Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 29 May 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Whao. So this impacts even US sites. This is going to get mad.
Especially as it takes 2 seconds to get around. Just daft
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
This seems a gross over reaction? What part of GDPR says they can’t allow us to view a website?

This is a huge over reaction

But I'll put it in another words

You often come to my house, and I insist that all my guests take their shoes off

You become bound by a law that says that anyone requirng you to take your shoes off could be fined 1% of their annual income

If I still want people visiting to take their shoes off, because I care for my floors ... then you're no longer invited

makes sense ?
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
xmelaniee
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
Some companies / websites, do not wish to comply with EU GDPR rules.

so they have 2 options :

- keep access open and face massive fines (billions of dollars)

- shut down access to any resident of a country protected by GDPR

So, in layman's terms : some of those sites, like Dicks, will collect information in a way that is not authorised by GDPR. So to avoid being sued, they shut down access. Problem solved for them.
Exactly this. I work in website design and we've spent months prepping our website for GDPR.

For a lot of people it means completely overhauling their privacy policies and websites to comply and so if the EU is not a huge target demographic, there is little reason to shell out the costs.
Old 29 May 18, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Golf Galaxy have the same issue.

I'm not sure how they are using your personal data if you are just browsing a website, unless they are counting your IP address, or use some nasty tracking.
Old 29 May 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

they don't need to use nasty tracking

first of all when you browse the internet you tell so much about yourself, surfing and buying habits that it's scary when you realise it.

but, there is something else at the other end of the spectrum
it's not necesseraly the browsing that's the problem
if you browse, it's in the merchants own interest that you buy
to buy, you will need to complete a registration, including name, adress, potentially DOB, phone, and other information

what will the merchant do with those information, how will they be stored, how will they be shared, are among the questions that may infringe on GDPR

And I'll stop at that

bottomline, just viewing a site is just the tip of the iceberg.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

I had an email from Amelie arena to say they had to contact all of their european web contacts becaise of GDPR to see if they still wanted emails and if so to opt in. Nice to see some companies will do - would hate to think I miss out on concert tickets or lightning events
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Whao. So this impacts even US sites. This is going to get mad.
Especially as it takes 2 seconds to get around. Just daft
Is GDPR daft though?

Its purpose is to protect the privacy of all individuals in the EU and require any organisation which has your private data to safeguard it properly. If they all did that anyway, then there wouldn't be a need for legislation. But they don't. The fact that companies have had to change their policies to comply just shows how bad they were. The new rules apply to all private data on individuals that originates from within the EU. Anyone worldwide is then required to protect it adequately. Non-compliance can mean fines of up to 4% of annual global turnover.

If you hand over your private data whilst you are outside the EU to an organisation outside the EU, then it is not subject to GDPR, but to the local laws, which may give you less protection. If a US web site is not available in the EU, it means that company is not prepared to give you the same degree of protection to your data as the EU thinks necessary. So is it someone you want to deal with? If you use a VPN online to access a US site, then you are conning them into thinking you are in the US, so they believe they don't need to protect your data to the same extent. You gain access, but lose protection. Are you aware you are losing protection? Are you happy with that? If so, you might think GDPR is daft. If you think data protection is important, then you might think it daft to deal with companies that are not prepared to give you protection.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
they don't need to use nasty tracking

first of all when you browse the internet you tell so much about yourself, surfing and buying habits that it's scary when you realise it.

but, there is something else at the other end of the spectrum
it's not necesseraly the browsing that's the problem
if you browse, it's in the merchants own interest that you buy
to buy, you will need to complete a registration, including name, adress, potentially DOB, phone, and other information

what will the merchant do with those information, how will they be stored, how will they be shared, are among the questions that may infringe on GDPR

And I'll stop at that

bottomline, just viewing a site is just the tip of the iceberg.
Yes, I agree that when you buy that there are implications. So by all means stop me purchasing. But stopping me even looking is madness.