Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Aug 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The problem with a lot of this other stuff is they cannot give them away (prime example- £1) and in many like Diamond the dues go through the roof. You then often cannot give them away and they are locked into a never ending increasing liability. DVC isn't like that- if you look at the historical resale data for the last 25 years, the value of resale has steadily always climbed- seems to be accelerating at the moment. I was surprised to see my last Saratoga contract has increased by $10 + a point in 6 months albeit it will probably drip back a bit at Xmas/ New Year. However even with DVC if you'd bought new today, and sold in the next 5 years you'd likely lose some money after fees etc, and for Brits the US Government hold back I think 20% it is now which can be challenging to get back.
but if you go with a slightly more reputable company, like Marriott or Hilton, the Annual fee's seem to be pretty stable, and in my experience the Marriott does trade very well

I have been watching Grand Vista ( marriott ) since i purchased mine, when i got it it was $161 ( i think ) this years fee's were $889.01, which for a 2 bed in cypress harbour for 1 week is great

just out of interest, the fees were

2016 were $853.24
2015 was 762.32
2014 was 716.49
2013 was 684.04
2012 was 649.87

the jump from 15 to 16 was due to extensive resort refurbs

though i guess its a fair increase from 2012 $ 649.87 to this year $889.01, $240 ( ish ) in 5 years ? ? is that alot ? ? i dont know, $55 a year ? ? ?

imho $889.01 for a 2 bed unit isnt too bad
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dutchdisneyfan View Post
For us the answer was no, but that is because we book with the free ddp deal and the SSR discount. If they stop this deal, it would be a different story.
The reason we also decided not to do it is, it's for 50 years! I will be 87 then, would love to live life to the fullest but I'm afraid I will not be traveling at that age.
We have 2 kids who love Disney, but who says they can afford to travel and pay the annual fees.

But every now and again I have a look at the resale sites because the intrest on our bankaccount is now just 0,1% so better spend it and enjoy.
The UK Disney cash deals seem to have improved again (I think they've reduced them- was it not selling). You are correct in that if you want the dining and will stay at OKW or SSR in summer holidays, DVD at the moment may not be overly attractive. 10 nights next August is £1650 for a 1 bed once you knock off the dining plan cost for 4 (2000). That's actually incredible value, but they are making the money on the park ticket, park spending and the dining plan. That room would cost 290 points, and at roughly £5 per point in dues I pay at Satatoga (some dues like Copper Creek are higher) there's not much difference between the dues only cost and a cash booking IF you don't mind paying £2k for the dining plan. In reality we eat and drink what we want and will probably pay around £1500 cash so there is £500 saving. At the moment if you are happy staying OKW or SSR in summer and getting the dining plan, DVC isn't worth it, now at this moment.
However, once we look at different resorts it is an entirely different picture:
Go to AKL where I am going next year and if you want a 1 bed suite (which we have to have, this is the real DVC value to us) it is 10800 for the same 10 days. However you can only get 1 beds paying cash at Disney in Club level, so being VERY generous I'll knock off over 2k over the cost of the non club DVC 1 bed. That is still £8500 and the dues cost is circa £1700- an absolutely vast difference, and I don't have to get the dining plan.
Beach Club is £7940 club 1 bed(say 6k standard 1 bed) compared to £1800 in dues. Grand Floridian is 14k (so say 12k for a standard 1 bed) for the 10 nights (!) whilst dues cost is 2250. I can stay in any of these in a 1 bed with my Saratoga points ( and I can actually book them- 1 beds go much slower than studios and summer is quiet DVC time) that cost me a net £8500 after I rented the 2016 banked points that came on the contract. You can see how I'd quickly get my money back at these other properties, and I have little doubt I'll probably at least recover my £8.5 k outlay if I want to sell my SSR in 20 years.
So I've crunched the numbers before buying (in fact I didn't compare to Disney prices but instead compared to the cheapest way to go which is renting points where the 'savings' are not quite so spectacular) and I was happy making a financial decision to use some cash I had in the bank earning littke interest to make the purchase.
Of course dues do increase (normally under 5% a year) but hotel price inflation at Disney has far outstripped this and of course that increase percentage is on a £5 a point dues cost, rather than a whole hotel room cost. So in 20 years what will tgat Grand Floridian 1 bed then cost? I'll know what I will be paying and I suspect my 8k initial buy in would get me 5 nights max if paying cash then, so it will then seem a real bargain. Rental rates also continue to rise and if I didn't want to use my points I can just easily rent them out at circa £1k profit per year.
But buying at 185 a point, even worse on finance? Madness.
As to the 50 years don't let that worry you. First the new resorts are 50, my Saratoga ends 2054. But here is the biggie- it is very sellable. Most contracts hitting the market sell in a week, many at the moment are going before they are even listed on the resellers websites.
Before buying DVC ensure it fits in with your plans, never buy on finance, and only consider buying if you wish to stay in deluxe DVC (not other) properties at least every 2 years. Spend at least 3 (I spent 6) intensive months of research before buying. Buy with the head, not the heart and NEVER buy on impulse after a sales presentation- 10 -20 years ago you could do that and get a bargain, not now.

