Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Car Seat Regulations for a 3 Year Old

I have two car seats at home - a Britax with a harness that fits in the car with Isofix and is heavy and a Cyber high back booster that can be fitted with isofix or a seat belt. This does not have a harness and instead my daughter is secured with a seat belt across her.

I cannot seem to find out what the regulations are for Florida. I was hoping to take the Cybex as its lighter, but does a 3 year old require a harness on the seat? Can anyone help please?

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

From what I’ve seen the law is rear facing full car seat until at least 1 year. Forward facing full car seat until at least 4 years old. Booster seat until at least 8 years old.

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Some use the general rule of thumb as whatever you would do back home, do when there.

Car seats can be taken for free on the airlines
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

A 3 year old must be in an integrated or manufactured car seat with its own harness
The laws have been updated 2020
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

All children 5 and under must be in an independent car seat, meaning that the belts in the car are not used for child restraint, but can be used to secure the child seat. I recall being stopped by a sheriff once, we had hired a Dodge Intrepid with a bench seat in the front that seated 3 people, my 13 year old was sitting in the middle and he wanted to make sure she was old enough to sit there. He then checked my 5 year old sons car seat in the back to make sure it was fitted correctly and asked how old he was. He made a comment about it not having a USA safety mark but was happy with the European one.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Child Restraints – Car Seats and Booster Seats

Florida law requires children age 5 and under to be secured properly in a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.
Children ages 0 to 3 must be in child restraint devices of a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat.
Children age 4 and 5 must be in a separate carrier, integrated child seat or booster seat.
The best child seat is one that fits your child, fits your car and that drivers will use correctly every time.
Read the car seat’s instruction manual and the portion of your vehicle’s owner manual when you install a car seat.
Remember to check for car seat and booster seat recalls.
Refer to the official Florida Driver License Handbook for more information on seat belts and child restraints.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
stepmead
Imagineer

Thanks all - I will take one with a harness.

Crowne Plaza Universal (Sept '04), DLP (Dec '07), Bahama Bay (Nov '09), Eagle Pointe (Sept '10), Bella Vida (Sept '11), Sunset Crest Villa, Barbados (Aug '12), Beach View Barbados (Oct '13), DLP (Mar '15), Porters Gate Villa, Barbados (Oct '16), Cypress Pointe (May '17), Solterra Resort/Royal Pacific (July '18), Tides Inn Lauderdale, Cabana Bay & Windsor at Westside (July ‘19), Grove Resort (Feb ‘20)
stepmead is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Mobile

Does the FMVSS 213 approved car seat regulation apply in Florida. Our Joie everystage seats do not appear on the list.

Am I over thinking this now? Having read a few other threads I'm concerned that not all UK seats are approved in the US. But I believe all states have different laws...

We've used them on previous trips with no issue but wonder what would happen if we were stopped and inspected by a traffic officer.
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Child seats in Florida must be Federally approved ie. US tested European ones aren't as they are ISOFiX US system is LATCH which conversely aren't Euro tested .
So any UK carseat is technically illegal in US.
Have I ever heard of anyone being fined for this, have I ever heard of any insurance issues. Do I think any police officer will be looking for marks on seats, the answer of course is No.
Would I take a UK seat for my Grandchildren yes of course.
Safety wise Latch and Isofix are as safe as each other.
So you take a UK seat it is a technical offence that has no impact on safety but could in a hypothetical situation cost you a ticket.
Enjoy.