Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 3 Apr 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bethyboo
Excited about Disney

Bethyboo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Everglades for kids?

My Father In Law is likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's in the next few weeks and one of the things he has always wanted to do is explore the Everglades. This is a step too far for my MIL to cope with on her own, so my hubbie and I are going too with our two children aged 11 and 7. Where would be a good base to find a hotel? There will be days where DH will take his parents out and leave me with the little people by the pool. Ideally would like a waterpark nearby and beaches. I assume a Miami flight would best?

Also, any advise on travelling will someone with this dreadful disease.
Old 3 Apr 17, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post

My Mum had Alzheimer's for nearly 10 years before she died. I'm going to be bit blunt and honest here, in an effort to save distress, for both him and you. If he's that close to being diagnosed I'm afraid you're already too late. There no way I'd take an Alzheimer's patient to a foreign country, to do something they won't understand and is so far from their normal routine.

Before my Mum was diagnosed, we went back to Derbyshire, where she lived for 50 years, for a family wedding, her family. By 3 pm she was so distressed that we had to leave the church. She's was panicking and confused about where she was and what was happening. She kept saying "I want to go home" and kept asking "who's that woman who keeps talking to me" (her sister). She paced the floor of the hotel room all night and only settled when we got her back home.

That episode caused Dad to take her to the Doctor and that's when she was diagnosed.

Can you cope with episodes like that 3,000 miles from home. Do you have the resources to get him back home quickly if he gets distressed.

You really need to sit down and decide if this trip is feasible. Talk to the Drs and see if they think he'll manage the trip.

Sorry I sound such a Debbie downer, and if you do decide to go, I hope it's a successful trip.
My thoughts are with you all as you travel the path with this horrible disease.

Edited at 06:01 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about your FIL's illness, luckily I have no little knowledge of it.

We've stayed at Florida City, South of Miami and at the top of the Keys. It's really close to the Everglades National Park with the information areas and walkways. There are airboat rides close by, and we found it the best place to actually experience the Everglades, and learn about the area.

However, we've also stayed at Fort Lauderdale - you can drive through the Everglades, and there are the airboat rides and walkways, but it's not as 'real' as the Florida City area. It would be better for you and the kids though, with beaches and waterpark. There's also free parks like Sugar Sand Park with water play and an indoor activity/museum. We spent a fab day hopping on and off the water taxi in FL.

Flying into Miami or Fort Lauderdale would be convenient for either really.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Sorry to hear about his possible diagnosis, my Dad was diagnised at least 5 years ago. The problem is that it doesn't just affect the memory, it can cause mood swings, mobility issues and in the worst case violent outbursts.

My Dad did cope with holidays initially but I think that was because they have holidayed in the same complex in Tenerife for 15 years plus in the same villa at the same time of year and everything was familiar to him.

I wouldn't discount the idea completely but it may depend on when you are intending to go and how his symptoms could have progressed by then so maybe once he has a definite diagnosis discuss with his GP or Consultant. It would be lovely for your MIL and your family to have some happy memories before the disease progresses but realistically might not be the best thing for him. Is there maybe somewhere he is used to going that might be a better option and potentially less stressful for everyone.

Edited at 10:02 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
My Mum had Alzheimer's for nearly 10 years before she died. I'm going to be bit blunt and honest here, in an effort to save distress, for both him and you. If he's that close to being diagnosed I'm afraid you're already too late. There no way I'd take an Alzheimer's patient to a foreign country, to do something they won't understand and is so far from their normal routine.

Before my Mum was diagnosed, we went back to Derbyshire, where she lived for 50 years, for a family wedding, her family. By 3 pm she was so distressed that we had to leave the church. She's was panicking and confused about where she was and what was happening. She kept saying "I want to go home" and kept asking "who's that woman who keeps talking to me" (her sister). She paced the floor of the hotel room all night and only settled when we got her back home.

That episode caused Dad to take her to the Doctor and that's when she was diagnosed.

Can you cope with episodes like that 3,000 miles from home. Do you have the resources to get him back home quickly if he gets distressed.

You really need to sit down and decide if this trip is feasible. Talk to the Drs and see if they think he'll manage the trip.

Sorry I sound such a Debbie downer, and if you do decide to go, I hope it's a successful trip.
My thoughts are with you all as you travel the path with this horrible disease.
This is what I thought when I read your post. Such a horrible disease for the person and for the family.

The flight is quite long too, which may prove to be too much for your FIL.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Deb
Old 3 Apr 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by grottyrotty View Post
This is what I thought when I read your post. Such a horrible disease for the person and for the family.
It is a truly horrible disease. Sounds awful, but when Mum actually died in some ways it was a blessing. People used to say, sorry you've lost you Mum, but really my lovely Mum had been gone for years.

I don't know if there are Alzheimer's Care Societies over there, but I'd recommend the OP get in touch, they're very helpful.

Edited at 07:54 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

When you say 'Everglades' you need to consider what you mean by that. The 'Everglades National Park' is a vast swampy wilderness extending 100 miles from west to east. Access by road is very limited. It is really a 2 centre stay. On the western edge you have Everglades City - a rather rustic village, despite its name. There is a boat tour around the islands, plus some airboats which are not allowed in the Park itself. It has some basic accommodation, but the best place to stay would be Naples - an upmarket town on the coast with a pier and beaches - you can do Everglades City on a day trip.
The Tamiami Trail is 100 mile long flat and straight, and runs from Naples to Miami just north of the Park. Shark Valley about half way along provides a 2nd access point, but only for a short tram tour. There are a couple of Indian village tourist traps, plus more airboats along the road.
At the Eastern end there is the 3rd entrance: the main Park Visitor Centre from which a 40 mile road leads through the park to Flamingo, where there is some camping, small marina and a couple more boat tours. The main accommodation in the east is the entire massive urban sprawl of Miami. The southern edge of that is Florida City and Homestead where there are some chain hotels, which are OK, but the area is downmarket, but is the closest to the Park entrance. Elsewhere in Miami, you have the beaches from Miami Beach northwards for 75 miles through Ft Lauderdale up to Trump's place at Palm Beach, but you are on the opposite side of Miami to the Park (2hrs - lots of traffic!). The other alternative is the north end of the Keys, at Key Largo.
It is the sort of holiday that needs some research and planning to make the most of it. Get a guide book and browse all the web sites. I did it in Sept 2015 - 4 nights in Naples and 4 in Homestead. Beware, the mosquitoes in the Park at that time of year are absolute hell!
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry to hear of your father-in-laws illness, such a terrible disease x

We wanted to visit the Everglades last year as I have always wanted to go on an airboat. We stayed in Cape Coral on the Gulf Coast and had such an amazing week, we went to the Everglades for the day for an airboat trip, went to some beautiful tropical islands (Sanibel and Captiva), visited Naples and went on a dolphin tour. There were 10 of us, 6 adults and 4 children aged 10, 9, 9 and 8 and it was a great time.

If your FiL is well enough, I would highly recommend the area. I believe there is a waterpark nearby too.
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List