Notices

Old 18 Feb 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Pre-Trip Introductions

Bonjour!

Here I am again! I have been in two minds as to whether to do a trip report on my upcoming trip to Montréal! I'll explain why in a moment!

First of all - who am I? (actually a question I often ask myself ) I am Mel, a 49 year old language training manager. I am married to J and we have two delightful children - O aged 16 and F aged 13. We live in the south of France!

I don't need to introduce the rest of the family as this is another of my solo trips!

But it isn't really a holiday...

I am actually going to Montréal to improve my French! Really! I have had French lessons here and whilst I am very communicative and understand pretty much everything (well in French French - probably less so in Quebecois! ), my accuracy can be hit and miss! The hope is that a week in Montreal will help

I am flying out in less than 5 days! The timing was to clash with the second week of the kids' February holidays (yes they get 2 weeks). Whilst it may seem to be a bizarre time to pick, it makes life far easier for J as he doesn't have to do the school runs!

I am flying to Montreal via Brussels with Brussels Airline and Air Canada. The timing of these flights (both there and back) suited me best as the connection times in Brussels are short and I have connected through there many times.

The flight on Air Canada is a 787. I have flown once before on one and don't remember that it particularly helped my jet lag! It will be interesting to see if I son't feel so bad on the return trip!

I am staying for 7 nights - flying back on Friday evening to give me the weekend to get back the 6 hour difference!

I am staying right in the heart of the downtown - near to the language school and all the main attractions!

The hotel is Le Square Philipps. It is a suite type hotel so the room has a kitchenette - not sure if I will use it but it is nice it is there! It gets great reviews on Tripadvisor for its friendliness! There is a pool but I am divided as to whether I will take a swimsuit - I guess I should!

The hotel is also conveniently located to Rue St Catherine - one of the main shopping roads! F has given me a couple of items (running tops from Old Navy and a Pink hoodie!) but I don't imagine I will do much shopping!

Eating wise, I only have an hour for lunch (though I do finish at 2pm ) so it will probably be something quick! Keen to try again Montreal bagels!

Also on my list is a vegan burger place and a salad bar we went to last time!

Many visits will probably be made Tim Horton- love their timbits (donut holes)!

Evenings - it will depend on where I am! I may try some vegan poutine (I am pescartarian but am eating more vegan as time goes on!)

Weather wise - it could be cold! Last week was -13C but apparently felt like -18C - so cold. So far it is looking warmer but snow is forecast for next weekend! I actually chose this time of year because whilst this us my fourth trip to Montreal, it is my first outside summer! I hope there is lots of snow! I have my cold weather gear so should be ok!

My plans for the weekend are to walk walk walk!

I have downloaded a walking app that I can access offline! I want to walk up Mont Royal, visit the Plateau and perhaps also Jean Talon market. I may also visit a museum or two!

Also there is a big festival on - En Lumiere. Literally minutes from the hotel. There are lots of concerts but also free activities such as a big wheel, a toboggan run and a zipline. It should be fun to spend a few hours soaking up the atmosphere!

I am not sure how much time I will have in the afternoons but I will try to fill up my time as much as possible!

So I hope you will keep me company on another of my solo adventures! Obviously I will regale you with all the new grammar I learn as well as the interesting Quebecois phrases

Seriously though, I am looking forward to it! It will be interesting to stretch my mind - though I will probably be twice as old as the other students! And probably twice as difficult to teach as I do it as a living

See you on Friday!

Edited at 09:17 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great to see you are doing a report. Looking forward to some bagels & sunsets even though they are not over the usual lakes! Enjoy😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 18 Feb 18 7:32 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I will be here as usual : have a great time

Joan
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Oh fab Mel, I'm looking forward to your trip. It sounds amazingly interesting.
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Have a great trip - Have to say Quebecois had us stumped on our trip last year. DH has done French conversation classes for years, but we struggled with even simple phrases spoken by hotel receptionists and Tim Horton staff

We loved La Malbaie and Quebec City, but were thankful to get to Montreal where people were more willing to speak English to us when they could see we were struggling.

Anyway, immersion is the best way to go and it's a lovely place you have chosen.

We are just back from Whistler BC and did not see or hear a word of French. I guess they would have given us a French restaurant menu if asked, but since most of the workers in Whistler are British and Australian, its not high priority. Even the local library only had a tiny French section. C'est last vie.
Old 20 Feb 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Great to see you are doing a report. Looking forward to some bagels & sunsets even though they are not over the usual lakes! Enjoy😊
There is snow forecast next week (here's hoping!) so maybe a new style of photos!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I will be here as usual : have a great time

Joan
It wouldn't be the same without you

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Oh fab Mel, I'm looking forward to your trip. It sounds amazingly interesting.
It should be fun and will stretch my brain a bit!

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Have a great trip - Have to say Quebecois had us stumped on our trip last year. DH has done French conversation classes for years, but we struggled with even simple phrases spoken by hotel receptionists and Tim Horton staff

We loved La Malbaie and Quebec City, but were thankful to get to Montreal where people were more willing to speak English to us when they could see we were struggling.

Anyway, immersion is the best way to go and it's a lovely place you have chosen.

We are just back from Whistler BC and did not see or hear a word of French. I guess they would have given us a French restaurant menu if asked, but since most of the workers in Whistler are British and Australian, its not high priority. Even the local library only had a tiny French section. C'est last vie.
Lucky you visiting Whistler! We went in summer a few years ago!

We love Quebec - hence a bit why I am going back. So looking forward to walking about and seeing things that I have missed on previous visits!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Looking forward to following along. Have a great trip
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Looking forward to following along. Have a great trip
Thank you! Suitcase is now packed! Just tomorrow at work!

Can't wait!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 22 Feb 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Well, work is finished. The out of office is on

I managed to check in on the BRU-YUL flight and moved my seat from a window one at the back of the plane to and aisle one further forward - strategically chosen as the window seat was taken - so vain hope the middle seat won't be a popular choice!

All packed except my iwatch charger! In 12 hours time I should be on the plane ready to take off to Brussels!

Index of my trip reports