General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 13 Aug 17, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Flights, Fajitas and Fiestas - San Antonio July 2017 - Day 2

Flights, Fajitas and Fiestas

Cast:

Alison – early fifties, with wanderlust (but insists on travelling in comfort and style)
Me – Shaun, mid fifties, also with wanderlust (used to be happy to travel anyhow but the comfort and style option is more appealing now!)

Link to trip report index:

Here

Monday 17th July

Manchester to Philadelphia

We were up at about 7 and quickly showered and packed ready to go. We decided not to take the hotel’s breakfast option as we knew we’d eat in the Lounge at the airport, even though it wouldn’t have the full range of breakfast options that we are used to.

We headed downstairs at about 8.10 ready to pick up the prebooked shuttle to the Terminal. Obviously it’s a really popular time so the hotel were using a local taxi firm to supplement their own mini vans and as a people mover taxi was waiting, we were directed to use that so we hopped in and off we went for the few minutes’ drive to the terminal. We chatted to the driver who asked about where we going and after we explained our route he was a bit dumbfounded.

Although we had our boarding passes already (as we’d checked in online), we knew we’d need to do a passport check as it was a US flight, so we headed to the American Airlines priority check in desk. I was questioned about my job, my base of work, my line manager’s name, and Alison was questioned about the purpose and duration of the trip, where we were staying and how long for.(Alison here: Good job it was that way round as he wouldn’t have remembered! )

Obviously we passed the test as we were given paper boarding passes and sent on our way.

Airport security was fine even though the Fast Track line was longer than the normal line but hey ho. We made our way to the lounge which was a funny old place, a big circular room overlooking the departure area and shops in the centre.

The BA lounge used about two thirds’ of the circle with another lounge having the other part. There were good views over the runway although those seats were quite popular.

We grabbed a table and settled down to enjoy a lightish breakfast of porridge and pastries with coffee and juice. We wandered downstairs slightly earlier than the advertised boarding time of 10am to find that there was a bit of a delay, but nothing too major. Eventually we were called for boarding – I always thought that American Airlines were strict about their boarding process. Basically everyone has a boarding group on their pass and AA call people up according to that number – it depends on the cabin you are flying in, or the status you have with the airline or the airline alliance.

Anyway, the gate agent promptly called groups 1-4 all together so there was a real scrum!

However we safely got on board and hand luggage stowed away we settled in our very comfortable seats. It was our first time in AA business class and it was great – we’d gone for the single seats by the window (so we didn’t have to talk to each other!)

and were given a menu:

A nice Cole Hahn amenity kit:

and Bose headphones:

We had a glass of bubbly:

...and waited whilst everyone else boarded then we waited….and waited….and waited. A slight delay was announced initially which kept increasing but then we were told the aircraft had a technical problem and needed something replacing– bother!

We were assured that the replacement part had been secured and the technicians were in the process of installing the new part although it would take some time.

Overall we had a 2 hour and 40 minute delay while things were fixed and a new take off slot was arranged. During this time the flight attendants were quite efficient but a bit cold and not very engaging (compared to our usual BA flights).

The menu looked good (we’d pre ordered our main course but had forgotten what we’d ordered so it would be a nice surprise!)

Finally we pushed back and started taxiing towards to runway – as we both had window seats for a change we had a lovely view:

After take off we were offered drinks – so both decided on our usual gin and tonic, followed by lunch, which was very good. It was hummus to start with a lovely side salad

then I had steak and Alison had guinea hen:

Then we both had delicious hand made sundaes. I think these are an American Airlines speciality – you get to choose which toppings you want, there was hot fudge, caramel, chocolate, mixed fruits and crushed pecans. Amazing!

I might have had some red wine to accompany the meal and a port or two! Alison tells me she just had Dr Pepper but I’m not convinced!

We watched films (Alison – Avatar and Inception, me – Batman Lego movie, what a big kid!) and then dozed a bit. The cabin crew came round often to offer drinks or snacks – I didn’t have anything else but Alison had tea and cookies and a banana.

Finally a short while out of Philadelphia, we had a snack of a BBQ beef toasted sandwich which was lovely.

