Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 Oct 16, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tinker82
Serious Dibber

DLP Half Marathon Weekend - Day 4

Sunday 25th September 2016

It was the day of the half marathon and after a much needed early night we were both wide awake and full of anticipation at 4am!

I forced my porridge down, donned my Aurora inspired outfit and we were soon on our way to the start line.

We met up with our friend along the way, took some pre-race photos then headed into our separate corals.

I made my way to the front of coral B and after a lot of waiting around finally crossed the start line just after 7.15.

I loved the first 5k through the parks and I got some fab photos (although 3 weeks on I’m still waiting for some to be uploaded!)

Once we left the parks I really struggled physically and mentally with the rest of the course. The combination of lack of sleep, strange food (resulting in a dodgy stomach) and so much walking in the parks really took its toll.

I could tell pretty early on it was going to be tough and I ended up walking a lot. There was a nasty hill around mile 6 that I wasn’t expecting as well as a long out and back stretch that seemed to drag on forever. Thankfully I had taken a gel with me as I don’t know how I would have finished without it. (Instead of giving out gels on the course there were slices of apple and cereal bars!)

The countryside was beautiful, as were the villages but I was glad to finally get back on Disney property. The last 5k took in the Disney hotels, the lake and the village before finishing behind the expo tent.

This was my 20th half marathon and definitely one of the toughest but the bling at the end made it all worthwhile.

The exit was through the expo tent and as well as official merchandise and medal engraving there were free sports massages on offer. I was struggling with my knee and in no rush to get back to the hotel so I joined the rather long queue. When I got nearer the front I found out the queue was actually to see an osteopath (which was fine by me as a 20 min appointment at home costs £40!) I ended up waiting around an hour but it was totally worth it as I got 20 mins with her and walked away feeling amazing!

Whilst I was in the queue my friends from home came to say goodbye as they were checking out and heading back to the airport. They had bought a package similar to ours and had 2 park tickets with 1 day admission left that they couldn’t use. As we didn’t need them they asked me to ask on Facebook if anyone needed them and pass them on free of charge.

I waited until I had walked back to the hotel to post on Facebook and while I was in the shower I had a response. A lady staying at the Cheyenne would like 1 of the tickets and could we meet up. I arranged to meet her on the main bridge between the 2 hotels. By this time my sister had returned and she went for her shower while I went to pass on the ticket. I stood on the bridge and waited and waited until it started to rain and finally it dawned on me that we were on different bridges! Eventually I found her and she was very grateful for the extra ticket.

With all the faffing about it was almost time for our brunch reservation at Inventions so we headed over to the Disneyland Hotel. We were a couple of minutes late but were shown straight to our table, which was in the large dining room at the far end of the buffet. The waiter brought over our champagne and after a quick sip we headed for the buffet. The food here was amazing and there was plenty of choice.

Edited at 10:04 PM.
tinker82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 16, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tinker82
Serious Dibber

While it may seem expensive at €67.99 a head, we were in the restaurant for almost 2 hours and met 10 characters!

The character interaction was great - they took their time visiting each table and took lots of photos with each guest. A few times children tried to visit characters at other tables but the waiters were very good at getting them back to their own table to wait their turn.

The theme for our brunch was Orient Express and we thought the characters all looked fab.

We were particularly excited to see Scrooge but we almost missed out as he was heading out of the room without visiting our table! We hadn’t realised that all the characters leave at 2.30 but luckily we managed to grab him for a quick selfie before he left!

While we were in the restaurant another lady had messaged me about the remaining park ticket. She was waiting for a shuttle to the parks and we arranged to meet in the Disneyland Hotel reception at 2.30. We hadn’t finished eating at this point but it was easy enough to pop downstairs in the lift. I waited a few minutes but couldn’t see her anywhere …… I did however spot Paula Radcliffe!

I apologised for interrupting her as she was with her family and asked if she’d mind having a photo. She was really lovely, didn’t mind at all & her hubby even took the photo for me!

The lady who was collecting the ticket messaged me back to apologise as her shuttle was delayed. I messaged her back saying no problem I wouldn’t have met Paula Radcliffe if it wasn’t for you! In the end she arrived at the hotel just as we were paying so it worked out perfectly!

We had been hoping to watch Dreams, but we knew our legs wouldn’t make it all the way to the hotel and back so we decided to have a few hours in the park and an early night instead.

By 3.30 we’d made our way over to Autopia which was showing a 25 minute wait. I have to say it wasn’t the best choice of ride after running 13 miles and my legs were not impressed!

We couldn’t face being chucked around on Space Mountain so we joined the 15 min queue for Pirates instead. Here we are enjoying the ride

Next up was Phantom Manor (another 15 min queue) with a brief stop in Frontierland to buy some chocolate and water.

The hotel felt like it was a million miles away so we sat in front of the castle for a while – at first watching the parade then just watching people!

Eventually we decided to make our way back to the hotel - which involved a very slow walk back through the Village and a very long rest in Starbucks on the way!

It had been such a long day, with so many miles covered that I was flat out asleep by 7.15
tinker82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 17, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma1987BTL
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Love the pic on pirates haha 😂🙈

What a long day but look at all the characters you ended up meeting! 😱 Hope we get to see that many xx
Emma1987BTL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List