Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 9 Apr 17, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Anyone done a day trip to the Keys from Miami?

As the title says really. We have 2.5 days in Miami at the start of our trip and are busy planning. We plan a whole day sightseeing in Miami but DH is keen to book a day trip to the Keys as he has been told the trip in better on a coach than in a car. Just wondering if anyone had done this as we won't pick up the car until we leave Miami so driving ourselves isn't really an option.
It seems like a long time on a coach to me so I was wondering if you have done this whether it is worth it and if you can recommend a company as there are quite a few to choose from.
There are myself, DH and DS (16) in our group. Any alternative suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!
Old 9 Apr 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

Hello,we did this a couple of years ago and just before the start of the 7 mile bridge we stopped in a little park for a break which had a subway and a few other things there,but most amazing part was sitting on the rocks by the river and watching dolphins messing about,it was amazing.When we got to key west we wern't impressed,were told to pay 20$ to have a photo taken by the most southern part of usa,this wasn't a pro photographer but a gang of cubans,not a pleasant experience,the drive is not a quick one about 4-5 hours so not a quick trip.Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip.
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We did it the day after we arrived because we were up early and I had a full tank of petrol to use. As the previous poster said it was a good 4 - 5 hour trip and other than the speed limit going up and down a lot it was an easy drive. We had a good wander round Key West and did a couple of tours. Would I do it again? I really don't know.
Old 9 Apr 17, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
S'mE
Excited about Disney

One thing to consider is that most of the road is single lane, so if there are roadworks or an accident en route, then the travelling time could increase.
S'mE is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all, we are thinking of giving it a miss and maybe going to Key Largo instead...
Old 9 Apr 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Key Largo is in the Keys anyway. If you decide to go there don't miss John Pennekamp State Park. The only State Park that's in the water.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

John pennekamo Park is fab and only a couple of hours from Miami.

You can book snorkel trips where they take you out into the ocean and dive in!
Fab
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes, many times.
The Keys have four major cities: Key Largo (closest to Miami), Marathon/Islamorada(the middle Keys), and the main city of Key West.

If you want to stay close to Miami go to Key Largo and go snorkeling and see mangroves and the Jesus statue in the Atlantic ( must snorkel down to see this).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 17, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Its a long old trek for a day, if you have the option stay over somewhere, if not I'd give it a miss.
Old 12 Apr 17, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think we have decided to give Key West a miss this trip & chill in & around Miami instead.