Old 27 Jul 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Our First Family Disney Holiday: Day Five

Day Four

Day Five: Disneyland Park, Plaza Gardens Character Breakfast and Going Home
Friday 2nd June 2017

I had an awful night that night – stomach cramps and Hayden was also tossing and turning and moaning in his sleep too. I decided it must have been something I ate as everyone else was fine. Hayden’s feeling poorly was something else entirely, which I’ll get to later. I had read a few reviews of Annette’s where people had reported that the veggie burger and caused them to feel unwell so it could have been that.

Cramps or not, we were up at 6am, getting everything packed up and ready. We had a reservation for the Character breakfast at Plaza Gardens for 8.15am and I was really excited about this – definitely a great high to end the holiday. We were all ready to go about 7ish and went to take our luggage to be left at the hotel and then sent on as part of the Disney Express service. We were gutted to find out it didn’t open until 7.30 but at 7.15 the staff came and let us all in early, result!

We queued up for the bus and as we were waiting, I noticed a few spots on Hayden’s neck. Owen had got him dressed that morning otherwise I think I might have noticed them earlier. I knew that chickenpox had been going around his Nursery but as he seemed fine in himself, I put it to the back of my mind for the moment.

We arrived at the gates in plenty of time and queued up for Extra Magic Hours opening which unfortunately we were unable to take advantage of yet again. When the gates did open, there were lots of people sprinting for the rides and character meets. We were headed straight to the right for Plaza Gardens. We were one of the first groups there. I parked the buggy outside and we were seated straight away, right next to the start of the buffet on the left side of the restaurant. It was a while before characters appeared (about 15 minutes or so) so we had time to get our food. It was so novel to have so much choice after the Santa Fe’s simple offerings. I had beans, potatoes, toast and fruit. Hayden had bacon, sausage, a waffle and a pancake and Ashley sampled porridge, fruit and a pancake. Owen had eggs, bacon, sausage and toast, I think. It was delicious and I would highly recommend it.

I love the little Mickey highchairs - so cute!

Cheesy grin!

We were one of the first tables the characters went to. Tigger was first. He’s my mum’s favourite so t was like having a third child with us! She discovered her photo didn’t come out well and after asking the CM, they let her wait until breakfast was over to get more snaps. A bit of Disney magic there! Then it was Eeyore. Hayden was a little sad that he didn’t sign his autograph book but I explained not all charcters have the hands to sign After that it was Piglet. Each of the characters posed for photos and signed Hayden’s book if they could. They also went over to Ashley who I’d kept in his highchair but he didn’t care for them at all, often turning away!

I'd rather eat my apple than look at you.

We had some more food and after about another 15 minutes, the next rotation of characters came. This started with McScrooge who kept rubbing his fingers together asking for money which was funny. Then Daisy and finally the main man himself, Mickey. Hayden was just as excited to meet Mickey as he was the first time. I thought as it was Mickey, I’d get Ashley out of his chair for a group photo when finally we had a reaction, he reached out and touched his nose, all smiles and giggles! I could have cried!

By this point it was time to leave but Hayden kept asking where Pooh Bear was which makes sense really, the other main three were there! It was around 9am now so we decided to head over to City Hall in a last ditch effort to see if by some miracle he was appearing anywhere. The CMs checked the schedule and rang around for us, but alas, it wasn’t to be.

It was now nearing 9.30am and I discovered that Owen hadn’t actually been on Thunder Mountain yet! Well we couldn’t have that, so we decided to queue at the rope. The others who were still in Plaza Gardens joined us and then it was a race for the ride with all the other people waiting. Owen, Rachel, Peter and Alex headed over to Thunder Mountain whilst me, Mum and the boys went towards the riverboat. This was a lovely serene ride and was very quiet as it was the first boat of the day. The boys enjoyed looking at all the sights. By the time we’d finished the others had too and after a quick toilet break, we decided we’d try the train again but this time from Frontierland.

As we approached the station, a train was coming in so we all bolted for it. We needn’t have bothered as there was too long a queue. We learned that the train was only every 30 minutes so you could expect a wait of at least that time. However, what was nice was we were near the front of the line and there were benches in the queue to sit and wait. It was a nice relaxing wait and I got the toy Cars out for Ashley to play with. Hayden sat and did some colouring in with his Cars colouring set. If only all queuing could be this chilled out!

Ashley was proud about putting his cars in a line

The train ride was enjoyed by all and took about 30 minutes to do the loop. Everyone else in our group got off at Main Street Station – Mum and Alex were heading to Studios Park, which was our original plan and Peter and Rachel were going to try some other rides. We ahd to stay on to get the buggy which we’d left at Frontierland Station but I’m glad we did as just before you get to Frontierland, there’s a little indoor display of animals like bears and coyotes and mountain lions.

By this time it was already nearly 12. We could either head over to Studios Park like we’d originally planned but risk hungry children and chips/burgers for food or go to Fuente del Oro which I’d really wanted to try based on their menu. I love Mexican style food. We decided to stay where we were. It was very quiet so we got served straight away. I got the Taco salad, Owen the loaded chips and Hayden some nachos. I think Owen also got a coke. I thought the salad was delicious and although my stomach still wasn’t 100 percent, it went down well. Hayden barely touched his nachos, one of his favourite foods so I knew something was up

It doesn't look very appetising, but the food was better than it looks!

Hayden decided he wanted to go on It’s a Small World, again so we gave up completely on our Studios plan and headed over to Fantasyland. On the way, we stopped off at a shop in Adventureland where Hayden got a toy giraffe and a t-shirt. We also took photos of different characters along the way.

