Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 12 May 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie131
Trying for More Ears

Buying electronics in USA for use back home

I am sorely tempted by some electronic goods which are far cheaper in the US than here!
Namely a kitchen aid mixer (although I haven't quite thought through the logistics of bringing it back with me!) or failing that a kitchen aid hand mixer.

If I get a converter plug, will they work here, is there something else I need to do or am I just dreaming?!
sophie131 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a us kitchen aid won’t work here even with an adapter.
Or it might work for a while then will break
The European ones have a completely different motor than the us ones (think they install them in Germany)
Aside from that that are very heavy
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Lakeland have some good deals on there kitchen aid mixers just now some have £100/200 off

Edited at 09:39 PM.
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You could buy a converter to step up the US voltage to the UK, which is more than double, but the American made appliance will never work as well here. It will overheat and run slow; many US electrical appliances are downright dangerous when used in Europe. Of course no doubt some Dibbers will come on here saying they have bought US electrical goods and are running them on a transformer with no problems, but it is a huge risk. There is the additional problem of the guarantee being voided and servicing and repairs being very expensive, if even possible.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie131
Trying for More Ears

Looks like it is a no go then!

Thanks for the help - gutted as I could get the mixer a good £150-£200 cheaper than here but at least it frees up my luggage space for other purchases, of which i'm sure there will be many!
sophie131 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
You could buy a converter to step up the US voltage to the UK, which is more than double, but the American made appliance will never work as well here. It will overheat and run slow; many US electrical appliances are downright dangerous when used in Europe. Of course no doubt some Dibbers will come on here saying they have bought US electrical goods and are running them on a transformer with no problems, but it is a huge risk. There is the additional problem of the guarantee being voided and servicing and repairs being very expensive, if even possible.
There are safety risks. Most corded appliances in the US only have single insulation on the cables. You require double insulation in the UK.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

One thing buying an iPad quite another buying a mixer.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

The real answer is having a US socket in your kitchen ( specifically for US stuff )

I have done this in our Kitchen, Buy a 110 V converter ( I have used a builders one, they are bright yellow ) sat it in the corner of a kitchen unit, plugged it into a socket in the cupboard, then run the cable back up ( inside the conduit in the wall ) and fitted a US socket

it works very well, its a DIY job or a 2 hour job with a electrician doing it ( who might charge you £ 75 )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
what is the risk ? ? just out of interest

the US Mixer is made to run on 110 Volts
the transformer puts out 110 Volts

i see now issue at all
Old 14 May 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106;13248592,
it works very well, its a DIY job or a 2 hour job with a electrician doing it ( who might charge you £ 75 )
This is not something you should do yourself, the transformer needs adequate ventilation otherwise it will be a fire risk - somewhere along the line you are dumping a significant amount of energy to step this current down - it has to go somewhere and that somewhere is heat.

It's also far more energy inefficient to run an appliance this way so you are killing the polar bears, cooking the bumble bees (or whatever the phrase is)