Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Jul 17, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
W1zz
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by darth plagueis View Post
I have been looking into this like craxy you need to get a 4GEE Max +5 plan

double check your contract, not all max plans have the USA included
Yes it's definitely worth double checking. I upgraded to the max plan a few months back, but only recently noticed on my account it didn't mention the USA only the UK and EU. So I got onto online support chat to query this. Turned out, my plan hadn't been upgraded to the full UK and EU + 5 which was the whole purpose of the upgrade I did in May. After a few checks they came back and said that it had now been enabled (no extra cost).

It's a good job I checked, as I thought I was all set for our Florida holiday next month.

The plan advertised a few months back was listed as a 4GEE Max EU plus 5 extra destinations.

I'm on the 7gb tariff and pay £13.99 but I get a number of loyalty discounts.

On your account it should read "to use in the UK, EU and ten other countries"

Also the total 'Roaming destinations' should be 53. Looks as though they've increased the 5 additional countries to 10.

Edited at 12:30 PM.
W1zz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
W1zz. This is very much like my Wife got yesterday

18Gb of data and unlimited calls and texts on a 12 month SIM only contract for £25.

I made sure I did live chat and have kept the transcript showing we can clearly use the phone for unlimited calls from the US.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobs
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Wonder what the internet speeds would be like.

With three, is terrible, sometimes it can't even connect, constantly going manually and changing between t mobile and att.
scoobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I work for Vodafone

What the networks offer is dependent on roaming agreements they have with a network in the country you're visiting - in this case the USA.

Now that everywhere offers 4G, the 3G network is less "full" so it is cheaper to run. As such, Three are able to offer inclusive allowance roaming because it is only on 3G...plus it is throttled... plus the cheapest method to get it is with their £20 top up (might be £15). So it's relatively cheap but the service is pretty poor.

EE's max plan is good because it is 4G but it is their highest price tariff. DO NOT think you can take it out for a month then drop to a lower price plan... networks do not allow you to move up and down the tariff "ladder". You've signed a contract for that service and you can only chance in your last month. USA inclusive roaming is currently not available on SIM only deals... so only good if you take a phone with them as well. So all in all, unless you're a long serving existing customer, this option is costly

Vodafone - and i am biased - has the best offer. £5 a day for your normal UK allowance with usage alerts. For a week's trip it is worth it. Plus it is available if you just buy a 1GB 30day SIM for about £15. It is full 4G as well because it has strong agreements with the networks in the USA... no throttling or anything.

Don't get confused on EU roaming - by law, it is now your home rates to be used in europe. Many networks have promoted it like its some kind of special offer. it is not - it is law... they can't charge you more for your usage unless you go over your bundle

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17

Edited at 09:55 PM.
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

We were sold a BT family SIM this week that offers usage (roam like home) in USA, unfortunately, after transferring my number, I can no longer access network data (could not activate mobile data network) and BT seem unable to help sort it so it's back to Giffgaff and 3 SIM for hols for us. So disappointed was a good offer too.
Old 15 Jul 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyWannabe View Post
We were sold a BT family SIM this week that offers usage (roam like home) in USA, unfortunately, after transferring my number, I can no longer access network data (could not activate mobile data network) and BT seem unable to help sort it so it's back to Giffgaff and 3 SIM for hols for us. So disappointed was a good offer too.
Reset your phones network settings
Get them resent from the BT website or google what they are to add manually.

Sadly, this is what happens when a massive corporation buys another massive corporation and try and get the two to work together. BTs customer service scores have fallen through the floor since they bought EE because they're so mashed trying use EEs systems as well as they're own

May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
Reset your phones network settings
Get them resent from the BT website or google what they are to add manually.

Sadly, this is what happens when a massive corporation buys another massive corporation and try and get the two to work together. BTs customer service scores have fallen through the floor since they bought EE because they're so mashed trying use EEs systems as well as they're own
Thank you, but we have spent 5 hours today trying all of that, including a complete reset on my phone, apparently I need to reset my APN settings, but my iPhone 6s doesn't seem to have anywhere to do that. Only other option was to go to Apple store, but don't really want a 35 mile trip this weekend.

