Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 13 Aug 17, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Das eligibility and how it works?

It's a long time til we go back to wdw but planning things now.

Dh has a blue badge but doesn't have wheelchair or walking aids. He can walk a reasonable distance but his disability has a cumulative effect if every day he's walking. We went to wdw this year and he decided he'd just get on with things but I think this was probably a mistake as he missed out on a few days due to overdoing it

What does a das card do? Is it worth him asking for one, he has back hip and leg problems. He's not into major thrill rides anyway but if I can make things easier for him next time it would be good.

We're also going to dlp next year, I've posted on the dlp board but if anyone can give any insight into this that would be great.

Thank you so much.
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Th Das pass if for those that cant queue in a normal queue not for those with mobility problems. It seems alot of people with mobility problems are advised to hire a wheelchair if they cannot stand in line. I think DAS is for those who cant queue because of Autism or may have to leave the queue quickly due to a condition. Some of the wheelchair lines are quicker than normal lines anyway. All you can do is ask when you get there and explain the reasons.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
disneyparks.disney.go/bl...rd-fact-sheet/
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

I think the difficulty is that the actual distance you have to walk along a queue line can be quite great and standing for such a prolonged period of time can really make pain worse. However I know he won't want to use a scooter or wheelchair.

Just wondered if there are any other blue badge holders who have been in a similar situation.
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa71
Earning My Ears

My dh is in the same position as yours, he has a pre existing heart condition which means that he can't walk great distances and therefore qualifies for BB. He was extremely reluctant to get a wheelchair the first time we went after getting ill but he did it and it just made for a nicer holiday for all of us and after the first day he was fine and actually giving his orders as to which direction to go. (quite funny)

We never even considered the DAS thing and still wouldn't now, being in a wheelchair doesn't get you on the rides any quicker, you just go in the regular que, so if this is something that will stress him out or cause any anxiety then i would definitely go for the DAS.

If you can persuade him to hire a wheelchair it will make life so much easier and definitely stress free for all.

Good luck
lisa71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks. That's encouraging to hear.

I think I'm going to just ensure we go really steady with rest days and half days in the parks. If he starts to get in too much pain I might be able to convince him about mobility scooter but when I mentioned it he was flat no and also no to discussing any sort of access pass either in wdw or dlp. I have to respect his wishes I guess!
Old 25 Sep 17, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa71
Earning My Ears

Men can be so stubborn at times.

I would definitely try to gently persuade, it'll make his experience so much more relaxing. We do have quite a few rest days though but we have been to orlando quite a few times over the last 20 years. We tend to do 1 or 2 Park days and then have a water park day so dh can just chill and relax.
lisa71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by lisa71 View Post
Men can be so stubborn at times.

I would definitely try to gently persuade, it'll make his experience so much more relaxing. We do have quite a few rest days though but we have been to orlando quite a few times over the last 20 years. We tend to do 1 or 2 Park days and then have a water park day so dh can just chill and relax.
Lol I was going to say the same thing! (About the stubbornness)

Poor bloke was injured 20 years ago and has had to fight every step to lead as normal a life as possible. They didn't think he'd walk again and it was his bloody mindedness that got him walking unaided again. I think the last thing he wants is to need help. He did admit that he wants to do as much travelling as he can in case he's not as able to as he gets older.

Can be very hard supporting someone in their situation. I will see if I can find out info on things that could be used to help him though and if I can see he's really not coping at least I'll know what to do.

We used fastpasses well this year and didn't walk through the main queue line much at all which helped. I think we just tried to do too much with not enough rest days, won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for your advice.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay