Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Hmm, I can't think of anything major that happens around that time. There is a half marathon that goes on in August, but I looked up the date and it's not until the 18th. There could be a private convention going on that has a large expected attendance, that would cause a jump in hotel prices downtown. I can't think of any city wide events that go on around that part of August though.
Hi Amy thanks for the response will keep an eye on the rates and hope something really good comes up. Am considering an Airbnb as an alternative but a bit nervous about that as never used it before
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Hi Amy, Sorry to bother you again but there are a couple of rentals on Airbnb in Southpark and Azelea Park so do you know anything about these neighbourhoods - are they safe, good locations, facilities etc and not that far from the city? We have a car so travelling around wouldn't be a problem and the extra space from a rental would be good to enjoy for a few days but not if they are in not so good areas
fatblokeflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Hi Amy, Sorry to bother you again but there are a couple of rentals on Airbnb in Southpark and Azelea Park so do you know anything about these neighbourhoods - are they safe, good locations, facilities etc and not that far from the city? We have a car so travelling around wouldn't be a problem and the extra space from a rental would be good to enjoy for a few days but not if they are in not so good areas
You're no bother, ask anything. I would avoid both those areas- any place to the east and south of the city center can be iffy. Try looking in the areas of Mission Valley, Mission Hills, Mission Bay, Point Loma, Sunset Cliffs, Bird Rock or La Jolla. The last two locations are a little more outside the central area, but within only 20-25 minutes distance to the main attractions by car.

I wish I could give you advice on Airbnb, but I've never used it myself. However, I know many on the Dibb have gone through them and had no complaints.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
fatblokeflorida
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks Amy. Will leave those 2 rentals I think. Have just looked on Homeaway and there looks like a good rental in the PB area which I assume is another good area to consider?
Old 19 Sep 17, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Thanks Amy. Will leave those 2 rentals I think. Have just looked on Homeaway and there looks like a good rental in the PB area which I assume is another good area to consider?
Yes, PB is fine. It can get a little busy around there because it's by the beach and it's a popular location.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Hi Aims, have been reading through all your advice and I want to say a huge thank you for doing it! We are planning for next year and I’ve been looking at the best western plus in old town we are looking at just using public transport so you think this is possible? We would be going to San Diego zoo, balboa park and the beaches, we would also be wanting to visit legoland thanks again I hope you are well and love all your advice
Old 17 May 20, 04:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamofmagic View Post
Hi Aims, have been reading through all your advice and I want to say a huge thank you for doing it! We are planning for next year and I’ve been looking at the best western plus in old town we are looking at just using public transport so you think this is possible? We would be going to San Diego zoo, balboa park and the beaches, we would also be wanting to visit legoland thanks again I hope you are well and love all your advice

Hi, and thank you for those really kind words about my thread! Are you looking at the Best Western Hacienda hotel in Old Town? It's a very pretty property, right in the middle of Old Town and not far to walk to a transit center where you can pick up the city's red trolley (good for going into downtown), the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train and the Coaster commuter rail- as well as some of the city bus connections. There are ways to use public transportation to get around everywhere, but San Diego's public transit options aren't as advanced as in other big cities, because most of the residents here drive everywhere. Public transit is easiest to use if you are getting around downtown, but there are fewer options outside of that area. Places like Balboa Park, Sea World, the beaches you can get to by bus, but there are usually connections that have to be made and it can add on a lot of time just getting around. Uber is popular in San Diego, and easy to come by, so that is an option for getting around without driving. Having said all that, San Diego is an easy city to get around by car...downtown can be a little confusing, and you have to pay for parking everywhere around downtown, so Uber could be a better option there, or take the San Diego city red trolley from Old Town into downtown. I recommend looking at the San Diego MTS trip planner tool on this page: https://www.sdmts.com/schedules-real-time/trip-planner You enter where you are going to and it will show you all the various public transit options you can take to get there. You can decide if it's worth the effort of using the transit system alone, or if you want to combine that with having a car for some of your days. There are some Dibbers that have gone to San Diego and didn't drive, so it would be worth it to do a search in the California trip report section for San Diego without a car.

Legoland is about 35-40 minutes away from San Diego by car and you can take an Amtrak train to a station in Carlsbad (the city where Legoland is located), but then you would need to get a cab to the park from there. If you aren't totally against driving here, then do consider getting a car because it is the most convenient and quickest way to get around San Diego.

I'm happy to hear you are planning a visit for next year! Please don't hesitate to ask me for any other advice. I am very happy to answer any questions, as well as I can!