Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 31 May 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Orlando to Nashville Road Trip

Having finally decided to get off the roller-coaster that is WDW 2020, my DH and I have decided to change our plans. WDW is being moved to 2021 but we are keeping our existing flights to MCO this October. We have 16 nights so have the Hard Rock Hotel booked for the last 9 nights. We are meeting friends who live in FL and are hoping to still visit US and HHN.

We also have friends in Nashville TN so we have decided to hire a car and drive from Orlando to Tennessee via Atlanta there and via New Orleans back. Initial plans are to spend 2 nights in hotels on the way, spend 2 nights in Nashville and then 2 nights heading back to FL.

Has anyone done something similar? Are there any must-see things along the way? And great places to stay the night or eat etc? We are not booking any accommodation and will find hotels along the way.

Also, can anyone recommend a good car rental company near MCO that drops off? We plan on landing and staying the first night near the airport or within 30 mins taxi ride then heading on our road trip the next day. We could do with the car being delivered and collected.

Although things are still uncertain I already feel relieved that we have moved WDW and have something to plan for.

Thanks x

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi, that’s quite a long way there and back - could you think about changing the flight into the US to one that lands nearer Nashville? Otherwise won’t you spend more time on the road than seeing places? You may love driving in America though

I haven’t been to Nashville but loved NOLA when we visited this year. I would not want to drive around the French Quarter and parking is quite expensive (something to think about before choosing where to stay).

Also worth checking your car rental lets you take it outside the state you hire it in?

All of the hotels around MCO are very close indeed to a range of different car rentals. We stayed in one that ran a free shuttle and the rental place was basically next door. I’d just choose whichever had the best price
Old 31 May 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We really enjoyed Nashville, it’s not a huge place but the centre strip is great fun with live music in the bars all day. Two days is probably enough unless you are a huge country music fan. We found plenty to do and see in the area, we had fun visiting Gaylord Grand Opryland hotel which was a fun destination for half a day, also next to a great shopping outlet. We found downtown Nashville to be nice and compact for exploring on foot, and would definitely go back as part of a future toad trip.
Old 2 Jun 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

Outbound flight changed to Atlanta to reduce the drive time a little. We don't mind the driving and intend to take in as much as possible on the way but we are meeting friends who live near Nashville so wanted to spend more time there with them.

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simba1980 View Post
Outbound flight changed to Atlanta to reduce the drive time a little. We don't mind the driving and intend to take in as much as possible on the way but we are meeting friends who live near Nashville so wanted to spend more time there with them.
It was the Nashville to NOLA to Orlando that looked long particularly but flying into Atlanta is better for sure. I wonder if you’d be better going Atlanta to NOLA to Nashville and then the journey from Nashville to Orlandois much quicker?

Happy to share NOLA thoughts but we didn’t have a car even and never been to Nashville ...

Edited at 02:49 PM.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Im landing in Tampa and driving to Savannah for 5 days im September🤞 hopefully.
Itll be a long drive we may stop halfway ish somewhere around St Augustine as we love it there.
Old 5 Jun 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We flew from Nashville to NOLA .. it’s in my 2017 trippy
Nashville highlights were the Opry and dinner at Skulls plus our day out to Lynchburg.
Redrach has great Nashville trippies.
We love NOLA so much and took our third trip there last year. ... these are also in my trippies. It’s a truly unique place.

Happy planning
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List