Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jan 20, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Cooke-meister
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Different sizes of pick up at MCO?

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been asked before!

A bit of background first off:

I am looking to rent a large Pick Up (Ford F150/Dodge Ram 1500 etc) from MCO dropping off in Tampa in September 2020.
Always wanted to drive one but all my previous holidays to the States have been road trips with huge one way fees, so thought this would be the perfect chance to get one at a reasonable price!
I can get 2 weeks for around £450 for the large pick up (sometimes classed as premium), BUT I can get an intermediate pick up (Nissan Frontier or similar) for around £360 - both through Alamo.

Which leads me on to my actual question...

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should book the cheaper class and hope that I will be able to just get the larger class anyway? Or just spend the extra £90 to be guaranteed?

I have read that Alamo at MCO do not have a 'Standard' car aisle, and so if you booked a standard size car you would basically be guaranteed a size up. I didn't know if this was the case for pick ups too? As I cant imagine pick ups being in high demand at MCO (but I could be wrong!)?

Many thanks in advance guys
Cooke-meister is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Pickup trucks are a very popular vehicle with US customers.

If you booked an Intermediate Pickup Truck and they only gave you the option of intermediate pickup trucks, would you be disappointed? If you would, then its best to pay the extra for the vehicle you want.

(they have the intermediate and standard/premium pickup truck categories at MCO)

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Cooke-meister

Thanks Andy!

I would prefer the larger pick up (always loved the idea of a beastly Dodge Ram). That really helps as I've hoped for upgrades before, and when I've not got it been really disappointed!

Didn't really think of actual Americans renting from an American airport 😂 oops!

Edited at 08:21 AM.
Cooke-meister is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

Not sure if the case for all pickups, but last trip the couple we saw in the garage didn’t have any rear cover so if it rains your luggage will likely get soaked (when we arrived it was torrential), so something to keep in mind.

We had an SUV but another family piled their cases in the back and drove out - dread to think what their contents were like on arrival as they were not hard bodied cases.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
therealnitr8
I want to go now!

It you manage to get a F150 they have 6 seats. The rear seats fold up and should give you ample space to pile your luggage.
therealnitr8 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

We had a F150 in 2018 and I really enjoyed driving it.
There is more space in the cab in a F150 compared to the Dodge RAMs that were available.

If there is just the 2 of you the smaller class would be fine. If there is more than 2 of you I would go for the larger class as you will likely have bags in the cab with you at least some of the time.
There is a fleet list from 2018 here:

Maybe compare the Chevy Colorado with the Chevy Silverado or Nissan Frontier with the Nissan Titan to get an idea of their relative sizes.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Cooke-meister

Mobile

Wow thank you all for your advice and inputs

There will be 2 of us the majority of the time, but we also have family going in separate cars who may wish to share our pick up some of the days, so think we will go for a larger one.

Planning on putting our own cases and hand luggage in the back of the cab, so hopefully will be ok. I'm assuming any of the 4 door models will have space for luggage in the back of the cab - incase there aren't any F150s available?
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We booked with Andy through discount Florida car hire in 2017. We booked an intermediate car, but upon choosing any vehicle on the left hand side of this isle, there was only pick up trucks, with a very nervous laugh he jumped into the dodge ram🤪🤣 we had a great time driving it around.
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List