Thanks for trying to help though.
Old 15 Jul 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyWannabe View Post
Thank you, but we have spent 5 hours today trying all of that, including a complete reset on my phone, apparently I need to reset my APN settings, but my iPhone 6s doesn't seem to have anywhere to do that. Only other option was to go to Apple store, but don't really want a 35 mile trip this weekend.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Resetting network settings should wipe the APN
I'm presuming this is what you've been following

btbusiness.custhelp/app/.../23008/c/5193/

Apple won't help too much as it is a network thing, not a software/hardware issue...try calling them rather than visiting though. They'll talk you through the process and may advise similar to the above webpage

May14, Sep15... Mar17
Old 15 Jul 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

we have vodafone at work, can't wait to get away from them. Customer service has gone from ok to terrible in the last few years and it's all too common for them to say one thing on the phone and then when you end up getting an almost incomprehensible bill, it says something completely different. Good luck getting them to change it too :/ Sometimes I get through to scotland I THINK and they're fine but the remainder sounds outsourced.

We've been through all the carriers and as a tech company our supplier check sheet reads:-
Vodafone - inconsistent, outages, poor coverage, bad customer service, nothing special tariff wise. Cheaper than EE usually, no visual voicemail on iphone. roaming rates in us not the best, faffing with daily addons etc.

o2 - good customer service, staff report good coverage, iphone HD calling and visual voicemail, middle of the range prices, roaming offers not the best in US similar to vodafone, easy to split handset cost v tariff.

three - worst coverage, slowest data rates, no iphone visual voicemail, prices ok for larger data packages, roaming "feel at home" more countries than others but throttled 3g has got slower and slower.

EE - good coverage, best 4G coverage, fast data, iphone hd calling + visual voicemail, roaming not as many countries as three but faster 4g where they are, just included USA recently. Customer service variable but very easy to get loyalty discounts of 50% off.

The last sim only deal we got from EE was £19.99 for 30GB data unlimited text/unlimited talk *BUT* that was after a couple of loyalty discounts which they threw in when we mentioned going to three instead.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
I work for Vodafone

What the networks offer is dependent on roaming agreements they have with a network in the country you're visiting - in this case the USA.

Now that everywhere offers 4G, the 3G network is less "full" so it is cheaper to run. As such, Three are able to offer inclusive allowance roaming because it is only on 3G...plus it is throttled... plus the cheapest method to get it is with their £20 top up (might be £15). So it's relatively cheap but the service is pretty poor.

EE's max plan is good because it is 4G but it is their highest price tariff. DO NOT think you can take it out for a month then drop to a lower price plan... networks do not allow you to move up and down the tariff "ladder". You've signed a contract for that service and you can only chance in your last month. USA inclusive roaming is currently not available on SIM only deals... so only good if you take a phone with them as well. So all in all, unless you're a long serving existing customer, this option is costly

Vodafone - and i am biased - has the best offer. £5 a day for your normal UK allowance with usage alerts. For a week's trip it is worth it. Plus it is available if you just buy a 1GB 30day SIM for about £15. It is full 4G as well because it has strong agreements with the networks in the USA... no throttling or anything.

Don't get confused on EU roaming - by law, it is now your home rates to be used in europe. Many networks have promoted it like its some kind of special offer. it is not - it is law... they can't charge you more for your usage unless you go over your bundle

I take issue on you saying Three service is poor as I have used it extensively over the last few years in USA with zero issues- you just have to make sure it is on T-mobile not the default ATT. The Data is slightly slower than 4G but is far from poop

Why would I want to spend £5 a day for the same service that I get for free, (on a 14 day holiday that's 70 quid) I pay Three £21 a month for all I can eat data and 400 mins and I can take that abroad- to me that's way better than Vodafone and their very public appalling customer service and billing issue- something that has been going on for over 2 years.

Sorry I would never go with Vodafone - on almost all fronts they are the most expensive and have zero customer care to back them up.