Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 28 May 18, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lee2112 View Post
I think it’s in a slightly dodgy area of Orlando, like I wouldn’t worry about going there by any means but I wouldn’t wander around at night
What do you base that statement on?
Old 28 May 18, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
What do you base that statement on?
To be fair just north of the mall on Orange Blossom Trail it does get a bit seedy. There are strip clubs etc. It wouldn't put me of going to the mall at all though. I have been numerous times alone with my girls. I wouldn't want to go looking for a public bus stop at night but would be perfectly happy driving or getting a cab.
Old 28 May 18, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
To be fair just north of the mall on Orange Blossom Trail it does get a bit seedy. There are strip clubs etc. It wouldn't put me of going to the mall at all though. I have been numerous times alone with my girls. I wouldn't want to go looking for a public bus stop at night but would be perfectly happy driving or getting a cab.
Exactly. I’ve driven down there many times over the years and it does look seedy, run-down etc.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I've always found it to be safe, we usually park by the hotel and walk through it to get into the mall.

There is a Target nearby but not attached to the mall

google/search?biw=...=1527453738954
That Target is old and small, not one of the newer SuperTarget stores.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Bottom line is it is the best shopping mall around and many many thousands of Brits and locals enjoy the shopping there every year. Would definitely recommend. Well the girls in my family would as they love shopping...

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

The Florida Mall is an indoor shopping centre with a few department stores and smaller chain shops - rather like those you find in the UK in town centres.
Target and Walmart operate from their own separate buildings - rather like B&Q and other warehouse type stores in out-of-town sites in the UK.
The area along the Orange Blossom Trail is primarily commercial premises, but not of the sort that visitors need, rather like industrial estates in the UK. There are lots of areas like that across the US - just urban sprawl that is not especially pretty. No-one walks around there - everyone drives. 'Not pretty' and 'not safe' are not the same thing at all. Unfortunately, there are lots of low income families that can't afford to live in the upmarket villa areas - many in the tourist industry are in that category (including restaurant staff that some Dibbers are reluctant to tip properly).
Yes, there was a shooting some time ago in the Florida Mall car park (near where I usually park), but there have also been shootings on I-Drive. There have even been shootings in churches and in schools - shootings in 23 US schools in the first 21 weeks of this year alone. 17 were shot at a school in Parkland near Ft Lauderdale in February. The students there are now campaigning for common-sense gun laws - this weekend they held a 'die-in' at their local Publix, in protest at the Dibb's favourite grocery store giving money to a politician that supports the gun lobby.
You need to keep this in perspective. 3,174 died in road accidents in Florida in 2016 (including 652 pedestrians, so Dibbers who don't drive are not immune). London now has a higher murder rate than New York, but because of knives, not guns. You are likely to be more at risk from terrorist incidents in the UK (e.g. bombs at concerts or vehicles mowing down pedestrians) than shopping at the Florida Mall.

It is just a case of being sensible.

Edited at 11:53 AM.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Have only been to the Florida Mall once - it was OK but we much prefer the Mall at Millenia. The latter is in a much better area of Orlando than Florida Mall if you are concerned about safety.

If you want high-end brands, they are all present at Mall of Millenia, including Tiffany & Co - which I will be working hard to keep my girlfriend out of in two weeks. (Tiffany & Co + my credit card = her eyes sparkling more than the diamonds!)

If you visit Premium Outlets on North I-Drive, then Mall at Millenia is literally 5mins drive from there. (Take W Oak Ridge Road, go over the Turnpike then take the next left by a 7-11 filling station onto Millenia Blvd - you can't miss the Mall on the right hand side when you get to it).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
amandathepanda
Imagineer

We were at Florida mall 2 weeks ago. I always felt safe, although We went during the day, I don’t think I would feel as safe at night.
What I love about it in particular is the disneystore. Towels which they were selling for $26.99 at World of Disney were only $10 at the Florida mall, lots of Disney items were so much cheaper there.
Old 28 May 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
TICH1952
slightly serious Dibber

We don't drive when over in Florida so we have used the Lynix bus several times in the past with no problems.
I did read a couple of years ago of rental cars being followed by locals and trying to get them to pull over on some pretex or other.
The thing to remember is never stop on the road carry on to a gas station or police station.
TICH1952 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

we normally drive here and felt perfectly safe, though we always pAy attention to our surroundings as the area by the mall hasnt got the best reputation . have caught the bus during the day aswell from the mall back to international drive , have been asked for spare change from locals but i just politely decline and they move on
Orlandoguy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List