Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
Discuss with school. It may be they can offer him additional support but at the same time they may consider he’s still learning and will ‘catch up’ in his own time under regular tuition he already has. Definitely monitor the situation but open a dialogue with school about it first.

The more obvious issues could be sight or audio related. Does he need a hearing test and opticians check up?
The schools suggestion was that I’m not doing enough at home. Not very helpful and as a full time working mum of three I do my best. He’s had eye and hearing tests so I know everything is ok there. His speech is quite behind so it’s all linked I think. I’d just like some helpful advice on what I can do to help, I’ll have to try the school again.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
The schools suggestion was that I’m not doing enough at home. Not very helpful and as a full time working mum of three I do my best. He’s had eye and hearing tests so I know everything is ok there. His speech is quite behind so it’s all linked I think. I’d just like some helpful advice on what I can do to help, I’ll have to try the school again.
I was told the same from school about my DD. Age 8 she was diagnosed dyslexic so I very much enjoyed telling school this but a shame the specific teacher concerned had left!

My DD wears glasses and had done since she was four, she’s had hearing test after hearing test and multiple speech therapy assessments. After many years of concern from myself and one year of discussing this with school I took her for assessing and was so relived with the diagnoses (mainly as it meant we could stop looking for an answer and work on tactics to help her).

I’m absolutely not saying this is the case. Children obvs develop at their own pace. However, early speech delay is linked to slow reading ability and both are linked to dyslexia so it’s worth filing that for reference over the next couple of years.

In the meantime, good luck.
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
I was told the same from school about my DD. Age 8 she was diagnosed dyslexic so I very much enjoyed telling school this but a shame the specific teacher concerned had left!

My DD wears glasses and had done since she was four, she’s had hearing test after hearing test and multiple speech therapy assessments. After many years of concern from myself and one year of discussing this with school I took her for assessing and was so relived with the diagnoses (mainly as it meant we could stop looking for an answer and work on tactics to help her).

I’m absolutely not saying this is the case. Children obvs develop at their own pace. However, early speech delay is linked to slow reading ability and both are linked to dyslexia so it’s worth filing that for reference over the next couple of years.

In the meantime, good luck.
I have had concerns about dyslexia but thought he was too young to be concerned yet. I don’t know a lot about it though. I personally think he needs speech therapy and don’t understand how he can progress with phonics if he can’t speak properly. Especially when I can see the gap between him and the other children. He’s one of the eldest in the year as well. I think I might need to push a bit harder. My DH is dyslexic, I’m not sure if it can be hereditary? It’s funny because the school he goes to is one of the best in our county but they seem to only really focus on the children that work at greater depths (my eldest DS who is in year 6 at the same school gets extra lessons and tuition because he works far beyond his age) rather than the children that need extra help. They seem to be all about the results and the scores and where they rank in the tables which I find disappointing.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
I have had concerns about dyslexia but thought he was too young to be concerned yet. I don’t know a lot about it though. I personally think he needs speech therapy and don’t understand how he can progress with phonics if he can’t speak properly. Especially when I can see the gap between him and the other children. He’s one of the eldest in the year as well. I think I might need to push a bit harder. My DH is dyslexic, I’m not sure if it can be hereditary? It’s funny because the school he goes to is one of the best in our county but they seem to only really focus on the children that work at greater depths (my eldest DS who is in year 6 at the same school gets extra lessons and tuition because he works far beyond his age) rather than the children that need extra help. They seem to be all about the results and the scores and where they rank in the tables which I find disappointing.
In my experience (& from research) YR3/age8 ish is where it will stand out as dyslexia. Earlier than that there could be a variety of other factors. There is an hereditary link but not a guarantee (no-body in either of our families is dyslexic until my 8yr old).

Make an apt to discuss fully with the school. Parents evening etc isn’t really the best time as they have a small window for you and they’ve already decided what they’re saying to you. I tend to email I want an apt with them but once that’s confirmed I’ll email my concerns in writing so they have them in advance and can prepare.

When my DD was 7 I spoke to school about dyslexia being a possibility and they did some preliminary assessments and a speech therapist assessment and said no. Six months later we re-visited (literally the month she turned 8) and I paid for her to be assessed officially six months after this following on from some very successful dyslexic based interventions school had already put in place once she turned 8
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

I used to regularly read with year r and 1 and onwards and there was a vast spectrum of ability. Some children - including my son - simply didn't get the stringing together of sounds - I'd help them and encourage them by sounding them out C ahhh T but they would just not get it a all.

But we stuck with it and one day - for each child - it just seemed to click.

One child in particular really struggled and for some years was behind for some primary years - now he's thriving at grammar school

I myself could read when I started school at four and just imagined it would be the same for all. But that wasn't fair in hindsight and rather like toilet training, things will click when they naturally clixk
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
molly48
Excited about Disney

My daughter has spoken to the teacher. She has told her she does understand and is doing ok. Her main problem is she is painfully shy, her teacher said they are trying to work through that and hopefully she will come out of her shell eventually. She is the only one in her class who is 4 she was only 4 in August. It is a big age difference between 4 and 5. They have said the main thing is she loves going to school. So just encourage her as much as possible when she does her reading at home.

1995 /1998 Disney All star music 1997 Quality inn plaza 2000 Caribbean beach 2004 Calabay parc
2005 southern dunes 2007/2008 Indian creek villa
2015 Avanti hotel / 2018 dibb villa Solterra. Port Orleans french quarter 2020
molly48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List