Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Feb 16, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Any idea about Ubers insurance requirements in Florida ?
I have read in UK press about drivers here not having the correct Hire and Reward insurance, so is it down to the individual driver as in the UK to make sure this is in place ?
God forbid having a accident and not being covered by there's or your Holiday insurance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 16, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mo-dave View Post
Any idea about Ubers insurance requirements in Florida ?
I have read in UK press about drivers here not having the correct Hire and Reward insurance, so is it down to the individual driver as in the UK to make sure this is in place ?
God forbid having a accident and not being covered by there's or your Holiday insurance
Yes it is up to each driver to get their own insurance. I was concerned about this last year so contacted Uber direct - who muttered something about group insurance that covers any insurance lacking in the individual drivers policies. That they did not take on any drivers that did not have correct insurance ... but I suppose nothing stopping a driver not renewing or ? .

So I then contact our travel insurance company - and said what about an accident etc using an uber car who may not have correct insurance and they said we would be covered.

So ? I cannot say I felt entirely happy about it all but ... I have also read in a few places that some mears taxi drivers dont have the correct insurance either
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 16, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the reply , as you say not totally happy with that so will probably give them a miss to be honest !
Old 11 Feb 16, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mo-dave View Post
In the UK this is the same as for any private hire taxi - there are the same checks in place.

If you were involved in an accident your insurance would cover it regardless. It would then be up to them to try to reclaim costs from the taxi.
Old 11 Feb 16, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by misterh View Post
In the UK this is the same as for any private hire taxi - there are the same checks in place.

If you were involved in an accident your insurance would cover it regardless. It would then be up to them to try to reclaim costs from the taxi.
Except Uber are not private hire taxis as such ... it is how Uber gets around the legal stuff, they supply the app etc etc. you don't pay the driver direct so you are not "legally" hiring him ... there are not the same laws in place to govern uber drivers as there are normal taxis - so I have been led to believe - could be wrong though.
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 16, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Here are two interesting links,
This one is a uber driver forum - searching the forum for varying uber related queries is quite good

uberpeople/threads/new-to...by-uber.25075/

And this is an article a few weeks old about insurance cover and trying to get the insurance requirements sorted.

orlandoweekly/Blogs/a...r-uber-drivers

At the end of the day though, even with brilliant insurance, like mears taxi drivers, nothing stopping any of them from cancelling, changing or not renewing, unless regular checks are done. Or insurance is done through Uber itself who can keep an eye on making sure insurance stays valid.

But as misterh and my insurance company says, travel insurance should cover any accident.
Old 14 Feb 16, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sinclair
Proud to wear my Ears

Sinclair's Reviews
can you pay the journey by cash ?
Old 14 Feb 16, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
No, you don't pay the drivers at all, the app takes from your CC after the journey. This is how uber works, so they re not classed as taxis for hire ... no money exchanges hands.
Old 2 Mar 16, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Hi, I have a free ride on my uber that says up to the value of £10, how does this work if you use it in orlando rather than here? I need to get it on DH's as well but may search for a better code in a few weeks.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 16, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Anyone?

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List