Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jan 22, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Truly terrible, her poor friends and family.

Even more women having to modify and restrict their behaviour.

Every man is a threat. And yes, I do mean you. You will at sometime have made a woman feel uncomfortable just be being there - she will have crossed the road, or phoned a friend, or popped into a shop to get away from you etc etc. It's life, and it's crap.
No, not EVERY man is a threat.

ANY man can be percieved as a threat, doesnt mean he is one and I dont think that to go about your day thinking every man is a threat is healthy.

We, and I mean all of us, men get murdered too...need to be aware of our situtations, plan ahead, make sure we stay in touch and folk know where we are, and no, it shouldnt be that way.

And thats whats life and whats crap.
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Truly terrible, her poor friends and family.

Even more women having to modify and restrict their behaviour.

Every man is a threat. And yes, I do mean you. You will at sometime have made a woman feel uncomfortable just be being there - she will have crossed the road, or phoned a friend, or popped into a shop to get away from you etc etc. It's life, and it's crap.
“Every man is a threat, and yes, I mean you”

What a totally ridiculous and very offensive comment to make, could you imagine the outcry (and rightly) If I or one of the other guys on here made such a sweeping statement about ladies.

I’m the very proud dad of 3 amazing daughters, I’ve watched them grow up into amazing ladies, becoming a wonderful mother, forging an amazing career in an industry she wanted to be part of and the youngest doing amazing things at university. I couldn’t be prouder.

My house has been full over the years of their friends coming and going, sleep overs, parties, pre session drinks before going out etc etc, they have all been welcome and treat with kindness, respect and dignity.

I’ve even had times where some of the girls have been out in town and not a social event with my girls and a lift has been missed or last bus which was an issue as they live out of town, a text / call has happened to one of my girls asking if they can stay, not a problem at all, I wouldn’t have it any other way, they knew they would get a friendly welcome, fed and watered and be safe.

I’m not that daft to understand some men have the worst intentions, and sadly horrendous crimes will happen, but there are also documented crimes of ladies capable of such evil as well, the lady who stabbed her boyfriend years ago and said it was road rage, the lady from Norfolk area whose always pictured with a sharp knife killed a number of men.

I appreciate feelings can run high when something like this happens, but to say every man is a threat is totally unfounded and an insult to every man out there who is a father to daughters and respectful of ALL ladies.
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by littlelish0544 View Post
No, not EVERY man is a threat.

ANY man can be percieved as a threat, doesnt mean he is one and I dont think that to go about your day thinking every man is a threat is healthy.

We, and I mean all of us, men get murdered too...need to be aware of our situtations, plan ahead, make sure we stay in touch and folk know where we are, and no, it shouldnt be that way.

And thats whats life and whats crap.
Did you read what was written before stating not every man is a threat? “ Every man is a threat. And yes, I do mean you. You will at sometime have made a woman feel uncomfortable just be being there - she will have crossed the road, or phoned a friend, or popped into a shop to get away from you etc etc”. That is true whether you like it or not! And yes, it is a perceived threat, but it is very real to that woman at that time - even if you are the nicest man in the world! We know that not all men are like this, but, we don’t know which ones are safe and which are not. A man does not have that worry about women. So, whilst we all have to be aware, it is not the same experience for men as it is for women!
Fact is, yet another woman’s life has been cut short at the hands of a man who is still at large. Many women did not go for that walk/run yesterday because of that!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
Did you read what was written before stating not every man is a threat? “ Every man is a threat. And yes, I do mean you. You will at sometime have made a woman feel uncomfortable just be being there - she will have crossed the road, or phoned a friend, or popped into a shop to get away from you etc etc”. That is true whether you like it or not! And yes, it is a perceived threat, but it is very real to that woman at that time - even if you are the nicest man in the world! We know that not all men are like this, but, we don’t know which ones are safe and which are not. A man does not have that worry about women. So, whilst we all have to be aware, it is not the same experience for men as it is for women!
Fact is, yet another woman’s life has been cut short at the hands of a man who is still at large. Many women did not go for that walk/run yesterday because of that!
That is perceived threat, not actual threat. There is a difference. Not all men are a threat, I know I aren’t. What this is, is how someone feels in their own mind. However, no woman should ever feel this way, no woman should ever face abuse, intimidation or violence.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I saw this on the internet yesterday and wondered why this didnt make national news over here. Its just awful and horrific. What on earth is wrong with people that this is what they do.

