Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Feb 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Garmin Satnav, toll roads and similar stuff.

A big day today, as the big day itself draws near...

I got the trusty satnav down from the attic in order to feed in all of the locations for our forthcoming trip.. then I hit a snag in that the Satnav didn't recognise California.

A plug in to the Mac revealed that it only had maps for Southern and Northeastern States, hence the snag. It was a few minutes work to replace it with South and Northwestern States and the problem was solved!

I feel sure that other Florida regulars will hit this snag, hence the post!

Next on the list, toll roads and how to approach this issue, fast lanes, cash pay toll roads, electronic payment only toll roads, time variable toll roads that charge more at peak periods, carshare lanes, it's a nightmare. I have looked at their equivalent of the Sunpass and even this is difficult. The instructions refer to putting them in special bags when a toll payment is not applicable and alternatively putting it in a box.

I have decided to use the 'avoid toll roads' option in 'settings' on my Satnav whenever the time penalty is not too great.. other than the Bay Bridge that I have to cross. It's all very confusing!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:37 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We drove around for 18 days and the only toll road we used was the Golden Gate Bridge, and that was by accident. Stupid sat-nav took us across it and then turn round and come back, for no reason. So they aren't as widespread as Florida
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

There are very few toll roads on the west coast.

National Parks have fees you need to pay (Death Valley, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead etc, Grand Canyon) if you visit them. Some other things like the Bay Bridge, 13 mile drive (Monterrey) have fees if you decide to do them.

About the only toll road I have seen (but did not need to use) is a small stretch south of LA to San Diego. You have to divert off the main freeway to use it and its really there for people to avoid the rush hour queues only.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Thankyou. That is rather reassuring.
We intend using the Pacific highway (barring the landslide bit south of Monterey) as much as possible.
When we reach LA, it is round the back, Simi Valley (Reagan library), 6 flags and Disney before onwards to San Diego coming in at Mission beach.

From what you say, if I set my Satnav to avoid tolls other than the Bay Bridge, which I regard as an attraction, I should get away scott free... other than possibly as I exit Monterey due to the Pacific highway closure.

Today, my task will be to google search the routes and print back up maps for my holiday A5 folder.

Edited at 11:05 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Grant w and 400ixl, you were bang on the money.

On all of my driving, the only compulsory toll will be going out of San Francisco on the bay bridge.

Every location on google maps did not alter at all when I took the 'toll free' option. I haven't even bothered to print the maps.

So San Francisco- Castle AFB- Monterey- Madonna Inn- Reagan Library- Valencia- Anaheim- Mission Beach- main San Diego attractions- Long beach- Santa Monica- LAX is all toll free bar the Bay Bridge.

Happy days!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Grant w and 400ixl, you were bang on the money.

On all of my driving, the only compulsory toll will be going out of San Francisco on the bay bridge.

Every location on google maps did not alter at all when I took the 'toll free' option. I haven't even bothered to print the maps.

So San Francisco- Castle AFB- Monterey- Madonna Inn- Reagan Library- Valencia- Anaheim- Mission Beach- main San Diego attractions- Long beach- Santa Monica- LAX is all toll free bar the Bay Bridge.

Happy days!
You don't pay to go out of SF on either the Bay or GG bridge, also I would recommend the car pool lanes around LA if you have at least 2 people in the car, they're like a fastpass for cars, you do need to be aware of your exits though as you have to leave the car pool lane and cross 5 or 6 lanes of slower moving traffic if your exit is on the right!
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
You don't pay to go out of SF on either the Bay or GG bridge, also I would recommend the car pool lanes around LA if you have at least 2 people in the car, they're like a fastpass for cars, you do need to be aware of your exits though as you have to leave the car pool lane and cross 5 or 6 lanes of slower moving traffic if your exit is on the right!
Thanks for that..just picked up on the exit being free on the bridges.
As for the fast lanes, I will make a judgement call on the day. I clearly remember just how fast it was in Miami on the bypass... and more worryingly the lack of separation between vehicles.

Old 16 Feb 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Also just for further clarity the toll rates vary on the Bay Bridge depending on day and time.

Remains a flat toll on Golden Gate Bridge.

Edited at 10:28 AM.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List