Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Sep 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

7 month window looming...would you risk Poly?

Hi all,

We were supposed to be at the Poly this summer so I’ve my heart set on going. We are booked for April/May 2021 but with the recent monorail and great ceremonial house I don’t want to go to a building site.

Would you risk it for then?

To add we’d need to buy one time use points to have enough points too.

I’m beginning to think the Poly is jinxed for us. 2017 Irma, this year a pandemic, now building work! Gah!

Our other options look to be Boardwalk or Bay Lake (as we’d like to stay near a theme park).
We wanted WLV or GFV as second choice but no chance, hardly anything left.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I've kept our Poly stay for Xmas but only because it's one night. If it was me I'd be going BLT or BWV or even splitting between the two for park access.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn’t, no (unless you don’t care about the GCH)?.

You can walk to the GF or TTC monorail still and the pools I believe are open. But I personally don’t want to be at the Poly if GCH is basically shut.
Old 10 Sep 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
I’ve got two Poly reservations rented out next month to US visitors. I’ve got everything crossed they want to go ahead.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I moved to (eventually) a VGF standard.

The problem is the great unknown.

I can see an argument it may be great and quiet.

But do you want that risk- monorail closed, construction barriers up, noise, no restaurants, devoid of atmosphere etc are all possibilities.

For me, if you can avoid the risk why not do so? The potential upsides of a good stay at a quieter resort are not worth that gamble to me.
Old 11 Sep 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Hi Kelly, In your position with young children, no I probably wouldn’t risk it. For just me & DH I quite like the idea of a potentially deserted resort!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

We would look at a split stay with Poly and possibly BWV garden view studio as that currently has the most availability and uses a lot less points.

And as all of April and May is available in both types of studio at Poly consider rebooking so you have two or more continuous reservations depending on how long you're away for.

Poly will probably be easy to book at 7-months and less due to the construction work so lets say you're going for 2-weeks from 24th April.

We would now make a one-week reservation at Poly from 24th followed by another for how many points/nights we had without buying more.

Poly standard requires 167-points for a week and BWV garden only 132 so we wouldn't need to buy OTUP.

Then at 7-months plus look to change our second reservation at the Poly to a BWV garden and then hopefully walk that reservation through to our first night on the 24th.

Currently the 19th April onwards is fully open in a BWV garden. As we walk the BWV reservation we walk the first week reservation at the Poly.

At that point we then decide to either keep adding nights to BWV if available or go with a split stay.

Having two or more continuous Poly reservations now will make it easier for you to book another resort at 7-plus months and walk it while still keeping your first-week Poly reservation secure.

And if BWV availability changes and that's not an option then with your two ot more Poly reservations use your two waitlist's, hopefully it wil be easier to get one of those compared to one waitlist for all your nights.

Hope that made some sense and good luck.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Thank you SO much for all your responses and opinions and those amazing tips, Br’er Bear!

To complicate matters slightly, we have 3 nights booked at AOA first so we are already moving once. That said the kids will be nearly 5&7 when we next go so it’s defo not beyond the realms of possibility to have a three hotel split. I had a look last night and it would be feasible to do AOA and then riviera or GF for 3 nights and then BWV for the rest.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

I am really concerned about the lobby being closed and the monorail. I know it’s by the TTC though but that can get a bit busy x
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 12 Sep 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I thought the monorail closure was only temporary. On the DVC Facebook pages they are saying the nothing that is currently open will close.

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List