Overall, we were really quite impressed with the food onboard.
There was wifi available (at a cost, other than connecting to the AA website) but we didn’t bother. Alison used the AA website as we knew we’d miss our connection on to Phoenix, but we were proactively rebooked onto a later flight. Alison then sorted our seats but there wasn’t much choice left (although we were just grateful to be rebooked!)

Shortly before arriving at Philadelphia, the crew announced that there were a lot of people onboard who had connecting flights that they’d missed, and so AA had set up a desk at the airport with staff to handover our new boarding passes which was a useful touch.

We landed at 5.15 and headed over to immigration, which had massive queues. Luckily we have Global Entry so we headed to the GE kiosks, where we answered some questions on screen and then scanned our passports in. I got through very quickly, but Alison’s didn’t work for some reason. She tried another machine but no luck.

After a couple of attempts she gave up and asked one of the staff nearby what to do. Luckily she was ushered to the front of the Flight Crew lane and did the usual manual entry, after completing a customs form. It did mean we had to go through separate customs queues but they weren’t too long.

Problems over so we made our way to the Admirals Lounge and received our complimentary drinks vouchers. The lounge was quite big with plenty of space to move around, a nice touch was the fresh, made-to-order guacamole. A lady manned the stall and you had the following ingredients to choose from: -
• avocado
• tomatoes
• onions
• jalapeńo
• lime
• garlic
• cilantro
• salsa
• corn salsa
• Salt and Pepper

We relaxed for a while, charged our devices and read.

One nice touch is that coffee machine had a selection of syrups on offer as well – Alison had several different flavoured latte’s – I warned that the caffeine would keep her awake; little did I know that it would have been a good idea if I’d had some too!

Philadelphia to Phoenix

So, we knew what time the next flight was leaving (6pm, but it was delayed until 7.40)so we took a slow wander down to the gate at the time boarding was due to start – 7pm.. There were quite a few people waiting for the flight but all the gates were quite busy it seemed.

We waited and waited.

The departure time clock counted down a number of times, only to be reset to a future time with audible groans from everyone waiting patiently. If we’d known we could have spent more time back in the lounge.

We passed the time chatting to a nice lady from Arizona (?) about the various delays we were experiencing, and she told us about her trip around Europe that she was on her way home from.

Finally we were told that the flight crew had been delayed on their way in but had landed at another terminal and would be a short while. I said that we’d all club together for an Uber to get them here quicker!

Several times we saw crew walk nearby and then our hopes were dashed as they walked on by to another gate.

At one point the gate agent announced that the incoming flight crew had been taken away from our flight and assigned to another one instead and that they weren‘t sure what was happening to our flight.

A while later, they retracted that and said that we had the crew back again!

After a while American Airlines wheeled in a tall trolley with various crisps, snacks and bottles of water to keep us going and despite the initial rush there was plenty to go around.

Time continued to pass with no show but eventually the crew turned up to much cheering and soon we were able to board (around 10pm).

Finally we took off around an hour later – at last!

We were both so tired by this stage that we sank gratefully into our seats and flopped. Well, I did – I don’t remember too much about the flight at all! Alison had some food and drink (hot nuts, gin and tonic then a light salad, with a plate of cold meats) and then dozed as well.

We landed at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport at 00:15 (8.15am UK time!) in the darkness and made our way through the security checks without any issues and headed through to the exit. I took a visit to the restrooms while Alison found a public phone to ring the hotel to send a courtesy bus for us. We didn’t have too long to wait (between 5 and 10 minutes) before our shuttle bus arrived and whisked us to our hotel for the night. I’m really glad that Alison had suggested factoring in an overnight stay.

We were staying at the Country Inn and Suites which wasn’t plush but was fine for what it was – an airport area hotel, with a swimming pool and free breakfast! Unfortunately we wouldn’t have time for a swim as we were so late.

We checked in (and were given room 210 for the record!), booked the return shuttle for the morning, and grabbed a couple of complimentary Otis Spunkmeyer cookies and some coffees before heading up to the room.

The room was comfortable enough and fine for just the one night’s stay. We took some photos of the room, before grabbing a quick shower each and then falling gratefully into bed.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 12:50 AM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a day of delays! At least you got where you were meant to ve eventually!

The food looks lovely - much better than my usual cattle class!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Food looks lovely, shame about all the delays, I bet you were beyond shattered!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

I feel shattered just reading this! The steak and sundae look amazing!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List