Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Aug 17, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
redscouse2
Excited about Disney

Pe virgin reward upgrade voucher

Hi , can anyone help please?
Hoping to book 3 reward seats (pe) for August 2018 , I have one upgrade voucher to use but if I make the booking and between now and next August I accrue another upgrade voucher, would I be able to use this on my existing booking ?
Nicky
redscouse2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Rewards bookings can be modified at any point up until quite close to departure. If they can't apply it to the booking directly, you should be able to cancel and rebook using the voucher. Check the fees on this, I think it should be the standard admin fee (£30) but I'm not sure on full cancellation.

But I believe there would have to be miles seats available in economy as well, even if you're not using them. Something to do with how the booking system works I think. I'm sure that was the process when I last used my vouchers.

They're only issued yearly regardless if you reach the spend threshold early btw, usually on your card anniversary date.

Edited at 05:02 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

On Virgin Atlantic you earn air miles and tier points on their flights and through their partners. To redeem the air miles you need to have earned them first. You can't put air miles you earn on a flight towards that same flight, only a future one. They are only credited to your account when you actually make the journey, not when you make the booking - so you can't use miles from one booking on a second booking for a second flight if you still haven't flown the first flight.
You talk about 'vouchers'. I haven't a clue what they are, as I have never seen them mentioned on the VA Flying Club web site - you can get a reward or upgrade if you have sufficient miles in your account at the time you book.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

The really simple answer is yes. But that's pretty theoretical because MCO redemptions for school holidays are all booked up within a day or 2 of release.

What would happen is that you would call Virgin advising them you wished to use your upgrade voucher and the agent would then reserve your seats in PE and deduct both the miles for Economy and the upgrade voucher from your account. You give your credit card number and the PE copay is settled via your credit card. Since you don't have the PE voucher fir the third seat you'd have that deducted at full miles then call when you get the next voucher asking them to apply it against that seat and deduct the miles. If you're sweet and they're in a good mood they'll just swap in another PE redemption seat on the same flight effectively cancelling your earlier seat, refunding the miles and substituting the new one with the upgrade cert, and not bother with the £35 cancel fee.

Now, if you want to fly to Washington DC in February you have a great chance that the seats will be available now, and there'll still be PE redemption seats available in, say, November for the swap. But I'm afraid you want August and I'm not sure Virgin even releases 3 PE seats in August for you to reserve in the first place. One thing I do know is you'll be remarkably fortunate indeed for one to be available in a few months time to make the swap. Really, remarkably fortunate.

August redemption seats from UK to Florida are very difficult to get. You need to leap in on release day which I think is 330 days beforehand for each leg. Don't expect any more to be made available after that!
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ianc View Post
On Virgin Atlantic you earn air miles and tier points on their flights and through their partners. To redeem the air miles you need to have earned them first. You can't put air miles you earn on a flight towards that same flight, only a future one. They are only credited to your account when you actually make the journey, not when you make the booking - so you can't use miles from one booking on a second booking for a second flight if you still haven't flown the first flight.
You talk about 'vouchers'. I haven't a clue what they are, as I have never seen them mentioned on the VA Flying Club web site - you can get a reward or upgrade if you have sufficient miles in your account at the time you book.
The vouchers are a feature of the VA credit card, not the FC itself. They have two that they offer, the one the OP is talking about is the free PE upgrade redemption (you book PE but pay economy miles) that is issued based on spend. Just to clear that up.

Edited at 05:36 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I really wish you only paid economy taxes too!
Old 17 Aug 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
redscouse2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for all your replies 😊😊
redscouse2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

The 1-way PE from US to UK has the same copay as Economy.

I'm spending the last of my Virgin and United miles next year to DC.

United out from Dublin to DC is 30k United miles and £30 - the Ryanair flight to Dublin is £16.

The Virgin return leg from JFK to Manchester in Economy is 10k Virgin miles and $140. I've used my AMEX upgrade voucher against it at no extra cash cost.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ElsasGloves
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Could I please hijack the thread and ask a related question?
I have four upgrade vouchers from my Amex accounts (2 each for me and DH) but if you pay PE taxes as opposed to economy, will I actually be any better off than just redeeming my miles? We have a collective 150,000 at the moment so have about 30,000 short of just using them. I suppose you could say that I would still have 80,000 miles in the bank if we cashed in 100,000 for the economy seats and then used the vouchers perhaps...
But I'm guessing availability is better for us just going straight with PE miles than hoping for an economy redemption and then upgrading?
This is very much new to me!
ElsasGloves is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
redscouse2
Excited about Disney

I believe as long as there is availability in PE then you can use your upgrade voucher .