Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Dec 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The DC to Atlanta Halloween Coaster Road trip - Augusta & Georgia

We left Carowinds around 2ish and set off for Augusta. We decided to stay the night here as it was half way between Carowinds and our last destination Atlanta, so it would break up the drive.

The drive was uneventful and we arrived at the Hyatt House about 4ish. This was a brand new hotel near the Riverwalk. I think this is the one hotel I forgot to take room photos of but it was very nice and modern. We went to Frog Hollow Tavern for dinner, another highly rated and very popular restaurant. Even with a reservation we had to wait a little while for a table, but we ordered cocktails while waiting which were pretty good.

I had crab bisque to start with, it was served with a cup of sherry that you could pour in. This was really good with loads of crab in the soup.

Neil had pea hummus which was excellent, so fresh and served with so much flatbread.

I had pork shoulder for a main which was served with their award winning mac and cheese. The pork was good but the mac and cheese, wow, it was incredible, so rich and so good. I gave Neil half as it was super filling but really tasty. I swear I took a photo but i can’t find it! We

Neil had the redfish with rice dish which he said was great as well.

I was totally stuffed at this point but managed a few spoonfuls of Neils dessert, an apple crumble with ice cream and caramel sauce.

I think this was probably the most expensive meal of the trip at $120 before tip but it was good!

The next morning we went for a walk down to the River walk. The houses on the other side (which are actually in South Carolina as the river is the state line) were amazing to look at.

Augusta itself was a weird place, the riverwalk and parts of broad street were lovely, but walking a few streets away it felt very run down with lots of derelict and boarded up property. I don’t think it’s somewhere I’d look to return to but I’m sure there’s nicer parts we just didn’t see.

We set off on the drive to our final hotel and stopped at Madison to see some of the old antebellum houses, which was a lovely little town

And then Covington which is where the Vampire Diaries was filmed. It was strange to see places used so often in the series

We had a late lunch at Mystic Grill which was lovely. I had fried chicken and Neil had salmon with rice, I think this including the wine came to about $40.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List