Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 17 Feb 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile Tell me about Florida keys please

Looking into another trip (this time with the family!). I don't want to spend all the time in Orlando.

I'm thinking either one of two options

New York, Orlando, beach for a few days near Orlando.

Or, a possible front runner. Orlando, miami, Florida keys.

I'm sure there is loads to do in the south of Florida.

I'm going with 2 kids 9&5 as well as my wife. Probably looking at October.

Other than a few photos, I don't know a great deal about the keys. Would be good to know a bit more.

Is it a good area to explore with kids, what is there to do, accommodation recommendations etc etc etc etc
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

I'm really interested in this too - thanks papasmurf

We were thinking of doing either a week touring the keys followed by a week in our favourite villa. or a week in Washington/Boston followed by a week in our favourite villa.

Probably only be me and DH on this trip.

Deb
Old 17 Feb 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Of the options you mention - for me the New York option would win by a mile.
However, the Keys are beautiful. I really dislike Miami though.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Of the options you mention - for me the New York option would win by a mile.
However, the Keys are beautiful. I really dislike Miami though.
A couple of things putting me off NY. Kids are probably a little young and it's quite expensive.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I would choose the New York option too. We try and go to NYC before Orlando whenever possible and have incorporated a beach stay at Clearwater too.

Miami was "meh" as a family location. DH and the kids (they would have been 10,11,13,15 & 18 when we went) have never asked to return yet they can't wait to revisit NYC for the 4th time and all loved Clearwater.

We haven't been to the Keys, so I can't help there. I will be interested to hear others views though.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

We LOVE the Florida Keys and are going back. Mind you, we are two adults and there is quite a lively bar scene there (not rowdy, just Duval Street has lots of bars). There are lots of water sports and things you can do (we did a snorkeling tour with Fury water adventures) but there isn't much of a beach from what we could see in the main area of Key West itself.

Few bits in my trip report here:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1044370
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have done both. When I visited NY, my boys were 12 and 9. When we visited the Keys including Key West, they were 10 and 7. We have also driven the Tamiami trail, stopping at Naples, Casperson, Venice, Anna Maria and St Pete's a few times. I guess I am able to make a relevant, balanced summary of all parts of your question, based on ours and equally importantly, our children's viewpoints.

Keys.
We flew into Orlando and then drove via KSC , the Atlantic Coast, past Miami and stayed 5 nights at the Hawks Cay resort, Duck Key, about 7 miles N of the 7 mile bridge. We drove all the way down and visited Key West before flying out of Miami.
Hawks Cay was an amazing, child friendly resort with Salt water pool and Dolphins, a kids pool and hundreds of very friendly, wild iguanas. Pricey(ish), yet good value. We had a 2 bedroom apartment and the kids loved it. Highlights were walking the old 7 mile bridge, wildlife, birds etc. Downside was that outside of Hawks Cay was rather more for adults, Key West particularly. Food was great.. everywhere. We will go back. You can fly indirect and into Key West via Atlanta with Delta economically and there pick up your hire car..., but after the kids have flown the nest. In our opinion, we would have been better served by sticking to the gulf coast beaches as a family group.

NY etc
We flew into NY and stayed 2 (should have been 3 plus), nights in the Hilton, Times Sq on the 49th floor. Jaw dropping views to both N and S aspects. N was a view up Broadway. S was a view down to One World taking in Empire State, Chrysler and other buildings. Cannot reccomend highly enough as a 1st NY hotel. Even reception was on floor 25. We did the boat trip from Westside pier 38(ish) for our photos, going round the bottom, up to the bridges then out to the Statue of Liberty. Saw Central Park, 5th Ave, Broadway, Lego shop, Twin towers site, Wall St etc etc. We went up the Rockefeller for those amazing skyscraper shots. All 4 would agree that it was mind blowing stuff!
Now the best bit. We got a train from Penn Stn (2 blocks from the Hilton) and travelled 3 fascinating hours to Washington DC before getting a taxi to our Hotel near Reagan Airport for 2 nights. We saw everything on the Mall, Pentagon, Whitehouse and museums on the Mall. Airspace was unforgettable as was the Star spangled banner. Instead of flying out of Reagan, we got a taxi and saw the Hazy Centre. That was amazing with Enola Gay, a shuttle, etc etc etc... etc. We then flew on to Orlando for 9, 3 at Tampa and home. Highlight for the kids..NY. Unbelievably, highlight for the Wife was DC. For me, Hazy Centre.

If it was simply my Wife and I, then it's a difficult call. With the four of us, it is easy.. NY (but do Washington also).

In the hypothetical world where I was planning for you.. then it would be.
3 Nights Ny
3 Nights DC travelling by train and flying via Dulles to Fl.
3 Tampa Bay Area to have 1 day each, Holmes and Casperson beaches. (Casperson for your kids to collect Sharks teeth).
Orlando and home.

Hope it helps, but only you know what will appeal best to all of your group. The two options are very different vacations.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:20 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Wow - great advice there cornishfrogboy. Thanks.

Deb
Old 17 Feb 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by grottyrotty View Post
Wow - great advice there cornishfrogboy. Thanks.

Deb
You are very welcome. Anything else at all, then personal message me as I still hold plenty of the planning detail.
Look at Casperson, whatever you do and take a sieve. Every time we go, it is a highlight and in nearby Venice there is Sharkys Grill and Pier where you can eat and watch fish including Bonnet Sharks getting caught and returned. Really unspoilt friendly 'locals' type area.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smudgester
Serious Dibber

We are doing both the Keys and NYC on our upcoming trip over Easter.

We fly into Miami (but don't spend any time there), drive straight to Key Largo (IIRC ... staying at the Seafarer) where we are staying for 4 days before driving to Orlando for a week and then flying to NYC for 4 days before flying home from JFK.

Most of it is all planned; though we still tinkering some of the Keys stuff and are still wondering whether Washington is doable in a day from NYC.

Edited at 03:12 PM.
smudgester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List