Edited at 01:46 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
but if you go with a slightly more reputable company, like Marriott or Hilton, the Annual fee's seem to be pretty stable, and in my experience the Marriott does trade very well

I have been watching Grand Vista ( marriott ) since i purchased mine, when i got it it was $161 ( i think ) this years fee's were $889.01, which for a 2 bed in cypress harbour for 1 week is great

just out of interest, the fees were

2016 were $853.24
2015 was 762.32
2014 was 716.49
2013 was 684.04
2012 was 649.87

the jump from 15 to 16 was due to extensive resort refurbs

though i guess its a fair increase from 2012 $ 649.87 to this year $889.01, $240 ( ish ) in 5 years ? ? is that alot ? ? i dont know, $55 a year ? ? ?

imho $889.01 for a 2 bed unit isnt too bad
No doesnt seem too bad. DVC runs around 5% or under I think compound. Room rates at Disney have increased much more rapidly. Another reason I bought SSR is the dues are low AND they have a vast sum in capital reserves, looked at the accounts first, so shouldn't be hit with big increases for refurbs (one is coming).

Edited at 09:47 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The UK Disney cash deals seem to have improved again (I think they've reduced them- was it not selling). You are correct in that if you want the dining and will stay at OKW or SSR in summer holidays, DVD at the moment may not be overly attractive. 10 nights next August is £1650 for a 1 bed once you knock off the dining plan cost for 4 (2000). That's actually incredible value, but they are making the money on the park ticket, park spending and the dining plan. That room would cost 290 points, and at roughly £5 per point in dues I pay at Satatoga (some dues like Copper Creek are higher) there's not much difference between the dues only cost and a cash booking IF you don't mind paying £2k for the dining plan. In reality we eat and drink what we want and will probably pay around £1500 cash so there is £500 saving. At the moment if you are happy staying OKW or SSR in summer and getting the dining plan, DVC isn't worth it, now at this moment.
However, once we look at different resorts it is an entirely different picture:
Go to AKL where I am going next year and if you want a 1 bed suite (which we have to have, this is the real DVC value to us) it is 10800 for the same 10 days. However you can only get 1 beds paying cash at Disney in Club level, so being VERY generous I'll knock off over 2k over the cost of the non club DVC 1 bed. That is still £8500 and the dues cost is circa £1700- an absolutely vast difference, and I don't have to get the dining plan.
Beach Club is £7940 club 1 bed(say 6k standard 1 bed) compared to £1800 in dues. Grand Floridian is 14k (so say 12k for a standard 1 bed) for the 10 nights (!) whilst dues cost is 2250. I can stay in any of these in a 1 bed with my Saratoga points ( and I can actually book them- 1 beds go much slower than studios and summer is quiet DVC time) that cost me a net £8500 after I rented the 2016 banked points that came on the contract. You can see how I'd quickly get my money back at these other properties, and I have little doubt I'll probably at least recover my £8.5 k outlay if I want to sell my SSR in 20 years.
So I've crunched the numbers before buying (in fact I didn't compare to Disney prices but instead compared to the cheapest way to go which is renting points where the 'savings' are not quite so spectacular) and I was happy making a financial decision to use some cash I had in the bank earning littke interest to make the purchase.
Of course dues do increase (normally under 5% a year) but hotel price inflation at Disney has far outstripped this and of course that increase percentage is on a £5 a point dues cost, rather than a whole hotel room cost. So in 20 years what will tgat Grand Floridian 1 bed then cost? I'll know what I will be paying and I suspect my 8k initial buy in would get me 5 nights max if paying cash then, so it will then seem a real bargain. Rental rates also continue to rise and if I didn't want to use my points I can just easily rent them out at circa £1k profit per year.
But buying at 185 a point, even worse on finance? Madness.
As to the 50 years don't let that worry you. First the new resorts are 50, my Saratoga ends 2054. But here is the biggie- it is very sellable. Most contracts hitting the market sell in a week, many at the moment are going before they are even listed on the resellers websites.
Before buying DVC ensure it fits in with your plans, never buy on finance, and only consider buying if you wish to stay in deluxe DVC (not other) properties at least every 2 years. Spend at least 3 (I spent 6) intensive months of research before buying. Buy with the head, not the heart and NEVER buy on impulse after a sales presentation- 10 -20 years ago you could do that and get a bargain, not now.
Thanks for your input.

If anybody is interested I still have numbers DVC gave us.
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List