Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Aug 17, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mini Review - OKW August

Was going to do a highs and lows, but would be to one sided (and I don't like coasters…)…so here is a mini review, findings and my own over opinionated opinions.

So we grabbed a BA Fly Drive deals last September for the first 2 weeks in August 2017. The key facts were it was £1800 for (in effect as kids are 14 and 16)) 4 adults - so by my reckoning £500 for car hire and £325 flights per person (Heathrow to Miami).

We flew out in American Airways and back with BA. AA knocked socks off BA - full sized drinks can and plenty of them, large and lovely to use IFE, comfy space and good staff. BA plan seemed tired, drinks were tiny cans and we got 1! But this may be biased by the fact the BA flight was the dreaded return flight…..

Landing at Miami and customs and all that was pips. Happy do that again is savings this good. We booked overnight hotel in near airport both ways. This saved us about £500 v's staying those nights at Disney (which would not have been full days anyway due to the drive).

We stayed at Crown Plazza close to airport on arrival. Nice - only downer was they wanted $20 per person for breakfast! We drove up via US27 (Alligator Alley - yes we saw one!) and had breakie at the lovely Lake Placid (Golden Corrall - perfect for long travel day). Easy drive with some good sights.

Coming back we stayed at Holiday Inn Express near Sawgrass Mills Mall - free breakfast - quite nice - similar to this country, but with face cinnamon buns! We drove back on the Florida Turnpike. Not much quicker, and more congested than the US27. But it was night, so speed was more important (allowed us to stay late in Epcot).

In-between this we had 12 nights at OKW. 3rd stay and it feels like home. We ate twice at the quick service. Plenty good enough, and snacked at our local pool (Old Turtle Pond) or the main pool. On DDP and with so many places to eat / snack, lack of food option really isn't an issue for us. However we did find the busses not as quick getting us to the parks this year - I think party to the new screens showing when the bus is due to arrive - never right, and just leaves you disappointed, where as pre this you just waited and chatted. Managing expectations!

Food - we really were struggling with the amount of food on the DDP! We did not make most of snack credits - it was either an ice-cream, or mostly drinks - on one hand this is not the best value, but keeping everyone hydrated is more important, and also you can go off Goofy Candy snacks 3 months after you have returned! Disney did excellent vegi options - they just seemed to get better (TS that tis - QS much more limited….but offsite is a nightmare!).

We ate at:

Tusker House - breakfast really good, but lunch was poor - food bland, and we were stuck in noise side room with lots of really young kids and characters lately bypass us. Will stick to breakfast in future.

Crystal Palace - lovely buffet, good character interaction, and chilled lunch in the park.

California Grill - wow - food, rooftop fireworks - well worth 2 TS credits.

Garden Grill - great fun servers and character interaction - food a let down - too much, bland, and a random plate of chips and mac and cheese appeared halfway though - just made us gag! Worth doing once for the experience.

Ohanas - 3rd visit, 3rd fabulous meal. Good fun too.

Scifi diner - it's a burger joint with fab milkshakes and a unique environment. Ticked our boxes.

Trails End - just have the chicken, mash and gravy, followed by banana bread pudding (but steal the caramel source from next to the apple cobbler). Simplicity a it's best.

Cape Cafe May - lovely setting and slightly different buffet. Strong fishy smell may put some!

RFC (AK) - top meal (steaks - of course our server insisted we had the most expensive ones!) - lovely location, and good server. Never had a bad meal / experience at wither RFC at Disney.

Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Package) - good food, lovely sauces, bonus of starter.

Parks - we didn't find them too busy at all - we got all the FP's we wanted at 60 days (inc FOP x 2) - and we really enjoyed the whole Disney park experience start to finish. We did a park everyday, but did take a mid-day break to hit the pool most days. AK is now a full day park, and HS is only a half day park. We spent most of our time at MK. EP is nice and relaxing - and was the quietest park of all, even at fireworks - so easy to get good views now

New Rides:

Navi River - disappointing…I guess compared to it's much more attractive big sister….

FOP - stunning, sensational, and a bit much…us parents let our kids have our 2nd fast passes, so they got to ride it 3 times. hey enjoyed it so much, seemed wasteful as I shut my eyes for about a third of it as it was so intense!

Frozen (Epcot) - I really enjoyed this - dipole being told it had a very small drop! But it was just within my limits (prob slightly smaller the POC?). Better than Navi River Journey IMO….

Mission Space - the easy version is really neat - if a bit fast in what you now get to see (or not see). Nice tweak.

Soarin - great upgrade - found a bit intense first ride, 2nd time, managed to keep my eyes open for whole ride! (I think FOP would have took many rides for that to happen!).

Weather - between 30% and 60% showers every day - we got caught in 3/4. longest was 45 mins. Mostly it was 20 min down pour followed by nice refreshing drizzle. Ponchos not required.

Other stuff:

My son did the Seeds tour at Epcot - terrific value, but you do have to have an interest!

Meeting friends - we meet two other families, and this was really nice - it is a worry you might impinge on their holiday, but it worked really well and nice to have some adult conversations (and drinks!) .

Shopping - best finds were near deserted LBV Outlets - £10 for Converse! Not much to be had in the Premium outlets - £8 t-shirt in TH about as good as it got.

DVD tour - I signed up for this to get the $100 gift card. It was 30 mins at Sarasota Springs! With free coffee, pastries, ice cream and 3 anytime fast passes for all my family (each)! Time well spend. I was pretty clear from the start is was not in my immediate thinking to purchase (it' in my if I win the lottery thinking tbh), so that may have sped things along!

The future…we will be back! We have Virgin airmails burning a whole in our pockets…son 1 didn't come this time, and son 2 want's to stay at home next year too, meaning it will just be the 3 of us…..the flip side is the state we found the house in…..! Bleach has been purchased.

Hope these is some useful info for someone in there. Anything else just ask. Others do the reports better than me, just thought I'd note down my findings as others have been so useful to me.

Right, how do I get through the next 12 months….well I guess its only month till flights are available……maybe we should unpack first….or not!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Great report - really helpful. I'm a real wimp on rides. Last time I managed 7 dwarves and Test Track. I've never plucked up the courage to do anything else (soarin, splash mountain). 7 dwarves was a bit much! I'd love to have a go at FOP but I'm just not sure if it would make me feel sick!
Great price for the flights! How long is the drive from Miami?! X
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

It's about 3.5 to 4 hrs from Miami. In past we have stopped at Vero beach for lunch which is fab.

My wife hates simulators, they make her sick and I hate coasters (drops), but we were both ok on FOP. Shutting my eyes at key points made it fine for me, and my wife didn't feel sick like she does after StR Tours. Although she did swear at one point! In Disney too!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Great review. Really useful.

We really enjoyed chatting & drinking with you too!

Frozen is "a small drop!"

Until the next time.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Great review. Really useful.

We really enjoyed chatting & drinking with you too!

Frozen is "a small drop!"

Until the next time.
Thanks.

I know that, you know that, but my chicken bone thinks Frozen is Splash Mountain. X10. Will send you the ride pic...
Old 20 Aug 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks I now have option number 999 for 2019... God knows how that trip will come together!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie1981
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Enjoyed your report,Thanks for posting 😁

HOLIDAY INN 2007
GRANDE VILLAS LBV 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019
WINDSOR HILLS 2018
ROSEN INN POINTE MARCH, OCT 2023
minnie1981 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by minnie1981 View Post
Enjoyed your report,Thanks for posting 😁
Cool, thank for reading everyone!