Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 13 Aug 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile DAS and fireworks viewing

Hi I am going to Disney in a few months travelling on my own with my 2 children. My son has ADHD and is in the process of getting an ASD diagnosis. I know I will be able to get a DAS but as I am going at a busy time when the magic Kingdom fireworks are only on 4 times in 10 days I know this will be busier than normal. I am happy to wait to secure a space but I know he will not and not having another adult there to take him off and keep him occupied means this could all end in a meltdown.

Many years ago when I went they had special areas for people in wheelchairs, do they have areas for people with DAS? This would make it all a lot easier.

Thanks in advance
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

The roped off areas are for the parade, not fireworks. We booked the dessert parties so that we didn't have to stake out a place in advance.
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
The roped off areas are for the parade, not fireworks. We booked the dessert parties so that we didn't have to stake out a place in advance.
Thank you for the reply this is what I was considering but it's a lot of money and I didn't want to pay it then find after there was a reserved area.

Are the roped off areas for parade more for wheelchair users or can anyone with a das use these?
Old 13 Aug 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by Kirsty2tt View Post
Thank you for the reply this is what I was considering but it's a lot of money and I didn't want to pay it then find after there was a reserved area.

Are the roped off areas for parade more for wheelchair users or can anyone with a das use these?
I 'think' anyone with a Das can use the area, our son uses a wheelchair though. Epcot has an area for Illuminations but you need to get there early. We tend to watch from near France, just wait a few minutes before it starts.

It is a lot of money for the dessert parties, they weren't as expensive when we did them a few times.
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I 'think' anyone with a Das can use the area, our son uses a wheelchair though. Epcot has an area for Illuminations but you need to get there early. We tend to watch from near France, just wait a few minutes before it starts.

It is a lot of money for the dessert parties, they weren't as expensive when we did them a few times.
Thank you for your advice
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Al I can find is this but it seems to refer to parades and shows:

Parade Route and Show Areas

Parade routes and some show areas at Walt Disney World Resort have designated viewing areas for Guests with disabilities. These areas are provided for Guest comforts and are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests should plan to arrive early, as space is limited. Be advised that most areas along our parade routes are accessible to guests with disabilities. Due to Guest demand, viewing spaces cannot be reserved or guaranteed. Parties larger than 6 will be asked to separate and reunite afterwards. Guest Relations can provide information on show times and other special events on the day of each visit.

I'd ask at City Hall in MK and see what they can advise.

If you want to call them beforehand to check its

001- 407-939-2273. If you dial 0844 – 200 -9595 first it will only cost you 1p per minute.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Al I can find is this but it seems to refer to parades and shows:

Parade Route and Show Areas

Parade routes and some show areas at Walt Disney World Resort have designated viewing areas for Guests with disabilities. These areas are provided for Guest comforts and are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Guests should plan to arrive early, as space is limited. Be advised that most areas along our parade routes are accessible to guests with disabilities. Due to Guest demand, viewing spaces cannot be reserved or guaranteed. Parties larger than 6 will be asked to separate and reunite afterwards. Guest Relations can provide information on show times and other special events on the day of each visit.

I'd ask at City Hall in MK and see what they can advise.

If you want to call them beforehand to check its

001- 407-939-2273. If you dial 0844 – 200 -9595 first it will only cost you 1p per minute.
Thank you for this, I will give them a call and see what they can advise.
Old 13 Aug 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
When we were there last month there was no area for people with das to watch happily ever after. To make sure we managed to watch it we booked a specialty cruise unfortunately this is quite expensive but for us it was worth every penny. However, my daughter still wanted to try and watch it from inside the park and when we asked we were told that one area which is quieter is the train platform at the start of main street.

I would still try ringing though just incase they can offer some assistance.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzzy View Post
When we were there last month there was no area for people with das to watch happily ever after. To make sure we managed to watch it we booked a specialty cruise unfortunately this is quite expensive but for us it was worth every penny. However, my daughter still wanted to try and watch it from inside the park and when we asked we were told that one area which is quieter is the train platform at the start of main street.

I would still try ringing though just incase they can offer some assistance.
Thank you it's good to hear other people have had the same issue. We have got dinner booked at 'Ohana one night to watch them from there but I would love to see the projections. I will call them at some point this week to see what they suggest but have a feeling I may have to find an extra $150 for the desert party. It is mainly HEA I am concerned about with so few showings over the 10 days we are there.
Old 25 Aug 17, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Did you you get an answer from phoning? We went in 2015 and used a FP for wishes but sadly no longer available 😐. Good luck and enjoy your trip xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List