Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 12 Oct 13, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post

OKW - conflict over which block to request - allowing 10-year-old out

Hi I was all set for requesting a block at OKW near the river quite far from reception as I'd read these had lovely views and were quiet.

However, now my husband isn't going I'm not sure if it would be better to book nearer to reception to give my 10-year old a bit of freedom if my youngest is napping. I can't really see me allowing him out on his own to, say, the games room but don't want to rule the option out.

Last year at Butlins we were lucky enough to have a room opposite the adventure playground so I did let him play outside whilst my three year old had a nap and kept checking out the window to keep an eye on him.

He doesn't walk to school on his own as there is a busy main road to cross but most of his male school friends do (although they don't have to cross the road). They also call at friends homes by themselves after school, sometimes quite a distance from where they live. I have just started giving my son a bit of freedom and letting him walk down from school and I meet him at the local shops.

What are others approach whilst on holiday. At what age do you allow your children out to say the hotel shop on their own. Is 10 too young?

PS. When I was 10 I used to babysit for my three younger brothers including a baby for the evening. But then again those were the days when my parents left us in the chalets at nightime at Butlins whilst a Butlins sitter to pass by the chalet door and listen for any crying. My parents and aunt n uncle didn't want to pay so they took it in turns to keep popping back! Shocking! How times have changed.

Edited at 05:05 PM. Reason: title not clear
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 13, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Not to avoid answering your question on your 10 year old BUT, I believe the blocks closest to Hospitatlity House are a booking category available only to DVC members. They are blocks 11, 12, 13, 14 and 23, 24, 25, 26.

If that is the case, and you were located outwith these blocks, and a little further away, it may determine whether you allow your 10 year old to make their own way to HH.

Hope I've helped a wee bit. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Lesley.
Old 12 Oct 13, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sameeel
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RachE View Post
Hi I was all set for requesting a block at OKW near the river quite far from reception as I'd read these had lovely views and were quiet.

However, now my husband isn't going I'm not sure if it would be better to book nearer to reception to give my 10-year old a bit of freedom if my youngest is napping. I can't really see me allowing him out on his own to, say, the games room but don't want to rule the option out.

Last year at Butlins we were lucky enough to have a room opposite the adventure playground so I did let him play outside whilst my three year old had a nap and kept checking out the window to keep an eye on him.

He doesn't walk to school on his own as there is a busy main road to cross but most of his male school friends do (although they don't have to cross the road). They also call at friends homes by themselves after school, sometimes quite a distance from where they live. I have just started giving my son a bit of freedom and letting him walk down from school and I meet him at the local shops.

What are others approach whilst on holiday. At what age do you allow your children out to say the hotel shop on their own. Is 10 too young?

PS. When I was 10 I used to babysit for my three younger brothers including a baby for the evening. But then again those were the days when my parents left us in the chalets at nightime at Butlins whilst a Butlins sitter to pass by the chalet door and listen for any crying. My parents and aunt n uncle didn't want to pay so they took it in turns to keep popping back! Shocking! How times have changed.
Im sorry I cant really help with regards to which block as it will be our first stay at OKW next year... however, with regards to the main part of your post, allowing a 10yr old a certain amount of freedom...

Right I don't mean to offend but he is 10.. personally, I wouldn't be letting him, its easy to get lost at Disney, you don't know the other guests aren't pedos or whatever... its easy to get swallowed up by the Disney bubble because it is just so lovely, but this year at POFQ I was reading the room info and it made fair points of keeping safe etc.. checking who was at the door.. keeping to well lit areas etc.. and brought me back to earth with a bump..

I think if he was a little older, say at high school then maybe, but there again, all kids are different, you know him best but you don't leave hi walk home from school in an area he knows well, so why a strange area?...

That said im probably the worlds most over protective mother ever !..
Old 12 Oct 13, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post

DDis 12 nearly 13, has been going to high school on her own since she started up until feb i used to walk her to the bus stop on a morning but thats only as i was getting bus opposite way.
But on holiday i still wouldnt feel comfortable letting her go anywhere on her own yet, shes too young and i feel there are too manydangers. Only you know whats best for your son and will be able to judge it better for your self once your there.
Buy my honest opinion is its not worth the heartache if something bad was to happen.
Old 12 Oct 13, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all. That was my gut feeling also to be honest. I just needed the confirmation. And not having been to OKW yet I couldn't picture the layout. Will be sticking to my original plan! Thanks.
Old 12 Oct 13, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I don't think OKW is the right resort for allowing a bit of freedom. It's vast and quite open.
At the Boardwalk, I would allow my 10 year old to go down to the shop, but she'd barely have to go outside, and she has stayed at the Boardwalk quite a few times, so it's very familiar to her.
I wouldn't let her go play alone. There isn't really anywhere to 'play' in any of the resorts, except at the pool.

I think some of the resorts in Europe are smaller and more self-contained, and I would be more comfortable there. But not at OKW.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 13, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumofthree
slightly serious Dibber

I'm going to OKW soon with DH and 3 DD's aged 20 17 and 10, 10 year old wont be out of my sight but I know the 2 older girls will want a bit of freedom but even then I will worry, don't get me wrong older girls have plenty of freedom at home and youngest gets to play out the front of our home( still haven't let her walk from school on her own though) only you can decide what's best for your family but personally I wouldn't stress myself with the worry. x
Mumofthree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 13, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
We were in block 14 last year ( we had booked on points) and even crossing the road to get to HH to the shop, pool, arcade etc could be quite busy as its near the main road into the resort.

Personally, I wouldn't let a 10 year old out on their own somewhere unfamiliar

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 13, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My son is 12 and walks to school alone, goes to the park with friends and spends an hour or two at home alone but at easter In orlando we always went everywhere with him... I guess I am just more wary away from our home surroundings?
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 13, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

From all the blocks to get to HH you have to cross at least one road.

If it was me I wouldn't be comfortable with that.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread