice of merchandise. But, for the most part we had a great time. Sunshine, good food and cocktails and some really good rides. Booked to go again in September so can't be that bad. I think some of it is attitude, things change and you have that choice as to how you see it.
Hey do you mind if I ask what has happened with lion king and beauty and the beast? Are they still on?
Yensid25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Yensid25 View Post
Hey do you mind if I ask what has happened with lion king and beauty and the beast? Are they still on?
The CMs are still socially distanced, so some scenes are either missing or have been modified. For example, there's no tumble monkeys for Lion King.

I thought they were decent shows given the limitations, but not as good as they once were.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
The CMs are still socially distanced, so some scenes are either missing or have been modified. For example, there's no tumble monkeys for Lion King.

I thought they were decent shows given the limitations, but not as good as they once were.
yeah, missed those and the trapeze bit still i was sat in the warm in Florida
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
This is what we'd hoped for

It was our first trip to Orlando as a couple as our kids are now young men.
We had not planned to run around the rides as we usually 'have' to do.
We'd planned a pleasant stroll round the parks, not too bothered about rides, stopping for coffee etc taking in the atmosphere and all the details we'd not had time to do before as our holidays were always so full on.

Unfortunately, we found there was no-where to sit with a coffee if we'd got one ,even all the street benches walls plantpots etc were crowded, huge queues for coffee in all the parks (and snacks at Epcot World Showcase)
We were often moving as one herd, unable to stop and take in any details. It was not relaxing at all. In fact we walked out of Animal Kingdom one day after being in less than an hour.

Maybe we were unlucky, I don't know

We did spend a few days on the Gulf Coast before going home, and that was as relaxing as ever, thankfully.

I hope others have a better experience
when did you go? Americans like us are travelling more domestically so Christmas season which is traditionally a high crowd season was expected to be very busy this year. I'm going in a few weeks, a traditionally low crowd time. The Christmas season has ended and refurb season is starting. I will be in the parks midweek during term time, so families and locals will be there in the evenings only.

Its all about research and having realistic expectations
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Yensid25
Excited about Disney

Thanks both

I think after 2 years of waiting it will be nice to be their and just embrace it and look at it at the positives.
Yensid25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
when did you go? Americans like us are travelling more domestically so Christmas season which is traditionally a high crowd season was expected to be very busy this year. I'm going in a few weeks, a traditionally low crowd time. The Christmas season has ended and refurb season is starting. I will be in the parks midweek during term time, so families and locals will be there in the evenings only.

Its all about research and having realistic expectations
Oh, I did plenty of research and my expectations were realistc!

We went late November, early December, so usually a quieter time. And we never go to the parks at weekends anyway, well, not since our kids were tiny.

We've been pretty much every month of the year and Jan/Feb is usually a quieter period too but having seen late Nov/early December we decided to not go. There's other places to go in the meantime

I do hope it all settles down for people, going forwards!

Edited at 05:04 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

I’m sorry to say but no, it wasn’t the same for us. We went 11th to 30th Dec and although we did enjoy being away it certainly wasn’t the holiday we had expected. We stayed onsite at Universal the first few nights and loved it there but Disney has really lost the magic for us now. Shopping was really poor, prices of food etc have gone up and the service didn’t seem to be at the high standard we’ve found it to be in the past. Obviously covid has had a huge effect there as it has here.

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 We’re going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We went in November and stayed offsite but ate at Disney restaurants most days, went to Magic kingdom and the Christmas party and spent a lot of time in Disney springs (can’t comment on the other parks) but had a brilliant time. I appreciated every single second compared to before. I think awfully I took things for granted before Covid. I was so excited to be back that I enjoyed every second. Our meals were all great although service was a little slower but we expected this and were ok with taking our time. Merch did seem ridiculously priced so we didn’t buy any. It was the most normal that I had felt in two years and I still felt the magic. Walking down Main Street was just as special as ever. We eat onsite due to me being a coeliac and special diets offerings were still brilliant. We are going in May and I cannot wait. That is a full on Disney stay with all the parks so maybe we’ll feel differently but I can’t wait to be in that Florida sunshine. With the price hikes, we’ll definitely be buying more snacks, cereal and things from the supermarket for use in the room. The cost of these things (in the supermarket too) did shock us. Crowds are something that I think does bother us a bit and would affect our enjoyment. I think we were lucky that we didn’t face too many on our visits to magic kingdom. I have been at spring break before and found it challenging!
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Now we didn’t do the parks in November and won’t be doing them this time
My observations for what they are worth
November the traffic everywhere was manic since I arrived Monday it’s a lot lot less
Restaurants not as busy
Stores not as busy
I honestly think it was the inrush of Canadian , European , tourists that hadn’t been able to travel for 20 months and The 50th at Disney and as said many Americans using the stimulus checks for Disney Vacations
In November we say something we’d never seen before Disney advertising for staff everywhere
The stores / restaurants still need staff and are advertising
And this morning on the news Universal are introducing all staff to be vaccinated or have weekly testing
It’s great to be back though I have to say
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List