Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Apr 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 29 NYC

Today we were going to Coney Island, we went by subway and it took just under an hour. It was a nice journey out of Manhattan as you go over Manhattan Bridge so you get a great view of Brooklyn Bridge and the skyline.

When we arrived the sun was shining which was good, we headed for the boardwalk.

Just before we got there we spotted a wall art display so we stopped to have a look. Very impressive!

Not much was open so we walked and ended up settling on the pier on a funky sunbathing type bench.

The boys walked to the end of the pier and watched the fisherman. It wasn’t particularly busy with people which shocked me as it had a good vibe and I thought it would be buzzing, the area reminded me a little of Brighton. We went and chilled on the beach in the sun for a while. The kids and DH weren’t fussed on trying the rides which surprised me as they love rides!

For lunch we were obviously going to sample the famous ‘Nathans’ hotdog so queued up at the beach side kiosk, the queue never seemed to move and there were wasps everywhere plus they had very little seating so we left and went to the station side restaurant. Again we queued for ages, I just think the staff were incredibly slow which was a little infuriating. We eventually got to the front of the queue and I think the server muttered all of two words to us…

Anyway we received our hot dogs, fries and drinks and went and sat in the sunshine but luckily there was an umbrella for shade as it was very warm now. The food was okay, fries were very good but hotdogs weren’t any nicer than the Ikea ones and it was quite an expensive lunch for what it was

We decided to head back around 3pm and head to SOHO as the kids wanted to spend their $. DS likes a company called Supreme, he had discovered there’s a shop in NYC so we go there first, what he forgot to tell us is that it’s a very popular shop! We queued for an hour and a half…they had bouncers and everything.

However he purchased some tops and a hat so all was good and not a complete waste of time. We visited lots of shops that to me were all the same but the kids had a great time.

Once we had finished shopping we walked through Little Italy and had some gelato.

We dropped the shopping off at the apartment and DS grabbed his baseball glove, we walked up to Bryant Park so they could play ball. I liked that the dogs have a separate area of the park which is fenced off, I stood watching them and their owners for ages. It made me really miss our pooch back in the UK.

The kids played ball for ages whilst the sun started to set. Then we walked over to Shake Shack and grabbed some burgers for dinner.

We walked back to the apartment via Magnolia Bakery, well all this walking makes you hungry

A lovely end to a lovely day…

Steps today; 14,967

Floors climbed; 23

*Tip of the day *Don’t forget sunscreen for lips!
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Lucky you going to Coney Island - each time I go to NYC I say I would like to go but as I have only ever been in winter it isn't very practical!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

I'm loving all your visits to bakeries, although it is making me crave cakes and I'm supposed to be being good.
Old 12 Aug 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another good day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List