RIP Ashling x
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
That is perceived threat, not actual threat. There is a difference. Not all men are a threat, I know I aren’t. What this is, is how someone feels in their own mind. However, no woman should ever feel this way, no woman should ever face abuse, intimidation or violence.
I did state it was a perceived threat in my post! But it’s still very real to the woman that felt it
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

If you walk alone in the dark, or never think twice about your personal safety when you leave your house you are part of the privileged few. Many females dont have that luxury & either dont leave their house once it gets dark or get taxis/drive everywhere.

What happened to Alanna Quinn Idris and Aishling Murphy are not one off random events. Every day females are attacked. I was attacked at knifepoint 2 street from where I live, I was lucky, he just stole my bag, but I could have been stabbed or killed.

Right now there are females waking up who were attacked last night, females who are afraid to go to the police, females whose attack was not deemed important, females who wont tell anyone & will just go about their lives

Before Covid & working from home became a thing, I was spending over €30 a week on taxis as I didn't feel safe walking home at 5pm after work once it got dark. The ones in my thoughts today are all the females who were attacked last night & whose story will never be heard

Its great that the public conscious is on the safety of females today, but next week, next month, there will still be females being attacked, & afraid to walk alone & no one will hold vigils for them, all that will change is that females will think twice about about walking alone.

I'm now seeing on social media people assuming that the attacker was a foreigner, what the white Irish like to call "a non national" because God forbid a white Irish local man would never do something like this.

The same thing was assumed of the man who attacked me, but thats far from the truth. I gave a very good description of the man who attacked me to the Police, and the Police knew who he was, but they couldnt charge him as they couldnt find anything to link him to me. The man who attacked me was white with a very distinct local accent.

And I know men are getting offended by the all men are potential attackers but for me in the days, weeks and months after my attack thats how I saw things too. When walking to the bus stop if a man was walking behind me I would cross the street. I would stop ever few steps and look behind me and check there was no one there. I still wont use a backpack in my local area, as the man who attacked me pulled on my backpack to stop me.

For those of us have been attacked by a man when walking alone, we see things different. Its not just our bag or phone thats been robbed, its our trust in a man walking on his own behind us on an empty street. Is that man just walking to the local school to collect his child or does that man have a knife and going to attack me. To me they are both the same.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
I saw this on the internet yesterday and wondered why this didnt make national news over here. Its just awful and horrific. What on earth is wrong with people that this is what they do.

RIP Ashling x
It has been reported on the BBC news website. There is also a vigil in London (outside the London Irish Centre)
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
maudyhill
VIP Dibber

maudyhill's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So sorry to hear this.

Mandy xx
Best Western ID 1994, DLP Santa Fe 2004, Quailty inn plaza ID 2008
Emerald Island Kissimmee 2011 , San Francisco / yosemite 2012
Emerald island Kissimmee 2013, Esprit estate Davenport 2015, new york 2016, Emerald Island Kissimmee 2017, San fran, LA & Vegas 2018, Newyork 7/2019, Emerald Island 10/2019, HighGrove 03/2022, Thousand Oaks 11/2022
maudyhill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post

RIP Ashling x
As upsetting and disgusting a crime as it is, it’s in the RoI, not UK so unlikely to make the headlines over here, although it did make the news websites of bbc and sky. There are plenty of killings throughout the UK that don’t make it on the national headlines so I suppose it isn’t any different to a murder in Spain not being reported on for example. I often wonder how some are selected to be reported on and others aren’t. That this one happens to be a young teacher going about her daily business is probably the only reason anyone in the UK even heard about it. It looks like she had so much to offer the community makes it all the more devastating. So sad, RIP.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread