Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Oct 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Not wanting to rain on your parade so to speak but you really do seem to be spending a lot of time driving. For a start whatever google or mapquest say about driving times you can usually double it. And you will want to stop- a lot -or what’s the point. Also if your going to Bryce Canyon you really can’t miss Zion. Its beautiful and definitely worth a couple of days. We’ve also done Yellowstone on a separate trip flying into Jackson’s Hole. It is a huge area. To see it properly you need at least a week.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
Not wanting to rain on your parade so to speak but you really do seem to be spending a lot of time driving. For a start whatever google or mapquest say about driving times you can usually double it. And you will want to stop- a lot -or what’s the point. Also if your going to Bryce Canyon you really can’t miss Zion. Its beautiful and definitely worth a couple of days. We’ve also done Yellowstone on a separate trip flying into Jackson’s Hole. It is a huge area. To see it properly you need at least a week.
I agree about driving times. We found whatever Google stated, it was actually a minimum of half a hour extra, before you started driving. So could end up being an hour or two more than you first thought. That's without taking a wrong turn, doing extra stops or hitting some sort of traffic jam, so add a few hours just incase.

Edited at 07:01 AM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

All starting to come together now. I love san Francisco but I think I would make the most of seeing one other destination as well. Also accommodation is pricy in SF if budget is a consideration. Monterrey or Yosemite would work well as the extra destination. I seem to remember you mentioning your children liked geology so Yosemite would be perfect; but Monterrey would be great too if you fancy Whale Watching. Monterrey is closer than Yosemite for your drive back to the airport.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Personally, I think 7 night in SF is too long. I would do a couple of days in Pismo Beach, Monterey or Yosemite. We are just back from both. Yosemite is stunning but have to admit to being frustrated by the volume of traffic there. It felt like too many people driving from landmark to landmark and not enough people actually taking a hike or walk to see things (we actually saw a couple of women wearing high heels!). Really enjoyed our time in Pismo Beach and Monterey too.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
All starting to come together now. I love san Francisco but I think I would make the most of seeing one other destination as well. Also accommodation is pricy in SF if budget is a consideration. Monterrey or Yosemite would work well as the extra destination. I seem to remember you mentioning your children liked geology so Yosemite would be perfect; but Monterrey would be great too if you fancy Whale Watching. Monterrey is closer than Yosemite for your drive back to the airport.
Thank you for your post - it's so difficult planning a completely different style of holiday than what we are used to do doing.

The driving does not bother us but when we plotted out the route on a map - that's when we decided not to drive back to San Fran from Yellowstone - think it would be pushing it a bit far!

How many nights would you recommend in San Francisco? Would four be enough and three at either Yosemite or Monterey. DH was thinking about Monterey as he thought we might be National Parked out? Will do some further research.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
Thank you for your post - it's so difficult planning a completely different style of holiday than what we are used to do doing.

The driving does not bother us but when we plotted out the route on a map - that's when we decided not to drive back to San Fran from Yellowstone - think it would be pushing it a bit far!

How many nights would you recommend in San Francisco? Would four be enough and three at either Yosemite or Monterey. DH was thinking about Monterey as he thought we might be National Parked out? Will do some further research.
I think 4 nights would work fine and give you a nice amount of time for the other place you choose. On our last trip we did 1 day doing Alcatraz & Fishermans Wharf area, Another covering Chinatown, the cable car museum, lombard street and Union Square, Another we did Dylan's Tour that also took us out to Muir Woods and the last we did the Presidio inc Golden Gate Bridge, Palace of Fine Arts, Lucas Film and the Walt Disney Family Museum.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

We found we could do everything we wanted too within San Francisco within 3 days easily. Would have added a fourth day if we wanted to go further afield to places like Nappa Valley, other wise it would have just been a wasted day we could have spent elsewhere.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lell View Post
Personally, I think 7 night in SF is too long. I would do a couple of days in Pismo Beach, Monterey or Yosemite. We are just back from both. Yosemite is stunning but have to admit to being frustrated by the volume of traffic there. It felt like too many people driving from landmark to landmark and not enough people actually taking a hike or walk to see things (we actually saw a couple of women wearing high heels!). Really enjoyed our time in Pismo Beach and Monterey too.
Hi,
Thank you for your advice and replying.
I haven’t looked into Pismo Beach? Is there enough to do for 3 nights please? I have two DSs who will be 19 and 17.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
I think 4 nights would work fine and give you a nice amount of time for the other place you choose. On our last trip we did 1 day doing Alcatraz & Fishermans Wharf area, Another covering Chinatown, the cable car museum, lombard street and Union Square, Another we did Dylan's Tour that also took us out to Muir Woods and the last we did the Presidio inc Golden Gate Bridge, Palace of Fine Arts, Lucas Film and the Walt Disney Family Museum.
Thank you, this really is very useful - can I ask if you had a hire car or did you use public transport please?

I think we will go for the 4 nights and decide what to do with the other 3 - only want to do two locations in the last week.

Can I ask if you swam in the sea or is it too chilly? I know it is not going to be like Miami or the Gulf Coast but I don’t know if it is even worth considering?
Old 17 Oct 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
We found we could do everything we wanted too within San Francisco within 3 days easily. Would have added a fourth day if we wanted to go further afield to places like Nappa Valley, other wise it would have just been a wasted day we could have spent elsewhere.
Thank you - much appreciated.