Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Feb 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We've had a couple of trips but the easiest was when we flew into San Diego and home from SFO, we would have preferred to have done it the other way around but we had concert tickets for Guns N'Roses in San Diego so had to start there.
I would recommend a minimum of 3 days in San Francisco as there's so much to see. Car parking is extortionate so we normally pick up a car as we leave or drop off when we arrive. 3-4 days for Disney is ideal but one of those could be the day you travel onto San Diego. We love San Diego but have only stayed for 4 days maximum dur to time constraints.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi just catching your post. ,we did similar trip July 2016 and are extending our horizons this year and visiting yellowstone. Anyway 2016 flew into LA £480 . On arrival drove to Santa Barbara
1 n Santa Barbara ,would do 2, great drive up coast with a few stops elephant seal beach at San Simeon fantastic
3 n Monterey ,aquarium and whale watching from moss landing, highlight .we are also golfers and enjoyed having a look at the various courses . Couldn't justify £1000 for 2 of us to play peeble beach even though we are both low handicap , played half moon bay on way up to San Fran $60 very good value and stunning views
4 n San Fran ,Alcatraz , cycle over bridge to sausilito and back on ferry, nappa, city electric bike tour good guide and interesting morning
3 n yosemite, stayed at el portal in a bb but it was adults only and fantastic, but if going with children the yosemite view lodge would be very good or perhaps the the big tents in valley floor. On arrival would recommend valley floor tour, great for getting your bearings and a little history. Walk up to vernal falls, drive to glacier point, exit park we drove via tioga pass 10,000 feet , awesome
4 nights vegas shows etc, has to be seen
2 n Palm Springs , some golf , mountain tramway. And home from LA
We did San Diego a few years ago with the kids and enjoyed area around la jolla, zoo and safari park.
Enjoy your planning lots to see.
Ps how many in your party
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thanks Mel will look at San Diego too as it could be handy flying home from there as we will be there last. Whereabouts did you stay in SD?
We stayed in an Airbnb in Pacific Beach. We loved this area but am aware it may not be everyone's cup of tea! The beach was fabulous!

We stayed the first night in Carlsbad - it took about 40 minutes drive if my memory serves me right! Personally, if you can stay near the beach do!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
All of those areas are lovely I love the north county coastal cities- I live in the north county myself (though not on the coast, alas- I'm not rich lol), so I'm well familiar with them. If I had to discount any of them it would be Oceanside, and that's only because it's the one that is farthest north. These communities range from 30-45 minutes from downtown San Diego. They are all located along the I-5 freeway which takes you directly into San Diego, so it's easy enough to get to and from the city...but the I-5 does get very congested during rush hours on weekdays, so you can expect longer than average commute times if you are traveling during the early morning, or late afternoon into early evenings on a weekday. All the freeways around San Diego get congested during rush hours, but the I-5 can be really bad. For me, that would be the only big drawback to staying in those areas.

Del Mar would be closest to the city, and you might want to look at La Jolla too. It's an expensive area in general but you may get lucky and find something that fits your budget. It's beautiful there and much closer to all the action. Let me know if I can be of anymore help!
Thank you so much for this, it is very helpful. Will check out La Jolla as well! Be assured I will be hounding you with many more questions in the months to come

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sizzy6 View Post
We have booked into the Monteray Bay travelodge, we have booked most of our accommodation with free cancellation, so if we see cheaper or better we can change.
That's definitely the way to go, prices can fluctuate so much

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by alexisemma31 View Post
We stayed just outside Monterey at a gorgeous little town called Pacific Grove. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a place here, just beautiful!

We stayed at Best Western Pacific Grove; the hotel room was like an apartment; it was huge!
Ooh I've just had a peek, it looks gorgeous!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
We've had a couple of trips but the easiest was when we flew into San Diego and home from SFO, we would have preferred to have done it the other way around but we had concert tickets for Guns N'Roses in San Diego so had to start there.
I would recommend a minimum of 3 days in San Francisco as there's so much to see. Car parking is extortionate so we normally pick up a car as we leave or drop off when we arrive. 3-4 days for Disney is ideal but one of those could be the day you travel onto San Diego. We love San Diego but have only stayed for 4 days maximum dur to time constraints.
Ah Guns N Roses, you lucky things!
If flight prices are within budget we will fly into SFO and will definitely add on another night to San Fran at the beginning.

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 11 Feb 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi just catching your post. ,we did similar trip July 2016 and are extending our horizons this year and visiting yellowstone. Anyway 2016 flew into LA £480 . On arrival drove to Santa Barbara
1 n Santa Barbara ,would do 2, great drive up coast with a few stops elephant seal beach at San Simeon fantastic
3 n Monterey ,aquarium and whale watching from moss landing, highlight .we are also golfers and enjoyed having a look at the various courses . Couldn't justify £1000 for 2 of us to play peeble beach even though we are both low handicap , played half moon bay on way up to San Fran $60 very good value and stunning views
4 n San Fran ,Alcatraz , cycle over bridge to sausilito and back on ferry, nappa, city electric bike tour good guide and interesting morning
3 n yosemite, stayed at el portal in a bb but it was adults only and fantastic, but if going with children the yosemite view lodge would be very good or perhaps the the big tents in valley floor. On arrival would recommend valley floor tour, great for getting your bearings and a little history. Walk up to vernal falls, drive to glacier point, exit park we drove via tioga pass 10,000 feet , awesome
4 nights vegas shows etc, has to be seen
2 n Palm Springs , some golf , mountain tramway. And home from LA
We did San Diego a few years ago with the kids and enjoyed area around la jolla, zoo and safari park.
Enjoy your planning lots to see.
Ps how many in your party
Wow lots of tips thank you, I have noted them all down
Its my partners dream to play at Pebble Beach but I nearly fell off my chair when I saw how much it was . As its his 40th in December I said to ask for money to be put towards it instead of presents, it will hopefully bring down the cost to something far less horrifying! I will tell him about Half Moon Bay as well, $60 is a bargain!
There will be 4 of us. 2 adults 2 moody teenagers who will be 16 & 14 at time of going

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 11 Feb 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

For my dates in June I looked at a number of permutations re flights and found the cheapest for us was flying Thomas Cook Manchester to San Francisco and then three weeks later back from LAX to Manchester; both direct. After 4 nights in San Francisco it is 2 nights in Yosemite, 1 in Death Valley, 6 in Las Vegas, 3 in Anaheim and rest in La Jolla.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We stayed in an Airbnb in Pacific Beach. We loved this area but am aware it may not be everyone's cup of tea! The beach was fabulous!

We stayed the first night in Carlsbad - it took about 40 minutes drive if my memory serves me right! Personally, if you can stay near the beach do!
Thank you I'll look up Pacific Beach too. Do you remember how far in advance you booked your accommodation? Yes we definitely want to stay as close to the beach as we can!

IG - alicialanesmith