Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 6 Nov 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

The city looks beautiful at night, definitely worth saving your energy to hit the streets in the dark. Those pizzas look delicious!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
A fabulous day. The Capitol Tour was great wasn’t it. I had no idea about the Botanic Garden, so feel we really missed out there.

I’m also gutted that we missed the memorials lit up at night. They look absolutely stunning. We just hadn’t got the energy to go back out.
I'm so pleased we got to do one proper tour. The capitol building was great and we were lucky with our guide. But You also had a good one, so probably it's not luck and they are really good at their jobs. Shame you missed out on the gardens, we probably only spent an hour in there but it was lovely.

We only managed the memorials at night after a very long rest at the hotel. It was worth going back out for.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
The inside of the Capitol Building is beautiful, every room just had so much detail and it's even more amazing that it was free.

Having someone who is passionate about what they do does make it much more enjoyable.

In fact it seems like there's quite a lot to do that's free which is really good.

Chris would love Botanic Gardens, I'm sure he could have spent an age there taking photos

Oh wow, Monument lit up is just beautiful, what a lovely photo.

The pizzas look so nice and definitely well deserved xx
We didn't pay for any excursions, tickets or tours. All the places we went to were free. It's one of the good things about DC compared to New York, but even so I think I preferred NYC.

The Monument was stunning as you can see I couldn't stop taking photos of it. It's very striking. I'm really glad we made the effort to go back out in the evening. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it didn't feel unsafe.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
The city looks beautiful at night, definitely worth saving your energy to hit the streets in the dark. Those pizzas look delicious!
That deep pan pizza was so tasty. Max had a minor strop as he hadn't realised we were all going to share all the halves and have a slice of each. So when we all dug into his he was not happy happy he was right to be cross though as it was delicious I wish I'd had a whole one to myself.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

The tour looks fantastic...amazing how much is on offer for free. Love the glimpse into the Reading Room too.

All the little details on the benches and things at the Botanical Gardens are so cute.

Great idea to go back to see the monuments all lit up, they look lovely.

Haha, poor Max...I’d be sad to share that pizza too!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
The tour looks fantastic...amazing how much is on offer for free. Love the glimpse into the Reading Room too.

All the little details on the benches and things at the Botanical Gardens are so cute.

Great idea to go back to see the monuments all lit up, they look lovely.

Haha, poor Max...I’d be sad to share that pizza too!
The tour was interesting and it was just the right length, not too long for the kids to get bored.

I felt a bit sorry for Max he seriously thought he was getting the pizza to himself and was a bit cross when we all started tucking in. It was the best pizza though, wow, I wish I could find one like it over here.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Thank you for the review of the Capitol tour - it sounds fascinating, and beautiful inside too. The mural painted to look like it's carved looks stunning. I also find the American political system confusing, despite being a "Madam Secretary" fan .

Nice stroll around the gardens too, they look lovely. Good little Walmart haul, I'm not surprised you managed to eat most of it in one day... we would have as well!

The monuments all look great lit up at night, especially the fountains and Lincoln. Definitely worth going back out for. Great way to end the day with delicious pizza.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Thank you for the review of the Capitol tour - it sounds fascinating, and beautiful inside too. The mural painted to look like it's carved looks stunning. I also find the American political system confusing, despite being a "Madam Secretary" fan .

Nice stroll around the gardens too, they look lovely. Good little Walmart haul, I'm not surprised you managed to eat most of it in one day... we would have as well!

The monuments all look great lit up at night, especially the fountains and Lincoln. Definitely worth going back out for. Great way to end the day with delicious pizza.
I'm really pleased we got to do the Capitol tour, again it was free, you've just got to request it in advance. The statues are amazing and hearing the tour guide talk so passionately was fascinating.

We stuffed ourselves with goodies from Wal-Mart, such a shame we didn't find it sooner, it was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The memorials are worth visiting at night, it was good to see them all and I'm glad we made the effort to see the Martin Luther King Jr memorial. That was fab.