Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 22, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Scams. Have you been targeted.

The wife was selling a large, bulky item on Facebook marketplace. It was collection only, because of its size.
She had a message saying, I will have it[no mention of the item or any queries]. Then after asking for details of the pickup address, they then say, they have to work and they would send the cash with the UPS driver and he will pay you when he picks the item up tomorrow.
Straight away alarm bells are ringing and true to form another message arrives from the buyer. This time saying, we need to send them £100 for insurance, but not to worry as they will put it in the envelope with the rest of the money and the UPS driver will give her it back.
So I get on her messenger and ask for their name and address and I will send the insurance money direct [No chance]. They then send a dodging looking form with the UPS logo on, for me to fill in bank details to send the money. Also saying can I hurry up.
After a few more messages back and forth, I start to get fed up as they are not giving up. So I tell them, If they want to make a living in the Scamming game, they need to go back to school and learn English as theirs is atrocious.

Edited at 11:04 AM.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

That's quite common unfortunately. I usually ask them what the weather is like in Lagos
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I hate selling online. I've given things away on FB marketplace but I can't be bothered with haggling with buyers. My preference is to take small items to the local charity shops and donate larger items to the British Heart Foundation as they will collect them.

I've been scammed on ebay/PayPal and someone has created an account using my name and address. I noticed as I started getting their returns and their user name was on the return label. I contacted ebay a few times and the account was suspended and finally closed when PayPal changed their terms and conditions. I've recently had a letter from a debt collection agency about an outstanding payment to PayPal and it's now being investigated by PayPal as identity fraud.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

had similar on gumtree selling my daughters old bike

almost instantly had a mail saying they would have take it, could i send my bank details & they would pay instantly

had requested COC only but took a few emails back & forth for them to give up
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

We do take smaller and less expensive items to charity shops. As we used to give them away online and you would be inundated with people wanting anything that was going free. Then have the cheek to as if we would deliver. Within hours they were up on the same site for a price. Some items are to expensive/good too give away. I am also wary of giving expensive items to charity shops when you find out the Chef exec of cancer research is on £240,000 a year and British heart is on £180,000
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
They have tried to scam me and failed in the past, one was for tickets I was selling, she really wanted them don’t sell them to anyone else. She said cheque is in the post, cheque got lost, she’s sending another blah blah blah. I had someone on Facebook saying I’d won a competition I entered in 2019, they cloned the page. I said that’s a old competition and they said yes this is another one, I had to fill in a form and I told them to do one!

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsjacksparrow
slightly serious Dibber

I had one a week or so ago for some Ralph Lauren boots I'm selling. The usual UPS nonsense and mention of paying insurance. I kindly advised them that they'd picked the wrong person to try and scam as I work in Counter Fraud. Not heard from them since!
mrsjacksparrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

It must be a lucrative scam. I sell on various platforms and get scam attempts all the time. I only list low value items on eBay now because soo many people are lying toerags.

I'm just watching The Con on Disney+ which shows a whole 'nother level !
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List