Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jan 22, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jstephens
Serious Dibber

Don't make my mistake when hiring a car!

we had an SUV from discount Florida car hire for 7 days over xmas. no problems using Andy, used him before in 2016 always a very good service 5*
We had an immaculate Ford Explorer collected from Hard rock through Avis, beautiful car, ready at pick up time no worries.
We used just under half a tank of fuel and on the day of returning called in to garage to fill back up. I was positive it was a petrol car but as I was just about to grab the fuel pump my partner said are you sure its not a diesel? in the UK this car would most likely be diesel. I drove to the side and said I'm pretty sure all cars hear are petrol. I couldn't find anywhere on the car then said what it was, the receipt, the fuel cap, under bonnet, the glove box! I even googled the reg plate and nothing! I then rang the Avis number and of course no answer.
I thought sod this as we were 2 mins from the hard rock drop off. I went to the desk and said sorry I wasn't sure what type of fuel went in so its just over half full. The lady said no problem sir we will fill it back up and charge you the fuel, excellent no problem I thought as I knew fuel was dirt cheap.
Got home 9 days later after an on site stay.
£171.43 on my credit card... what!
contacted Andy which replied did you fill it back up, please send receipt.
Turns out they charge $10 a gallon for missing fuel! Why I didn't read about this I'm kicking myself! Fuel is so cheap there too. They have charged me for more than a full tank too as the charge amount doesn't add up, still waiting for full details.
I'm so annoyed about this but know its my own fault which is more annoying! Just wanted to have a little rage about it!
When I hire work vans here it always says diesel on the cap and all over the bloody place in the cab! You know its a diesel anyway but not in Florida.
jstephens is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jstephens View Post
we had an SUV from discount Florida car hire for 7 days over xmas. no problems using Andy, used him before in 2016 always a very good service 5*
We had an immaculate Ford Explorer collected from Hard rock through Avis, beautiful car, ready at pick up time no worries.
We used just under half a tank of fuel and on the day of returning called in to garage to fill back up. I was positive it was a petrol car but as I was just about to grab the fuel pump my partner said are you sure its not a diesel? in the UK this car would most likely be diesel. I drove to the side and said I'm pretty sure all cars hear are petrol. I couldn't find anywhere on the car then said what it was, the receipt, the fuel cap, under bonnet, the glove box! I even googled the reg plate and nothing! I then rang the Avis number and of course no answer.
I thought sod this as we were 2 mins from the hard rock drop off. I went to the desk and said sorry I wasn't sure what type of fuel went in so its just over half full. The lady said no problem sir we will fill it back up and charge you the fuel, excellent no problem I thought as I knew fuel was dirt cheap.
Got home 9 days later after an on site stay.
£171.43 on my credit card... what!
contacted Andy which replied did you fill it back up, please send receipt.
Turns out they charge $10 a gallon for missing fuel! Why I didn't read about this I'm kicking myself! Fuel is so cheap there too. They have charged me for more than a full tank too as the charge amount doesn't add up, still waiting for full details.
I'm so annoyed about this but know its my own fault which is more annoying! Just wanted to have a little rage about it!
When I hire work vans here it always says diesel on the cap and all over the bloody place in the cab! You know its a diesel anyway but not in Florida.
Oh no.

I thought all hire cars were petrol in US. Wouldn’t have occurred to me that it might be diesel. Did you find out which it was?

I drive an SUV here and it’s petrol. I know that that was more unusual before but I just don’t do the miles to warrant diesel.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jstephens
Serious Dibber

[QUOTE=Bellasmummy;15280906]Oh no.

I thought all hire cars were petrol in US. Wouldn’t have occurred to me that it might be diesel. Did you find out which it was?

no, it was a very quick hand the keys over and off we went. If I'd of known the charges I'd of definitely of asked and gone back out and put fuel in.
jstephens is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Holibobs
Earning My Ears

Never rented a diesel car in Florida in over 25 years. If in doubt, smell the filler.
Holibobs is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Only diesels are trucks like the F150 and Ben most hire versions are petrol
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Doesn’t the diesel nozzle not fit in the unleaded tank entry? Sorry this was such an expensive mistake for you - bloody car hire places know exactly how much to tell you about charges.

Edited at 11:05 PM.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
GoofyK
Very Serious Dibber

wow,. that's very expensive.. thanks for the tip.. although think of it this way.. if the car was in fact a diesel car.. and you fill it up with petrol. the damage would def more than £171.. although I think the car company would really label it on the fuel cap.. like most car rental do in uk..
GoofyK is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Chris71
Getting Excited

I feel your pain, though try to think at least it hasn't cost you a tank and fuel system drain by putting wrong fuel in. A simple and easy check to do is remove filler cap and give it a sniff no mistaking the pleasant smell of petroleum compared to the heavy stink of diesel. On most modern cars these days you can't put a diesel nozzle in a petrol car as they have a smaller filler nozzle and diesels have a lock out if you put a petrol nozzle in.
Chris71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Rbecking
slightly serious Dibber

Also to note the pumps colours are opposite to here, Green is diesel and black is petrol.
Rbecking is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jstephens
Serious Dibber

still not heard back from Discount Florida Car Hire so doesn't sound too good. Silence is never a good thing

whats annoyed me though is there was just over half a tank of fuel so not only have they charged me over double per gallon they have charged for a full tank!
Certainly learnt my lesson though!