Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Mar 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

This is a really helpful and informative post nordictat2girl! Thank you so much for it.

We are looking to book our car hire soon and I am a bit confused at what alamo brits is showing me.

So for example they have -

Midsize: Toyota Corolla or similar
2 or 4-Door/Automatic/Air
£427.44

Midsize: Toyota Corolla or similar
4-Door/Automatic/Air
£430.07

What does the extra £3 give you? Is it just the guarantee that you will get 4 doors?

If I look at the next size up, for standard, they are both listed as four door but with about £2.70 difference in the price.

Does anyone know why each of the classes seem to be broken down into 2 different prices?

Thanks so much!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 16, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
the difference is because you are booking a 4 door. I understand there is no real difference ie you will be directed to the full size row so just book the cheaper package. Saying that, check the other classes. I got a premium car for two weeks for £350 and what you have been quoted seems a lot for a full size.

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RobertWestwood View Post
the difference is because you are booking a 4 door. I understand there is no real difference ie you will be directed to the full size row so just book the cheaper package. Saying that, check the other classes. I got a premium car for two weeks for £350 and what you have been quoted seems a lot for a full size.
Thanks! It's for three weeks, so that might be why its more expensive.

We ended up booking an SUV - my sister's family are getting a a people carrier and I had total car envy and went for the SUV
Old 27 Mar 16, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I got this fleet list from Budget today for their intermediate SUV's.

Budget Car Rental 1:35pm Mar 27
Similar make and models include the following: Ford Escape, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, Subaru Crosstrek, Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback, Mitsubishi Outlander, Jeep Patriot, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, Kia Sportage, Volkswagen Tiguan and Hyundai Tucson.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 16, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
buzzbuzz
VIP Dibber

very helpful. thank you so much for putting this together.
buzzbuzz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 16, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
fynnon
Excited about Disney

fynnon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hopefully someone will find this useful, I have just facebooked Avis to ask what models are in their full size (FCAR) group,their reply was:

Hello! Vehicle make and model is subject to location and availability. Our Full-Size class includes the Ford Fusion, Chrysler 200, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima Sedan, Toyota Camry, Dodge Charger, Chevrolet Malibu, Mazda 6, Kia Optima, Volkswagen Passat, Buick Regal and Hyundai Sonata
1990 HoJo 192 ,1994 MIC Lakefront ,1997 Bass Lakes villa,2005 Formosa gdns villa,2007 Marriot courtyard, Vineland ,2009 HoJo 192 ,2011 Rosen @ Pointe Orlando, 2014. Rosen @ pointe Orlando.2015 Venice/sarasota Shingle Creek/Venice 2016.

fynnon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 16, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Sweet Spot For Booking

Do people find that there is a sweet spot for booking to get the best price?

I ask because I booked a car last year for roughly £16 per day for a 20 day stay. This year i am looking for a 34 day stay and its nearer £23/24 per day for the same cars. I have shopped about on every site. I even checked for 20 day stay again and its still about the same per day.

Last time i booked only a few weeks before my trip and at the moment i am about 4 months away, so just wondering if anyone has experience of this?
irvsax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi everyone, don't know if anyone can help?
I've just booked for next year (July 19th) and have free car hire of a basic car with Alamo (through Thomsons). Looking at the list at the beginning of the thread, it seems I might get a Chevrolet Spark.
I've looked at the smallest cars in order to prepare for the worst as my husband is 6'4"
A Spark doesn't bother me, I used to have one and I know that the kids and I will fit in ok. However, it's the bags, it will be a tight squeeze. But it's only 2 journeys right?

Last time we went, we had free car hire and the other family were fully prepared to pay to upgrade at the airport. We were not and I researched on here. We ended up with a Dodge something or other- Viper? Which was great.

Am I right in thinking that Sanford don't really have any stock of teeny tiny cars so we would be in the minority to actually get one?

I'm happy to take the risk, we'll be taking our GPS from home and I'm happy to drive but when I warned DH that it may be a Spark, he suggested it would be best if he walked from the airport
Old 15 Jun 16, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
m3gt2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kaz2904 View Post
Hi everyone, don't know if anyone can help?
I've just booked for next year (July 19th) and have free car hire of a basic car with Alamo (through Thomsons). Looking at the list at the beginning of the thread, it seems I might get a Chevrolet Spark.
I've looked at the smallest cars in order to prepare for the worst as my husband is 6'4"
A Spark doesn't bother me, I used to have one and I know that the kids and I will fit in ok. However, it's the bags, it will be a tight squeeze. But it's only 2 journeys right?

Last time we went, we had free car hire and the other family were fully prepared to pay to upgrade at the airport. We were not and I researched on here. We ended up with a Dodge something or other- Viper? Which was great.

Am I right in thinking that Sanford don't really have any stock of teeny tiny cars so we would be in the minority to actually get one?

I'm happy to take the risk, we'll be taking our GPS from home and I'm happy to drive but when I warned DH that it may be a Spark, he suggested it would be best if he walked from the airport
I am sure someone will give more advice but I would think it may work against you, they may think your husband will pay to upgrade as he would not fit comfortably in such a small car?
m3gt2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post

So I have now had my email from Thomsons having booked the holiday earlier today.

The email tells me that the insurance included in the package is not enough to drive the car and they will not allow us to take the car without upgrading (at a cost of £560 odd for a teeny tiny car!).

So, closer to our departure date, I shall be hunting around for a cheap deal.
Tsk tsk, naughty Thomsons!