Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 25 Apr 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Wheelchair at MCO, return leg. Where do we go?

Where do we get wheelchair assistance at MCO as we are checking in at downtown disney? Is it far from the alamo car hire drop off as I'm not sure my mum can walk too far and from memory its a long trek up escalators to security, although I've not paid much attention before as it was never an issue to us on previous visits.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Not done it but curious also. I would assume its from the checkin desks as with other airports I've been to but don't know! Fingers crossed someone can tell us as my sister will have a similar issue in a few weeks
Old 25 Apr 17, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
Where do we get wheelchair assistance at MCO as we are checking in at downtown disney? Is it far from the alamo car hire drop off as I'm not sure my mum can walk too far and from memory its a long trek up escalators to security, although I've not paid much attention before as it was never an issue to us on previous visits.
The last time we did it for my DM was 4 years ago, we were lucky enough to find a wheelchair left at the Alamo Car return area, we then went to the Virgin desk within the airport, they needed to know that Mum needed a wheelchair when we landed in the UK. (She had used a wheelchair at Manchester airport when we left the UK so I just presumed they would realise that she would need one when we got home but they said they needed to make a note at MCO Virgin desk) I don't know if things have altered now but that was the case in 2013.
We had also checked in at Disney Springs earlier in the day.
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

I have been told by Virgin that there will be a wheelchair at both ends for both journeys for the 3 of my family that need the help, but I'm sure they will not be able to make it to the check in desks from the car hire walking all the way.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
I have been told by Virgin that there will be a wheelchair at both ends for both journeys for the 3 of my family that need the help, but I'm sure they will not be able to make it to the check in desks from the car hire walking all the way.
Then drop them off at the departures terminal and take the car back after drop off.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
goingsenile
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
I'm really interested in this too - we fly home from MCO tomorrow and there is no way my 85 year old mum can walk from the car return to check in and stand and wait in the q before getting a chair.
The idea of dropping off wouldn't really work either as there is just my 13 year old daughter - wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them.

Need to hope and pray for a chair !
AJ
Old 13 Jul 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymadmom
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hello goingsenile!

We were in exactly the same
position as you. My MIL couldn't walk from car drop off to check in (which incidentally is where they said the wheelchair assistance would be from)
We toyed with the idea of doing a drop off but decided instead to drop the car and worse case scenario I could walk to check in pick the chair up and bring it back.

Not needed as there were abandoned wheelchairs round the area of the car drop off.
I can only assume these were left there by people collecting cars earlier.

All I would say is maybe use the chair to get to check in then just check there that that particular chair is ok to go through to airside.

It wasn't until we were going through security that I thought "oh crap I've just picked up a random object and am now trying to take it through US security! "
I obviously have an active imagination as ofcourse it was fine but there was still a few flushed faces until we got through 😳😝
2019 Emerald Isle Resort - Sept/Oct >> 2018 OKW - HRH - BLT - BCV - May
2017 Oak Island Cove - May >>> 2016 HRH & SSR First time onsite! - May/Jun
2014 Oak Island Cove - Oct >> 2008 Oak Island Cove - Oct
2007 Emerald Isle Resort - Apr/May >> 2005 Oak Island Cove - Oct/Nov
2004 Espirit - Oct/Nov >> 2002 Holiday Inn Sunspree - May/Jun
disneymadmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

There is often a few Sky Caps hovering around Car Rental Return . I'm sure for a tip one would go and find a wheelchair if necessary.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Drop your wheelchair user at the terminal with others, then get rid of the car.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List