Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Aug 17, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Any tips/suggestions for Rome and Sorrento?

Hi Dibbers! We're going to Rome and Sorrento for my birthday late September and I'm getting SO excited We've never been to Italy and I've always wanted to go to Rome and Pompeii, and it's finally happening! Yay!

We've got 3.5 ish days/3 nights in Rome and 2 days/2 nights in Sorrento, although we're basing ourselves in Sorrento mainly for Pompeii so won't be exploring too much in the days as we need to get to Rome for our flight on the last day I think I've got most things sorted like transfers, travel between the 2 etc. We're booking our tickets for the Colosseum and Vatican before we go, and we're doing the guided underground tour of the Colosseum too. Going for the audio tour option at Pompeii so we can fully explore, combined with guidebooks!

Does anyone have any must do restaurants/bars they can recommend for us? I feel like we won't go far wrong if we stay away from the mega touristy places and I've read you can't really get a bad pizza in Rome haha, but if there are any amazing restaurants I'd love to hear about them

Thanks in advance! x
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi,

Sorrento is a great place but if you wont have a chance to explore the Amalfi coast and are going mainly for pompeii, have you considered staying in Naples.

Only asking as it would be more practical and quicker (by car or train) to get to both Pompeii and Rome from there?
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Yes we had originally booked Naples but we weren't feeling it so switched to Sorrento even though it's further! We didn't really want to go to Naples at all whereas we at least would like to explore Sorrento so we decided to go a bit further on and stay somewhere nicer Thank you though!
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Sorrento is gorgeous. I've not been for a few years, but the views of Mount Vesuvius are amazing! Enjoy a drink/light meal at the Foreigners Club (and use of the free toilets if nothing else) for a good view. it's very touristy if you don't mind that but worth it for the view.

Catch the train to Pompei/Herculaneum (sp) and also if you have time catch the ferry over to Capri and get the funicular up to the shops/bars etc. at the top.

There's loads of little streets with nice restaurants in Sorrento - probably a bit like Rome, where you can't get a bad pizza!
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

I would book a tour with dark Rome.
You get to see things you wouldn't normally come across on your own!
Plus have a walk in to Trastevere (I like to stay here) Santa Maria square at night is amazing.
Rome is an amazing place to walk and get lost in... always alittle bar/cafe to sit and watch people going about there business!
Have a great time
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Check out Hannikins' trip reports, great info there.

We will be on the Disney Magic round the Med in early September so you will just miss us!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

As you only have 2 days this trip, you might want to stick to Pompei and Sorrento, but the Isle of Capri is GORGEOUS... Just a short breezy boat ride from Sorrento. SPent our 10th anniversary there. Very romantic! I loved Pompei. Much ≈≈≈≈≈≈ in scale than I'd imagined.

NO helpful suggestions for food, sorry. DO try the limoncello though.

Have a great trip. X
Old 19 Aug 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Dar poeta in Trastevere is a fab place to eat pizza. Lots of international students, Priests ect... the atmosphere is tremendous. You must book though. But definitely worth it!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Love Rome, we went in December for my birthday.

We're not tourist bus people, but loved the hop on hop off bus. Was brilliant on our 3rd day just to jump on and off to see the things we wanted to see again without all the walking on our last day.

We found a great restaurant in a side road just off the Piazza Navona. Found it by accident the first time and it was so good we went back on our last night.

tripadvisor/Restau...ome_Lazio.html

We're looking to do Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri next year. Hope you have a wonderful time.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Megara84
Proud to wear my Ears

We're going towards the middle of October. We have three days in Rome, three in Florence and and then one final night in Rome. I have done EXTENSIVE (obsessive?) TripAdvisor research and it seems like Trastevere has the best bars and restaurants. The other thing I've learned is that it's totally worth paying for a private Vatican tour, apparently it cuts out the whole queue.

Are you airbnb-ing? I've always found it works v well for in room wines before going out!

Edited at 08:12 PM.
Megara84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List