Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jan 22, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
We have twins too and the insurance whilst they are learning has been fine- we have a newish car (fiesta) and adding them didn’t add anything in the first year (up to renewal) and then less than £100 for both for the next year- they still haven’t really started having lessons.
There are so many variables- someone told me it cost less on a newer small car as people would be more cautious with a new car and they have more safety features. Not sure how true that was.
That’s so good that you only had to pay minimal amount. I just don’t get it as I was literally quoted 3k this morning, it’s crazy. I will need to have a good shop round I think 🤔 These pesky twins, double the cost of everything at the same time 😂 wouldn’t have it any other way though x
Florida1972 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
I’m sure there have been previous posts similar, you might find them by searching?

that’s crazy price, might be to do with car though. And as you say having 2 drivers, but only one can drive at a time so shouldn’t make that much difference.

I have a 17 year old learner plus a young driver (under 21), and pay maybe £300 more than if it was just me and husband. I did shop around. I think I’m with admiral at the moment. But my car is prob 1.2 or maybe even less. My daughter would like a mini but my husband has said they are expensive to insure?
Might be worth just getting the run around for them now - find out what cars are cheaper for young drivers to insure as it will cost more than the car over time. It is cheaper to insure them whilst learning than after they pass their test. And there is always an admin fee to change - so when they do pass you will get hit with higher premium and admin fee to change, x2 unless they pass on same day. So worth checking admin fees, etc too.
It is a crazy price, I laughed somewhat hysterically as I couldn’t believe it. I’m going to Google the cheapest cars to insure for young/new drivers as we may just go for the runaround option 🙂
Florida1972 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by RuthieR View Post
We used Marmalade wearemarmalade for my son once he passed his test. His policy is in his name and is Pay as you go.

The car is insured through another company for me and DH to drive and the Marmalade insurance is for DS as an add on. The car is ours and not in DS name, he is away at Uni and only drives it when home. You buy a set amount of miles and we paid £228 for 500 miles for a year. There is a little box that you stick in the windscreen it records his mileage and driving style and rates each journey via an App. If he drives without me the mileage and rating goes to him, if we are both in the car we have to log who drove and who was passenger. We get a discounted renewal rate if he uses his miles up, depending on how his journeys are rated Eg to add another 100 miles is £23 and another 200 miles is £46 as his driving is well scored.

I have to drive 51% of the miles each year which isn't a problem as he is away most of the time. Doing it this way was the cheapest by far and DS can get no claims during the year. I would def. recommend looking at this as an option.

There are also options if your child is a learner using your car but we didn't find this out before he passed his test in the same car. It was about an extra £700 to put him on our existing insurance as a learner (before we found Marmalade) which we did as was learning with us in lockdown as no lessons. For him to have the car in his name now he has passed was £1,500 annual insurance.

Edit - Marmalade also rates my driving as I am named on his policy too. It has made me drive a lot better - cornering, speeding if slightly over limit and monitors phone use although mine connects bluetooth it knows if I have used it. I also get to see the driving scores DS gets per journey!
Thanks for your reply, very helpful 👍 Marmalade are top of my list to get a quote from tomorrow. There is no way we are paying thousands. I think I was naively thinking this is going to cost me money (maybe £500 each) but no way was I expecting the quotes I’ve had so far. 🙂

Edited at 09:29 PM.
Old 15 Jan 22, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
I’m surprised it’s so expensive at 17, it used to be 17 as a learner wasn’t too painful because they were chaperoned, it was when they passed their test and could drive independently that it sky rocketed.
I was surprised as well, I
had prepared myself that it wasn’t going to be cheap but was shocked when Axa wouldn’t even quote me. Then when I got the 3k quote from Admiral I was thinking blimey what am I doing wrong, think I just need to look
at different options 🙂
Old 15 Jan 22, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

To add to our small car (1.0 l Yaris) was only an extra £60 a year.
No idea when she passes her test? 😬

Edited at 12:22 AM.
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

We are with Admiral multi-car. We managed to insure the car DD1 when learning to drive at 18 and DD2 when learning and after she passed aged 17 for our second car (Honda Yaris). We have been with them a while and they massively undercut everyone else and we didn’t even need to fit a black box.
DD1 (aged 20) is the main driver but four of us are insured on it (DD2, DH & myself). They even only increased the premium by £25 when we added DD2 as a learner driver. She amazingly passed in just over 5 months so she needed to update the policy twice in 12 months.

Edited at 11:26 PM.
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Florida1972 View Post
I was surprised as well, I
had prepared myself that it wasn’t going to be cheap but was shocked when Axa wouldn’t even quote me. Then when I got the 3k quote from Admiral I was thinking blimey what am I doing wrong, think I just need to look
at different options 🙂
That is very weird as our cheep cover is with Admiral!