Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Aug 17, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Noddy22
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We bought at Kidani a number of years ago. As I had already done all the research our salesperson just literally took us on a complete tour of Kidani including all the facilities. He was extremely laid back with no pressure whatsoever. We bought there and then and the process was really easy.
As Mr Morrow says, do the maths though as direct is expensive, but bear in mind you won't be able to get the perks if you buy resale.

blog.touringplans/2016/04...rect-new-math/
Noddy22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Don't buy then and there. You'll almost certainly want to. Walk away, come home and research resale. You may decide resale is not for you in which case you can still buy direct (over the phone). You lose nothing in walking away

But, You can save absolutely massive amounts of money buying resale, and the "perks" you won't get are relatively few.
Quite a few people have mentioned resale. I guess I'll get the gist of how everything works and then be able to take the time to decide what's best with my husband.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I mentioned this the other day. Say for example you determine that you want 200 Points. My advice is buy 175 resale and some time later add on 25 via Disney to bring into play all the perks you miss out on via resale.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I mentioned this the other day. Say for example you determine that you want 200 Points. My advice is buy 175 resale and some time later add on 25 via Disney to bring into play all the perks you miss out on via resale.
Have heard this is what a lot of Dibbers do. Definitely worth considering.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We bought into the Boardwalk in 2000 and our sales person wouldn't let us sign there and then and made us go away to think about! 😀 We went for an icecream and then went back and signed but they were really relaxed about it and there was no hard sell at all. We were lucky as the exchange rate at the time was nearly $2 to £. They threw in an extra 100 for our first year too so 8 of us were able to go back in a 2 bed the following year. At the time there wasn't really a resale market but if we were looking now we would consider it.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Worth also noting that they will only be actively selling Copper Creek & the Poly & IMO at $175/point that is way too much. If for instance you are thinking of AKV then there is good savings to be had down the resale route as Direct you would be looking at approx. $165 but would also have to wait for a contract to come available or around the $100 mark resale. Wdw.info has a dvc thread that details what prices are passing ROFR at the minute & is a good starting point for number crunching.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank for the tips guys!
Old 8 Aug 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post

this

the savings will be well worth it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Thank for the tips guys!
When will you generally travel and what type of room would you want to stay in-store studio, 1 bed etc? Has a big bearing on where to buy. I would second DO NOT be tempted to buy on the tour. 185 a point now direct. I picked up my Sarasota (which allows me to stop everywhere as I go in a 1 bed, off DVC peak season - which is very different to park peak season- hence my question) for 75 a point in Feb, with previous year's points banked. I immediately rented the previous year's points (had money in my account day I put up for rent) bringing buy in cost down to $62 a point, with some of the lowest dues and a 2054 end date. Compare that to Copper Creek, which is $185 a point with dues at circa $2 a point more EVERY year (adds up). I'd never have bought new as it is now not financially justifiable, but mine certainly was. Note resale prices have risen around 10-15% in the last 6 months (which means I could sell at no loss having cashed in on a rental and booked 2, 2017 stays, not the case of you need to sell not long after buying direct). The prices generally drop again (albeit always higher than year before) around Christmas and New Year when people are not vacationing and annual dues are due, so spend that time researching etc until then ready to then put in an offer.
There is actually no need to go on a tour. You can find much more independent and detailed info from places like dibb, dvcinfo, dvcnews, etc and see all rooms in YouTube videos. I've never had a tour and have no interest in one or engaging with 'guides' ( aka timeshare sales people on commission).
Oh, and don't fall for any smoke and mirrors about 'membership extras' not being given to resale buyers. These are marketing items not part of any DVC contract but paid for by Disney Vacation Development (DVD) who build and sell the new timeshare. Essentially they give a few minor discounts, have some free membership nights and have a temporary Epcot lounge. None of this is part of the DVC contract and as I say is actually marketing spend by DVD to sell more new timeshares. It can be taken away at any time. As a UK buyer you are unlikely to miss any of these- the events are normally announced with limited notice and book immediately. You'd have to be very lucky to be there at the time. The discounts in merchandise and some restaurants are usually 10%, wouldn't make up for the £10000 you'd save on a typical resale contract.
Most direct DVC members don't have a clue that the event they are attending or tge DVC lounge at Epcot isn't even supplied by DVC and is in effect a giant marketing exercise which is exactly what it is.
The only discount worth having if you'd actually buy it is an annual pass discount. However as Tom says you can just buy a small 25 point direct add on AFTER you've bought resale in order to get these benefits if you really need them.
The final (and only - despite what you may be told to get you to buy direct, they would legally struggle to take anything else away or restrict resale points in any further way) restriction on resale is more smoke and mirrors- the ability to use the points to book cruises, the concierge collection etc (note resale DO get RCI exchange as the main exchange programme IS part of the contract). These extra exchanges are again not part of the contract, but side deals, again sorted out by DVD for marketing new timeshares. That is why they are generally appalling use of points, as really aside from offering them for marketing to new buyers, DVD really have little interest in people booking them. A detailed analysis I have seen shows that generally the points on one of these exchanges are valued in the region of $7-$8 per point compared to cash value of the exchange. You will be generally better off renting your points and paying cash As brokers will give you at least $13 a point (and rising) and demand for rental outstrips supply so your points generally rent within days if not hours. Brokers like David's will now even rent your points then sort the cruise at a much better cost and throw in on-board credit in one transaction now.
Good luck.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry to hijack the thread, but, if you do this can you use the 175 points you buy resale to book at places like Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Hong Kong, Disneyland Tokyo, etc. or do you only have the 25 points off Disney to do that?
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List