Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 15 Jun 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
6jonesss
Apprentice Imagineer

Help with what or how I get the USA blue badge pls

Hi we have recently been awarded a blue disability badge for our son. I believe I have to apply in Orlando for the USA equivalent. Can I do this before I go? If not we are in a villa in emerald island we're from here do I go if we have to apply in person. Lastly I know in universal they have disability bays to park do they have these in Disney and seaworld and do I have to make sure I tell the attendant when paying for the car park so I am directed to the correct area to park?

Thanks sorry for all the questions.
6jonesss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If you go n to the special needs forum there's a stickynwithnall the info there or you can get
One at tax collectors office when there and yes just say at the kiosk when you pay and you will be directed to special parking On Emerald Island I'm not sure where the nearest tax office is but there is On on the US 27 just south of the i4jct 55 always much quieter i.e. No long line to wait in You need his passport the drivers passport and your badge from here
There is a fee
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
6jonesss
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
If you go n to the special needs forum there's a stickynwithnall the info there or you can get
One at tax collectors office when there and yes just say at the kiosk when you pay and you will be directed to special parking On Emerald Island I'm not sure where the nearest tax office is but there is On on the US 27 just south of the i4jct 55 always much quieter i.e. No long line to wait in You need his passport the drivers passport and your badge from here
There is a fee
Thanks a lot for that info, very helpful I'll look it up now.
6jonesss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, we were there at Christmas. Our son has a blue badge in the UK so we went to the tax office on our first day (we went to one on highway 27 in the Clermont area... we did go to the wrong tax office initially but eventually found the right one). Once we found the right place it was a pretty speedy process and we got a temporary disabled parking pass.I think it cost about $14, not totally sure if I've remembered that accurately. I can't remember what else we needed to show them apart from our blue badge but I think there's guidance online so it's worth checking out in advance, as it is also likely to tell you the best place to go in relation to where you're staying and will save you potentially showing up with missing information.
In relation to parking at DISNEY there was disabled parking in each park we visited (Animal kingdom, Epcot, MK and Hollywood Studios). We asked when we paid for parking and were directed which way to go. If I recall correctly I think we were advised to follow a blue line. We found it all to be very straightforward.
This was one thing I really worried about before we went but it worked out really easy on our first day, just make sure you check out the details before you go so that you go to the right place and have everything you need.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post

From the Orlando Tourist Information Bureau:

The Florida Department of Transportation now requires a temporary US parking badge for international visitors.
Now, instead of just using your blue UK Disabled Blue Parking Badge, you need to take it (along with your passport), a certified doctor's letter describing condition and a utility bill to one of several local vehicle licensing offices in Orlando and pay a $15 fee for a temporary US parking badge.

Do not risk receiving a very expensive parking fine.

The penalty is $250 in Orlando per infraction!
The temporary permit is good for 90 days after issue.

To find out the nearest Orange County tax office where you can visit to pay the fee and pick up your temporary blue badge, visit their website here: octaxcol/
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Go on the Special Needs board. The instruction are one there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 17, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

You can use you UK Blue badges at Disney and Universal, We just put our badges on the dash and they guided us in the direction of disabled bays, It was very easy I believe it was a blue line we followed. If you want to park in disabled bays in shopping malls and restaurants then best to apply for a temporary US parking permit, You can send of for these before you travel or go in person on your first day, The Special needs forum on here is great lots of info.
Old 16 Jun 17, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
You can get one before you travel. All details are in the Special needs Forum.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 17, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

You can prearrange the tag now so don't have to turn up at a tax office.

octaxcol/contact/

and choose the email option and they will send you the form. Fill it in, sign it and then send off the relevant documentation (scanned copied of Blue Badge and passport). Once received they will give you the date you need to ring and pay (60 days before I want to say) then you phone them and pay the $17 over the phone via a card and they post it to you. It was really simple and made life a lot easier. You have to give holiday dates and its only cover for those dates so if you arent 100% sure on the dates then make sure you put a buffer in. We applied for ours before we booked the flight home so got for a few days either side just in case.
Old 16 Jun 17, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 6jonesss View Post
Hi we have recently been awarded a blue disability badge for our son. I believe I have to apply in Orlando for the USA equivalent. Can I do this before I go? If not we are in a villa in emerald island we're from here do I go if we have to apply in person. Lastly I know in universal they have disability bays to park do they have these in Disney and seaworld and do I have to make sure I tell the attendant when paying for the car park so I am directed to the correct area to park?

Thanks sorry for all the questions.
Here you go 6jonesss - follow these instructions I emailed to my brother after they were kindly given to me by another Dibber, my brother did as below and received his badge at his UK address. I advised him to download the form, complete and scan into his puter with all other necessary docs then forward to George Woody.

Below are the instructions for a Brit to apply to Orange county... as a Non-US citizen you only need to fill in the top section and where it asks for Florida driving licence or ID card simply write NON-US.

Complete the form and return with signature and travel dates. Include a copy of your blue badge (front and back), and passport. The fee is $17.00 US Dollars [$15 + $2 card fee] that can be paid by credit card after processing your documents.

Form can be downloaded at: flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83039.pdf

After you receive a confirmation email of form/documents receipt you ring George on 001-407-254-1039 to pay.

GEORGE A.L. WOODY, ASSISTANT MANAGER, AGENCY 11, OPERATIONS CENTER... Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph

Phone: 407-254-1039 Fax: 407-254-1074

email: gwoody@octaxcol.com