Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

One of our previous houses didn’t have a dropped kerb. Someone previous to us had put some concrete in to make a small ramp which wasn’t great.

However, we never had any issue with it being parked across and parking was very tight on the street. There was sometimes someone parked very close to the drive but not over it.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We have a hard stand for my car and a drive for DH car
We don’t have a dropped kerb but I can manage to reverse into the hard stand from the edge of our drive.
When we moved in the solicitor said that people could park in front of the hard stand as the kerb isn’t dropped.
Luckily our road is busy and most people are pretty considerate, and most have drives but further up the road parking is a nightmare with most houses having 2/3 cars and works vans.
Your neighbour is being inconsiderate and the only way you can stop that is with a dropped kerb.
Apparently the council costs for surveying etc here before you are allowed to begin the process is £700
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

If you don't drop the kerb, I think you would be breaking the law every time you parked on the drive as you aren't allowed to cross the footpath otherwise.

Also, if someone parks and blocks you in, or prevents you from getting on, you will be able to do nothing at all about it as they won't be breaking any rules. In fact, they would simply be preventing you from breaking the law!

If you get it dropped, then nobody can park over the dropped part. Where I live if someone does that you can call the council and they will come out and ticket the car. And you get the bonus that you can actually park over the dropped bit yourself - or your visitors can.
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

We rent our property but have a driveway without a dropped kerb - no-one ever parks in front of it but it is a completely pain driving up the kerb each day to get onto the drive. We've asked our landlord numerous times if he we can have a dropped kerb to avoid damage to the car but I think he must be related to your contractor as he really doesn't see the need!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

As others have said you need a dropped kerb, otherwise the council could say that you are damaging the kerb and make you pay for repairs. Plus it will damage your car in the end.

If I see an empty drive without a dropped kerb it is perfectly reasonable to park there and if that is the only space I will do. I do giggle when I see signs saying drive in constant use or traffic cones in the road reserving their spaces.

You can also get a white line painted, it will have to be done through the council, so that people know not to park too close. This gives you more clout if they continue to park so close.

As he hit your car, though can you prove it, you can report it to the police as he has not given you his insurance details.
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I think I would be dropping the contractor! Clearly he is not aware of the law!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
As others have said you need a dropped kerb, otherwise the council could say that you are damaging the kerb and make you pay for repairs. Plus it will damage your car in the end.

If I see an empty drive without a dropped kerb it is perfectly reasonable to park there and if that is the only space I will do. I do giggle when I see signs saying drive in constant use or traffic cones in the road reserving their spaces.

You can also get a white line painted, it will have to be done through the council, so that people know not to park too close. This gives you more clout if they continue to park so close.

As he hit your car, though can you prove it, you can report it to the police as he has not given you his insurance details.

The thing is lizzy some people are so unreasonable and malicious, I saw a car in our local supermarket here once .. it had “don’t not park here “ scratched in 6 inch high letters all down the passenger side, honestly I was shocked people would go that far .. but my sister had someone near her like it and he would put stuff under the tyres to puncture them and they could not catch him doing it .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd definitely get the kerb dropped & if you're not bothered with block paving look at doing the driveway yourself. We've done slabbing and gravel ourselves in previous houses, hard work but saved a fortune.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a drive, where it was made bigger a few years ago it stretches across so we do need a dropped kerb but were told it's expensive?
Old 20 Jan 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
We have a drive, where it was made bigger a few years ago it stretches across so we do need a dropped kerb but were told it's expensive?
it is expensive but it is a legal requirement - we were the first to do it in my road which has very thin pavements and I had to pay the council £1300 or there abouts to drop the kerb. Since then the majority of my road have done it and most of them haven't paid to get the kerb dropped(I am not going to lie it does annoy me they haven't as they are first to complain if it someone parks across it) I have kept all my paperwork from the council to say mine was done legally .