Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 4 Jan 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Birthday Break to Krakow - 23rd Nov 2019 - Exploring, Shopping & Sunset

Day 1

I didn’t have a great night sleep as I kept waking up with the driest mouth, I was completely dehydrated! The pizza must have had loads of salt in it, can’t possibly be the Cosmos
I did get up and drank some water then went back to sleep until 9.30 Unheard of normally!

We slowly got ready for the day and left the hotel at 10.45 in search of some breakfast. Took a walk around the whole square but couldn’t see anything suitable that was open so ended up at Starbucks which was right next to the hotel.

This is a popular one so had to queue for a while. I got a ham and cheese croissant with a Belgium waffle and caramel sauce and a toasted marshmallow hot chocolate. Jim got 2 ham and cheese croissants, a cinnamon roll and a cappuccino. I noted they had my Starbucks mugs that I collect in stock so I’d be back for them!

Breakfast of champions! Ooh it was all very tasty, you can’t really go wrong with Starbucks can you?

Once done we slowly walked towards Galleria Krakowska which is a shopping centre that I’d heard has a very good bureau de change. It also has a Bath and Body works which might have been a reason for visiting too...
The streets really are lovely and one thing we’d noticed is just how clean everywhere is, literally no rubbish on the streets at all. They obviously take pride in their city, not like London or many other European cities at all!

Found the mall with no problem, started at the bottom and worked our way up. It’s probably their version of Westfields.

I found B&BW and did a bit of damage in there. It’s more expensive than the US but I do really like their products.

Bought 2 large candles which were buy one get one half price. Also bought Hope a body mist, body lotion and shower gel in Rose and myself a body scrub and body lotion in Coco Shea Honey. These were buy 2 get 3 free. Also picked up Hope some Shea infused socks that you wear overnight for soft skin. 405zl altogether.

Popped in a few more shops but most things were more expensive than back home.
I did go into Sephora to buy a lipstick but came away with 2 plus 2 lip scrubs for Hope and I and a lip balm for Hope. Will put hers away for her stocking. 282zl altogether

We now went up to the top of the mall to the Kantor to change up a couple of hundred pounds. We got an exchange rate of 4.95 which was better than Tesco’s rate of 4.60!
We were now shopped out so headed back to the hotel to drop off the heavy bags.

They were putting the finishing touches onto the huge tree in the square

We got back at about 1.15pm
Jim wanted a nap as he had been up since 6 so whilst he did that I just chilled and wrote some notes up then popped over the road to Rossman which is a pharmacy to pick up some drinks and snacks for the room.
Once I got back I woke Jim up and after a quick freshen up we headed out.

This time we went in the other direction out of the hotel, away from the main square and towards the river. It was only a 10-15 minute walk and we ended up by Wawel Castle and the Pod Wawelem Hotel.

I had read that there was a rooftop bar/restaurant so we went in to enquire. Got directed to the lift and went up to the 6th floor.
As it was only about 3.30 it was still really quiet so got a table inside easily. Was a bit nippy to sit outside even though they did have patio heaters.
I went out to take some photos of the sun setting. Couldn’t have timed it better if I tried! Beautiful views of the river and castle

I wasn’t overly hungry as wanted to save room for dinner later so got a portion of nachos from their snack menu with a bowl of peanuts too. Random I know! I also ordered a Cosmopolitan.
Jim being Jim went with a cheeseburger and fries and a beer.
We spent a really lovely couple of hours just chatting and eating. The nachos were very good!

Took a few more photos now that the sun had nearly gone down. The Castle looked stunning all lit up

We left about 5.30 and walked back to the hotel.

Even though I’d had that lie in this morning I felt absolutely shattered so had a cheeky nap which is unheard of for me usually! Jim just watched Transformers.
I woke up at about 7, we slowly got ready to get something to eat.
Left the hotel at about 7.30 and walked round to the Hard Rock Cafe but there was a wait of about an hour so we left it. Another couple of restaurants were also full. We’re not having much luck in eating out over here! It’s funny as it doesn’t seem to be very busy in the city at all but all the eatery’s are fully booked

Eventually found Bonerowska which is a steak and fish restaurant and we got a table in their outdoor heated seating area which is nice and atmospheric.
Straight for the cocktail list, I went for a Peach Gin Fizz with a Pepsi light as I just needed something to drink quickly. Jim went for a beer and a Pepsi light too.
To eat I ordered the Polish Beef Tenderloin with garlic and herb potatoes cooked medium plus. Jim had the T bone steak and fries cooked medium.

My drink went down a treat!

On first impression my dinner looked tiny in comparison to Jim’s huge T bone but it was actually just the right amount and cooked perfectly. Jim wasn’t so lucky as his steak was still practically mooing it was that rare so didn’t really enjoy it as much.

We both had room for dessert so had a creme brûlée each. This tasted nice enough but was quite shallow and not crunchy on top.
Got the bill which was 405zl altogether so quite pricey compared with last night and not for a brilliant meal
We went straight back to the hotel as we both felt exhausted still! Got back at about 10.30, watched some TV then crashed.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The city looks beautiful at night. I also liked your photo of the river with the sun setting. I'm glad you had a Cosmo again today, fingers crossed you didn't have to get up in the night to have re hydrate.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A fab shopping morning, Bath n Body Works and Sephora! I love your sunset pics and that peach gin fizz looks delicious. What a lovely day.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The city looks beautiful at night. I also liked your photo of the river with the sun setting. I'm glad you had a Cosmo again today, fingers crossed you didn't have to get up in the night to have re hydrate.
The city really looks beautiful at night with all the fairy lights. I'm so pleased we timed it right to see the sun setting, so atmospheric.
I do love a Cosmo, thankfully no rehydrating needed!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
A fab shopping morning, Bath n Body Works and Sephora! I love your sunset pics and that peach gin fizz looks delicious. What a lovely day.
I was so happy they had both B&BW and Sephora as they are 2 of my favourites from the US. Thank you, I was really pleased with them I love a good sunset. I'm not usually a gin drinker but that gin fizz was amazing!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’ve just read your whole report, sounds like you had a brilliant weekend! We were supposed to go in March for DH birthday but was cancelled because of Covid 😭 So planning on going next Christmas for our 40th’s instead. Such a pretty city. And a B&BW aswell! I’m in 😂 My mum and sad stayed at the Pod Wawalam in 2016, they said the views from the terrace were outstanding!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List