Hayden saw Chip and Dale and first wanted to queue but then changed his mind and decided he’s rather not wait and It’s a Small World was much more important. It was around this time, Hayden started losing colour and feeling less than happy. He was complaining about the heat and when I checked, he had more spots, including over his chest and back. It was definitely chickenpox then. We couldn’t really do much about it now so continued with our plan and we went on It’s a Small World.

We realised that Hayden had yet to go on Autopia and as he loves cars, thought this would cheer him up. Owen and Hayden queued up and I tried to get Ashley to sleep but he wasn’t having any of it. I guess it’s no nap today then. Whilst we waited, around 45 minutes in the end, I whizzed off to get fastpasses for Buzz as they were only an hour or so after the current time.

Try to spot Hayden

We saw Nautilus was nearby and as we hadn’t seen it, Hayden and I went to explore. It was a nice walk through and had no wait time, but was quite dark and as the other family in there were trying to make each other jump and scare each other, Hayden got scared and we walked through quicker than I would have liked. We also noticed there was a Star Wars film we could watch and as it would keep us cool and we could sit down, we went in. Hayden’s image of Darth Vader was shattered by the film. He looked distressed to see him using the force for the Dark Side. By the time we were done, it was time to use our Buzz fastpass. Well now I know why it was so easy to get, you skip maybe 5 minutes of the queue! Hayden once again refused to shoot so I had to do both guns.

Look at his little top of the head!

Meanwhile, Hayden kept asking to go home. It ws nearing our train departure time of around 4pm (it was about 2.30 at this point) so we said our goodbyes. We saw Goofy and Pluto doing an impromptu meet as we left and headed out to meet up with the others.

We met Mum and Alex outside the Studios. They’d had a great time, doing the Backlot Tour, seeing the Storm troopers and Star Wars show and meeting Captain Jack Sparrow.

Whilst we waited for Peter and Rachel, I sent Owen to get us an Earl of Sandwich for our dinner to eat on the train. Then it was time to say goodbye to Disney and head towards the station.

Well… packed was one word to describe it. There were crazy long queues everywhere – for Disney Express, for Security, for passport control. It was manic! I started to panic we’d miss the train. I wish we’d left for the station sooner! Whilst everyone else went to get the suitcases, I stayed put with the boys. It was so packed, it was easier to not venture too far. It felt like they were ages with their luggage. I’d clocked a shorter queue for passport/ticket check in so we went to that one and were through in a few minutes. Scanning our stuff was stressful especially as we had so many bags and suitcases. One security guard said I needed to take Ashley out of the buggy and I think I must have snapped at here that I needed to load everything else on first otherwise he’d run away! Once we got through to the other side, we found our carriage on the platform. As Rachel and Alex had booked later, they were sitting elsewhere. Peter swapped seats with Alex which was kind of him.

When it was time to get on the train, again, it was stressful and a mad scramble but there were two very kind men who helped everyone get their luggage on the train and helped me as I had both boys, various bags and the buggy still whilst Owen and Peter sorted out the luggage. Once we were on, I finally felt a bit of relief. The journey on the way back wasn’t as successful. Hayden was really unwell by this point and barely touched his food. Ashley wouldn’t keep still and kept whinging. At one point he spilled almost an entire bottle of water all over me and the table. :angry: People nearby were brilliant and gave us tissues to mop it all up. I eventually got him to sleep with lots of rocking after he’d had his milk.

Ashley woke up when it was time to get off and again, it was a bit of scramble to get off the train with everything and two tired, fed up boys. We also had to wait for the lift and then we had to go through passport control again. Owen got the car and we got home about 8. Both boys fell asleep quickly and I rang 112 whom confirmed chickenpox. Poor Hayden had a really high temperature and spots everywhere. Not quite the ending I had planned and I felt awful he’d been contagious all that time whilst we were away but it’s one of those things I guess. Not the best end to the holiday...

Well that's my trip reporting done. Thank you for those who have read it. I hope I haven't bored you too much! It's certainly been nice remembering everything a few months later. I've been feeling the need for some more Disney ever since we got back but this has helped fill that hole.
Old 27 Jul 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Oh, bless him! Poor Hayden, but thank goodness it was only his last day that he suffered. Did Ashley catch them once you were home or did he manage to avoid them? Thanks again for taking the time to share your holiday, I can see how much work goes into these reports. X
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm pleased it was the last day it all happened. Ashley got them about 2 weeks later but he actually did better with it and they didn't bother him at all. I'm pleased we've got chickenpox over and done with! It took me about 2-3 hours each day to write up and upload the photos. I took a few notes whilst away so I could remember what we did and what we ate. I've enjoyed the experience of trip writing. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to do more trip reports in the future 😊
Old 28 Jul 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

What a shame you had such a bad ending to the holiday but, as you say, at least it was the last day and not the first. Loved Ashley's reaction (or lack of!) to the characters. He's obviously going to play it cool when he gets older.
We love Fuente del Oro as well and try to visit every trip. Only two weeks to our next one now - we're very excited (apart from DD1 who says she doesn't want to go if she can't meet Pooh Bear - lo!)
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Mmm we love Fuente del Oro too!

Aww poor Hayden, he did really well to keep going when feeling under the weather. He must've been really enjoying himself!

Like you say, at least chicken pox is done now!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
What a shame you had such a bad ending to the holiday but, as you say, at least it was the last day and not the first. Loved Ashley's reaction (or lack of!) to the characters. He's obviously going to play it cool when he gets older.
We love Fuente del Oro as well and try to visit every trip. Only two weeks to our next one now - we're very excited (apart from DD1 who says she doesn't want to go if she can't meet Pooh Bear - lo!)
Have a lovely time. After we returned, some fellow dibbers did say they saw Pooh Bear so you could be luckier than us 😊