Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 30 Dec 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The DC to Atlanta Halloween Coaster Road trip - Atlanta & Journey home

We arrived at Country Inn and Suites Stone Mountain around 4ish. I liked this one much more than the Doswell one, the room just seemed cleaner and a little more modern. Again it came with free breakfast which was standard but plenty of choice.

On Columbus Day we went to Six Flags over Georgia, our last park of the trip! Being honest I wasn’t expecting much from this one, tickets were dirt cheap, I got a 16 month season ticket for $70 which came with free entry for Neil. We decided to try without flash pass as they were really expensive and crowd calendars said it wouldn’t be a busy day. I think we would have accomplished more with flash pass but we did ok without it, and I was pleasantly surprised by this park.

It had an RMC coaster called Wicked Cyclone which while no doubt the weakest of the RMC’s I did, was super smooth and lots of fun, just very short. Dare Devil Dive was a euro fighter which may just be the smoothest coaster I’ve ever ridden, fun stuff.

It had a B&M hyper coaster which was good but definitely my least favourite hyper as it was super rattly.

I rode Blue hawk which was a decent Vekoma

and we both rode Great American Scream Machine.
Wow, this was just painful and probably the roughest coaster I’ve ever ridden, if anyone rode Gwazi at Busch Gardens, it made that seem smooth in comparison. The one that surprised me the most was Mind Bender, it looked rough and was 40 years old, but it was actually fantastic and surprisingly smooth. They also have a Justice League dark ride which was like Spider-Man and men in black cross over and was really good!

The park had long waits on certain rides but we managed to do almost everything we wanted by around 2pm. The food queues however were insane so we decided to grab a snack and eat outside the park.

We got this chocolate covered Halloween marshmallow to tide us over which was yum then headed back to our hotel.

A diner round the corner from our hotel seemed to get good reviews so we thought we’d given it a go. It was busy when we arrived but we were sat at a booth immediately. The menu was huge and everything was so cheap I thought this wasn’t going to be good but I was wrong!

I chose a burger which was fab, cooked a perfect medium and the chips were great too. I couldn’t believe it was only $9. Neil had a tuna melt which was about the same price and was also really good. I could see why this place was busy!

All the cakes looked amazing, I wanted to share a piece but we couldn’t agree on a flavour so got one each.

I can’t show how big these cake slices are in the photo but honestly each slice could have fed a family of 4!
Neil got Tiramisu and I had German chocolate. I thought this might be a case of looks over flavour but again was wrong, they were both really moist and tasted amazing. We nibbled on these over the next 2 days and I still didn’t finish.

That night we went to Netherworld, the reason we’d ended our trip in Atlanta. This is consistently rated the no 1 haunt in America. I was expecting it to be good but was totally blown away. We bought speed passes which were $55 each and included admission and skipping the queue. It wasn’t actually too busy when we went but the queue had still built up. They pulsed the line so we went through by ourselves and wow this had everything, the sheer scale of it was unbelievable, there were vortex tunnels, people flying overhead, people on bungees, giant animatronics, puppets, moving floors, walls etc. I got so many more scares than in a normal haunt, and it was like putting all 10 hhn houses together into 1 big house.

This was by far the best haunt we’ve ever done, we love HHN but this was truly next level and we need to find a way to return some point soon.

The next day we had a late start, went to the cinema to see Joker (excellent by the way!) then packed up for our flight home. We had another reward flight with BA this time in world traveller plus.

We returned the car to the rental car center (which is enormous) then checked in with BA. we used the club lounge again with our Amex priority pass which was croweded but had a decent selection of food and drink

Then we boarded the plane just before 10pm.

This was quite a good flight time as it was nearly 11pm before we took off so I just settled straight down to sleep skipping dinner. The flight was fine, a little bumpy in places but I managed around 4 hours sleep.

We then connected through Heathrow spending the layover in the plaza premium lounge (again with Amex) before our Newcastle flight.

Finally arriving home late afternoon to two very excited dogs.

Overall this was a very different holiday but we truly loved it. We should have probably tried to pack less in, but we rode nearly 40 rollercoasters, got to see DC, visit Dollywood and the best haunted attraction I’ve ever experienced so well worth feeling a little tired on return!
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Great trip report. Would love to visit some of those places one day and the drives in between look beautiful. Thank you.