Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 15 Feb 13, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Disabled Parking

This thread has been automatically created, because the original thread had over 500 posts.

The original thread was located HERE.

The first post was...

UK Blue badges are no longer accepted for parking in disabled bays in Florida. There is no debate needed - if you wish to comply with the law as it stands you must have a valid US temporary disabled parking tag.

The tag looks like this and should hang from the rear view mirror when you are parked

Apply by email

send an email to one of the following:

Samantha at sjewell@osceola.org
Holly at hmccommon@osceola.org
Sheryl at srivera@osceola.org

Osceola County Tax Collector
Tel: (407) 742-3879
Fax: (407) 892-8076

with your travel dates, the name and address of the person with the entitlement and attach scanned copies of their blue badge (both sides) and their passport details. You will get a reply asking you to call to make the $15 fee payment plus a $2 processing fee by credit card. (They do not accept Visa).
Please do not email your credit card details as email correspondence is public record in Florida.
They will confirm the date your tag will be processed and sent out taking account of your travel dates, it should take 5-8 days to arrive by mail.

Apply in person
This can be applied for in person at any of the issuing Tax Collectors offices on production of the UK blue badge (they will make copies of your documents to hold on file), photo ID and ID bearing the applicant's home address (note UK passports do not include address information so you will need another form of ID such as a drivers licence or utility bill to confirm this) and a $15 fee which can be cash, travellers cheque or credit card.

You can find the nearest office for your county below and tags are valid in all counties in the state of Florida.
Orange County
Seminole County (includes one near Sanford airport)
Osceola County
Office hours are 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.

Apply by mail
Thanks to SimonV for this info and his hard work in clarifying the regulations with the authorities in Orlando
British visitors CAN now apply, officially and properly, in advance, by mail for the temporary disabled parking permit.

The Osceola CVB have realised it was a confusing situation and, as they are a government body like the local tax office, have liaised directly with their head tax office to authorise written requests, that will then send the necessary permit back by return mail.

It ideally needs to be sent by certified mail (i.e. so that someone signs for it on receipt at the tax office), and it must include a money order for $15 (or credit card details - not cash - see below), a copy (both sides) of your UK blue disabled badge, and a copy of your personal details in your passport (the last pages). But, once you have that done, put them all in an envelope

1) Copy of your UK disabled badge (both sides)
2) Copy of your photo ID from your passport
3) Money order for $15 payable to Osceola County Tax Collector

And send it to:

Tag Department
Osceola Tax Collector
2501 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
Kissimmee
Florida 34744
USA

The phone number there is 407 742 4000 and fax 407 742 3995.

You should allow for at least 4 weeks for the process to be completed.
Here is the official document stating the regulations and requirements:

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY PARKING PERMIT BY A CITIZEN OF ANOTHER COUNTRY:
Administratively, a temporary disabled parking permit may be issued to a citizen of another country who is here in a visitor status. The following must be verified:
• A copy of the out-of-country parking permit. If the permit has two sides, copy both sides.
• Visually see a passport or comparable identification to verify ownership of the out-of country parking permit. A Florida driver license or ID card is not required.

NOTE: One valid temporary parking permit may be issued for up to 6 months but 90 days is usual. The fee is $15.

PS: Here is some additional info supplied by the Osceola County CVB:

1) The Osceola Tax Collector pays the postage fee for the mailing from the US to the UK. UK applicants do not have to provide an extra fee for postage.
2) They suggest to get the application in 4 weeks prior to the trip. The office has a 1-2 day turnaround on the applications but they said to allow for the extra time just in case.
3) They require a U.S. money order for $15 made to the Osceola County Tax Collector. Applicants can pay by credit card. They ask that applicants provide name on the credit card, credit card number, and expiration date. There is an additional $2 fee charged for applicants using their credit cards.
* PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH * with postal applications
Also the tax office no longer accept payment by Visa cards, you will need to have another form of credit card.

The tag is valid for 90 days from date of issue. If you apply in advance they will hold your details and process the application so your tag is delivered in time for your arrival in Florida. If you need to renew your permit within 12 months from the date it was first issued, this can be done free of charge by post, email, fax or in person.

Applications arrive in 5-8 days by post. You will receive two registrations with your permit. This is to allow one registration to be kept inside the car that you will mostly use. The other is for the disabled person to hold, in case they are asked for verification. The second registration also allows you to carry the permit from vehicle to vehicle, if needed. If you are driving with relatives or friends and the disabled person is in the vehicle, the permit may be used. Below, I have included a few links of important information. I hope this will help you with any questions you may have.

flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqdpp.html
flhsmv.gov/dmv/dosanddonts.html
flhsmv.gov/safetytips/PDFs/TripTips.pdf
Please feel free to carry on...

Edited at 01:29 PM. Reason: updating
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 13, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Just wanted to say that we have just applied for our red parking permit and were amazed at how polite, professional and helpful the staff at the Osceola County Tax Office were - so muc so I have emailed them to thank them for their help (something I am not often moved to do! ) They responded quickly and politely to all our queries and the permit took a matter of days to come after we made payment. Great service!
Old 21 Feb 13, 02:44 AM  
Link to this Post

As of the last couple of weeks they have started to accept visa again.
Old 8 Apr 13, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post

i have sent emails to them & recieved no reply at all its 2 weeks since i 1st sent email then did it a week later still nothing seems like there not interested
Old 8 Apr 13, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by grumpy668 View Post
i have sent emails to them & recieved no reply at all its 2 weeks since i 1st sent email then did it a week later still nothing seems like there not interested
welcome to the Dibb!

Which email address did you use? Was it one from the first post above? They usually reply the same day or next day it would be very unusual not to receive a prompt reply. I'd suggest re-sending your info to one of the email addresses above.
Old 8 Apr 13, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by grumpy668 View Post
That is very unusual, did you use this email? Samantha at sjewell@osceola.org

I emailed last month and had DS2 tag within a week.

Have you checked your junk folder?
Old 8 Apr 13, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post

i emailed all 3 addresses heard nothing after a week so sent repeat emails been a week still not heard from them dont know why
Old 10 Apr 13, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
gemboss
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
That is very unusual, did you use this email? Samantha at sjewell@osceola.org

I emailed Samantha and got a reply with an hour asking me to ring her with payment details. She was very helpful and said she would postpone issuing permit until nearer our trip as it is valid for 3 months and I originally enquiried 4 months prior to trip. Good to her word, she emailed back on the 3 month mark and I received the permit a few days later.
gemboss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 13, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

is this something new... we have used my wifes disabled pass for the last 7 years and had no issues at all..either for the parks or general disabled parking at malls, restaurants etc
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 13, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
is this something new... we have used my wifes disabled pass for the last 7 years and had no issues at all..either for the parks or general disabled parking at malls, restaurants etc
It became law in 2007, you've been lucky so far.